• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[3 Cuba Threads - merged]

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
in Cuba.

If the US government lifts or eases the embargo to allow travel and perhaps investment, how long before the first timeshare opens up for sales?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think it will be a while and even then it will start with and perhaps mainly end up as AI's. The reason DR has so many AI's is that when they started to push tourism, they didn't have the infrastructure of restaurants, especially those that could cater to foreign (English speaking) tourist. Rather than build up general amenities and tourist centers throughout the island, they opted to let each resort build AI "cities."

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
timeshares in Cuba

The US is normalizing relations with Cuba.
Travel restrictions have yet to be lifted, but assuming that they will be:
Are there timeshares in Cuba?
If so, which exchange companies handle them?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they will keep timeshares out of Cuba.

No need to bring those problems there.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Personally, I am looking forward to going to Cuba in the not too distant future. Timeshares? Meh. I think I would be more interested seeing and meeting the locals vs. staying at some big resort.

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of big resorts and hotels there now. Canadians, Mexicans, and Europeans have been going to Cuba for all the decades Americans have been artificially banned- by our government, not theirs.

As to timeshares, it will probably be some time before 'relations' are 'normalized' enough to allow U.S. corporations to open facilities, and keep the profits 'in house', and not share with the local revenue authorities. After all, that's what a top-down managed, centrally controlled economy does. China is an excellent example.

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I wonder why foreign corporations haven't built timeshares in Cuba? Perhaps simply not possible under their regime?

Last edited:

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think travel restrictions will be lifted anytime soon. That's something congress has to ok and I don't think this congress will do it.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tonight's CBS News showed the logos of US corporations anxious to do business in Cuba. Along with Major League Baseball and Cisco was Marriott's logo.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I'm surprised there aren't timeshares there now. For all these years it's been, as I understand it, essentially a one nation embargo. Nearly everyone else in the world is open for business with Cuba. It's sort of like one very wealthy person in a city of millions boycotting Walmart and expecting them to close their doors because he won't do business with them anymore.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The Spanish hotel and timeshare group Sol Melia may well be the first. They already have a timeshare presence in Mexico and the Caribbean, and they have a newly built large hotel complex, part of which is perfect for timeshares (and was probably built with timeshare in mind).

Fern

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cuban timeshares have been in the works since the late 90's. The hurdle is the foreign ownership of property in Cuba. The change in US policy towards Cuba does nothing to change this.

Besides, new timeshares in Cuba will just lead to posts of, "Help! I was bribed into a sales presentation with the promise of a box of Cuban cigars. Now I own a Cuban timeshare that I do not want. This was months ago. How do I get out of it?"

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Cuban timeshares have been in the works since the late 90's. The hurdle is the foreign ownership of property in Cuba. The change in US policy towards Cuba does nothing to change this.

Besides, new timeshares in Cuba will just lead to posts of, "Help! I was bribed into a sales presentation with the promise of a box of Cuban cigars. Now I own a Cuban timeshare that I do not want. This was months ago. How do I get out of it?"

Isn't this much the same as Mexico, they could just use RTU instead of deeded property?

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Loved this, very funny. :D
Sadly, probably all too true.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
I look forward to the cruiseships stopping there for the day, they sail right by it now. That will provide a convenient way to check out Cuba for the 1st time. I'll skip the TS's for now.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cuba?

Always wanted to go...Hopefully soon....I'm thinking 2016...How about u?

USA has had a contingency plan for past 10 years...IMO, there will be a helluva lot of growth soon...Can't wait!!!

persia

Reaction score
Went a couple of times on my Aussie passport, it was a great place to visit, but don't think it's an "undiscovered paradise," It's long been a favourite with Canadians and Europeans (and Americans who realised they didn't stamp passports).

There was a real sense of change this year when they began stamping passports and American customs agents turned almost nonchalant about the stamps, letting American tourists know they saw them but passing them through without hassle. 5 years ago a Cuban visa in an American passport would have earned you a nice chat in a private room, now they just want to know about cigars and alcohol...

Always wanted to go...Hopefully soon....I'm thinking 2016...How about u?

USA has had a contingency plan for past 10 years...IMO, there will be a helluva lot of growth soon...Can't wait!!!

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here.

I was supposed to go on a medical visit several+ years ago, but due to possible government repercussions for going on an unsanctioned visit, I cancelled. Yes, I caved.

Can't wait. Am searching different trip itineraries. Would like to go on a blended tourist and legal trip spending time seeing the country, people and courts of law.

=

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I look forward to the cruiseships stopping there for the day, they sail right by it now. That will provide a convenient way to check out Cuba for the 1st time. I'll skip the TS's for now.

This will be an excellent way for a first visit for Americans. The Cuban infrastructure will need some time to adjust and build up for hundreds of million American visitors with pent-up demand. So far the only hotels are 'owned' by the government and operated by the military, so a nice comfy cruise ship will make a pleasant place to stay after a day ashore buying rum and cigars and listening to music.

Jim

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would be like going back 50 years in time. Not quite like Miami. I would love to go and hopefully will sometime in the near future.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wanna see Cuba? Just come to Miami. ;)

A guy who works with me 40+ hours a week said just about the same thing ... (been back here 13 years ago) ... having lived in South Florida for over 10 years --- he doesn't need to go to Cuba. ;)