• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI or II - need to join one or the other

Bevie01

Reaction score
we are owners at the Grand Mayan Resort and have two weeks each year and two "vacation fair" that we can also use. We like to go to our home resort in Nuevo Vallarta but due to family issues we can't this year. Our RCI membership expires this month and I'm looking to either renew with them or switching to II. We want to exchange into St John, USVI or Puerto Rico and II has more options than RCI. Any thoughts or suggestions from the experienced traders out there would be appreciated.

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really like Il and get great trades and very good customer service and lots of bonus weeks. I even have my own agent I call. I have not used RCI.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Would you have enough trading power to get into any of those places with II? Mexico is typically a pretty poor trader.

At least with RCI, you can combine several weeks (can the bonus weeks you get be deposited?) and get something you wouldn't have been able to see with a single week.

I've only started to use II. They do have some very nice resorts, but the quantity of inventory doesn't compare to RCI, at least for most of the places I have looked.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to consider SFX as an option. Many on this board really like SFX.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The Westin St. John is a very difficult exchange. There is far more demand than supply, it takes a strong trader, and Starwood owners have first priority for any availability. There is no reliable way to get it on an exchange. Your best bet is probably to rent from an owner - surprisingly, the rental rates are not as high as you would expect.

Last edited:

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I belong to both, but am not much of a fan of II. Their procedures don't fit my travel and planning styles as well as RCI. I would drop them if I didn't own one resort that is II only.

RCI has a lot of quirks, but it gets me a lot of good exchanges and I've been relatively happy with them through the years.

Sheila

stanleyu

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a number of years we had both - two different time shares, one with II, the other with RCI. I REALLY liked II's last minute (60 days, I believe) trades, where you could trade anything for anything (week for week, but upgrade for free). We used to regularly trade into Orlando (which has a great over-abundance of units) in that window and would get 2 and 3 bedroom units for our limited kitchen 1BR trade. I knew I could always wait till the end and have no problem getting a trade, except possibly in the Christmas and Easter weeks.

What I didn't like about II was that my limited kitchen and floating weeks had almost no trading power except that Orlando area.

our RCI week had similar trading problems, but now with RCI points we can combine several year's worth to get a better trade. MUCH better from our perspective. And what really sold us on RCI is the ability to trade into Disney Vacation Club.

One other plan I really like is under the VRI umbrella. With that we could use a poor trade and upgrade to a better unit by paying an "out of season" fee. Made our trade much more valuable.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been trading with Wyndham which is only a fair trader in II. If you are flexible, you can get great trades. We go to Marriotts most of the time.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love II, not so much RCI. RCI fees are quite a bit higher than II. II also has Starwood, Marriott, Four Seasons and Hyatt and Shell. RCI only has a couple of older Starwood resorts.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI also has a handful of Marriott and Shell properties, but nowhere near as much as II. If you don't own in the chain, though, isn't it fairly hard to get prime units or weeks through II? I know that one of the properties I would like to exchange for on II is Harborside at Atlantis, and I've been told that it's just about impossible without Starwood preference.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI also has a handful of Marriott and Shell properties, but nowhere near as much as II. If you don't own in the chain, though, isn't it fairly hard to get prime units or weeks through II? I know that one of the properties I would like to exchange for on II is Harborside at Atlantis, and I've been told that it's just about impossible without Starwood preference.

I thought all Shell TS moved from RCI in 2011 to II in Jan 2012?

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Shell is now with II.

I like RCI for the variety but not the high fees. I can get quite a few exchanges for my 55 TPU week

II a really have gotten great exchanges and shell seems to trade very well.

This year, I got 2 of my Hawaii weeks, Hanalei Bay and Maui Schooner from trading Places.

Next Fall, I booked Molokai through Platinum.

The thing about the last 2 are no membership fees and lower exchange fees.

I only used SFX once and my week wasn't one of their "preffered" week and it did not do very well but they seem to have a realtionship with Grand Mayan so you might do very well with them