• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI down all day - anybody else worried?

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm not a sky is falling kind of person but I always wonder on these longer "maintenance" shutdowns. What the heck are they tweaking? It can't truly be to fix things because the same things are still broken.

And I'm annoyed that I have some time today for some serious daydreaming/vacation surfing and half the resources I use are gone - Interval only for me, I guess.

Bev

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too often when these extended maintenace days happen, so do some negative ''enhancements'' (a truly Orwellian term of corporate Newspeak that seems to have originated with the airlines when they wanted to downgrade some aspect of their ff programs). You are quite correct to be concerned about what kind of Easter present RCI has in mind for its members.

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
Made an exchange yesterday...think I broke it!?! :eek:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's Easter Sunday. There may be no one there doing maintenance. Easier to leave up the 'Down for Maintenance' message than post that nobody's home.

Jim

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's Easter Sunday. There may be no one there doing maintenance. Easier to leave up the 'Down for Maintenance' message than post that nobody's home.

Jim

"Because your vacation means the world to us" :hysterical: :rofl: :hysterical:

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I am getting worried. This morning it said the RCI site will be down until 6 pm eastern. I went to the site to see if I can figure out what they changed and now the web site says that it will be down until 10 PM EDT.

They are running into some major problems on whatever fixes/changes/ upgrades/downgrades that they are working on

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I am getting worried. This morning it said the RCI site will be down until 6 pm eastern. I went to the site to see if I can figure out what they changed and now the web site says that it will be down until 10 PM EDT.

They are running into some major problems on whatever fixes/changes/ upgrades/downgrades that they are working on

Just went to check and noticed they extended the time--Dawn

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Starwood is closed for Easter today.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score

Now showing site down tilll 11pm EDT.

I've noticed via the Wyndham points portal, some adjustments to the point requirements for a few weeks I've been eyeballing at a drive to location for me. Of course this adjustment was to the upside. ;) but it is a 2012 week.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The simplest explanation is that they gave many staff the day off, and are behind on whatever they normally would have done overnight due to being short-staffed.

Or, they are just screwing with us. That's possible too. ;)

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or, they are just screwing with us. That's possible too. ;)

You know there are a few that are probably working themselves up about this, won't go to sleep tonight till they can log in and see for themselves.

equitax

TUG Member
Reaction score
SSA.gov is down also

Need I worry?:rofl:

scotus

Reaction score
Login

I am a points member. Keeps giving me a login error.

scotus

Reaction score
login

I just tried the retrieve username function, put in my name and account number, said my account number can't be found. :confused:

scotus

Reaction score
Login

They spent over a day working on it.......nice.

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's working for me and I don't see anything different. A couple of exchanges I have been looking at are the same.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
This thread gets started every year. For as far back as I can remember, RCI always shuts down Easter weekend and for a weekend in Oct. It's nothing new. The world is not coming to an end!

GTStone

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI down

Its called computer programming. For all you test in the "lab", going live with full data can have issues. Ask any large organization that goes through updating a service based system and they will tell you the same thing.

First, all data is backed up. Then all the "sub prorgrams" may have to be updated. They may also be adding in the core for new features which won't turn on immediately. However, rather then have multiple small shutdowns to add these libraries, they do it all at once ... then they start activating the features.

Computers and programs are incredibly complex systems. In addition, the call for mobile interfaces ( iphone, ipad apps and more ) makes it all even more complex.

Obviously, when doing a significant update, some people will be inconvenienced. I'll guess their own stats show Easter to be a relatively low useage day, and thus a good time to impact the fewest people.