• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Straight Talk prepaid wireless service question

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife's cell phone just broke, she not under contract, and we don't want to play that 2 year agreement to save on a new phone. We were looking at that Straight Talk $45 unlimited plan. A guy I work with swears that it's the best plan he has ever had. Does anyone here have any good or bad things to say about Straight Talk.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My wife's cell phone just broke, she not under contract, and we don't want to play that 2 year agreement to save on a new phone. We were looking at that Straight Talk $45 unlimited plan. A guy I work with swears that it's the best plan he has ever had. Does anyone here have any good or bad things to say about Straight Talk.

I know our son (26 years old) has it and he swears by it. I think he has a Samsung Galaxy phone with the plan. Lives up in New Hampshire- Lakes region- no issues.

staceyeileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have used Straight Talk for 1.5 years now. No complaints. We will never go back to contract plans again.

Just so you know, you do not have to purchase the phone from Straight Talk. You can bring your own device. The phones they offer are pretty limited. Depending on your budget, there are a lot of good options for an unlocked GSM phone. My favorite that won't break the bank is the Moto G. DH and I have the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 purchased directly from Google play.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year (13 months ago) I brought a $10 basic flip phone for placing local yard sign placards. The Straight Talk Phone (also a tracfone company) has perform well - I use ONLY the phone & text functions by NOT having set up voice mail - my target population for this business USES texting mostly. I monitor my available minutes and buy a 90 day card to extend the service. This phone came with DOUBLE minutes (texting uses partial minutes).

Last month, I caught a QVC Daily Special (24 hour very low price offer) for a Straight Talk Phone Smart phone for $99 with lifetime TRIPLE minutes. My Verizon personal family phone (a flip phone) was out of contract and I JUMPED on to the phone and brought it. I ported my number and terminated the Verizon contract (for that phone) - took about an 90 minutes to set up with the number transfer terminating my Verizon $60-70 monthly charge. The QVC special was 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, 1.2 GIG DATA (the tripled numbers) with 1 year service on the smart phone. Yes, there was a slight language zitch with getting it going - but I called during a slow service time and the phone got LIVE inside of 75 minutes.

I also set this phone up with ONLY CALL and TEXT service - no Voice Mail - relatives will get with it - TEXT ME or call me back later.

My 3rd cell will be out of contract in 11 months. It is the SMART phone I managed to lose 4 days ago. It had insurance and I loved the phone - but I have to pay $99 to get the new one. I put its older version back on and will mostly bite the bullet and pay the $99 to get a clone phone back (I was hoping it would come out of its hiding place). And when its contract is over, I will again get a non-contract (Smart Phone) - whatever service is best them.

So, my HIGH bills for Cell Phone service was about $170 monthly. The contract phone service is down to $60 plus $7 and $7 per month for the other 2 lines ($74 monthly). 11 more months. I will activate Voice Mail on the future 3rd Straight Talk phone - its client base is NOT the texting population.

And my 2 "landline phones have been Ooma service for the last 13 months (under $5 total - down from over $100+ monthly).

Last edited:

M. Henley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Straight Talk

Have had the straight talk plan for about four years and my wife has had it for two. Straight talk mostly uses the AT&T and Verizon backbones, so the one you will end up on will depend on the phone that you purchase (or bring along).

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
My son has my GF's old iPhone 4S (ATT version).

I had ATT unlock it (It was out of contract) and gave it to him with a Straight Talk card in it.

It works perfectly and like other's said, it's using ATT's towers so there really is no difference.

I guess the LTE speeds aren't as fast as ATT's but it still plenty fast for most use. (The 4S is not an LTE phone BTW)