• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using a foreign (German) notary public to notarize a Florida deed?

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am selling one of my weeks at Vistana Resort in Orlando.

As I am living in Germany I can not use an US notary public to have the deed notarized but will have to use a German notary.

The (not so reputable) closing company tells me that it is fine to just have the German notary notarize the signature and that is it.

"As long as their seal is affixed with their signature we will not run into any issues."

I always thought you need to have an apostille added to a real estate deed notarization by a foreign notary(which costs 6 times as much as the notarization).

Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Thanks a lot!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another possibility....

Are you near enough to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate office to get a U.S. notarization there?

Dave H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am selling one of my weeks at Vistana Resort in Orlando.

As I am living in Germany I can not use an US notary public to have the deed notarized but will have to use a German notary.

The (not so reputable) closing company tells me that it is fine to just have the German notary notarize the signature and that is it.

"As long as their seal is affixed with their signature we will not run into any issues."

I always thought you need to have an apostille added to a real estate deed notarization by a foreign notary(which costs 6 times as much as the notarization).

Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Thanks a lot!

From a German notary, the main thing you have to make sure is everything they do is in english or it has to be translated ot be recorded. You will be ok on that side. The US Embassy is you are close or if you are in the military, the JAG office or a CO can do it as well.

Dave

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
From Florida Statutes...

695.03 Acknowledgment and proof; validation of certain acknowledgments; legalization or authentication before foreign officials.
(3) WITHIN FOREIGN COUNTRIES. -- If the acknowledgment, legalization, authentication, or proof is made in a foreign country, it may be made before... before a notary public of such foreign country or a civil-law notary of this state or of such foreign country who has an official seal... and the certificate of acknowledgment, legalization, authentication, or proof must be under the seal of the officer. A certificate legalizing or authenticating the signature of a person executing an instrument concerning real property and to which a civil-law notary or notary public of that country has affixed her or his official seal is sufficient as an acknowledgment...

and yeah, it needs to be in English.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each state has its own laws on this subject, so it is good that someone gave you the Florida law.

Because of language and sometimes form differences, I would always suggest getting a notarization at the US Consulate, which is valid in all 50 states and is, of course, in English and in a recognizable form. I think the fee is $10 if I recall correctly.

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help.

I will just try it without an apostille and see where it leads.

If it is not accepted, the deed has to be redone.

I tried the US consulate once which was a lot of hassle: You make an appointment about two weeks out, wait in line for security check, are trying to find the counter that matches the complex system of waiting-numbers, wait at the counter, find two witnesses from the other waiting people (who are mainly Germans who would never sign anyhting they do not fully understand and are afraid to miss their own appointment if they act as whitnesses) as the consulate employees are not allowed to act as whittneses.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess that varies by country. Here it is pretty simple. Just show up on one of the days the consulate is open for US citizen matters, go through security (no biggie here), go to the window and get your name on the list, wait 10 or 15 minutes, and then get it done. I have also used local notaries for in-country documents, and the waiting is actually longer at one of their offices.

Thanks for all your help.

I will just try it without an apostille and see where it leads.

If it is not accepted, the deed has to be redone.

I tried the US consulate once which was a lot of hassle: You make an appointment about two weeks out, wait in line for security check, are trying to find the counter that matches the complex system of waiting-numbers, wait at the counter, find two witnesses from the other waiting people (who are mainly Germans who would never sign anyhting they do not fully understand and are afraid to miss their own appointment if they act as whitnesses) as the consulate employees are not allowed to act as whittneses.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
1. Without the acklnowledgment being properly completed, your deed cannot be recorded in the public records of the county, and thus will not be acceptable.
-- A few closing services will use their in-house notary to "finish" a deed, which is quite illegal and if discovered, will invalidate the deed.

2. You only need one additional person to act a witness. The notary can also sign as one of the witnesses. Its two different functions -- the witness sees you sign it, the notary says that you are the person who's name is on the deed. I've done plenty of these (in Florida) and its common practice.

Last edited: