• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI vs II..

peppersmom

Reaction score
What is the difference between RCI and II? Which is the better of the two as far as exchange companies...If your TS is with RCI, can you use II? Thanks in advance...this is all new to me

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are differences, but not a lot. RCI has more resorts. Arguably II has 'better' ones, but RCI has DVC and HGVC, so it's no slouch. Basically you sign on with whichever exchange company your resort is associated with. Some are dual affiliated so you can choose. As far as I know it's an either/or exchange deal between those two, however there are independent exchange companies, like SFX, Platinum, and others where you can deposit a week from anyone and select from their choices.

There is no way I can give a tutorial here in a few sentences. Study TUG. Ask questions, but 'exchanging' is just too big a subject to address at all easily or completely. Find out which exchange your resort is associated with and learn to use it to the maximum and you'll do fine.

Plus I see you've posted this to a Point System forum, so there are many other point systems and considerations. RCI has their Points, but II prefers to use their resorts' point systems like Marriott and others. Wyndham has theirs, VI has theirs, and DRI has theirs and more.

In short, there simply is no 'Best'. What may work well for me may not work for you and what system is 'best' for you may be unusable for me.

Looking back through your posts, OP, have you bought a TS yet? You've asked the 'Which resort? Which eBay seller?, Why buy resale?, How about Westgate, Marriott, etc. etc.? Now it's Which Exchange company?

This timesharing is not particularly difficult, but does require a little time commitment to get the most out of it. But to make it easy, you said in another post that you used and liked Marriott. So buy Marriott. If you want simple, buy a fixed week between weeks 23 & 33. Then you don't have to worry about which exchange, and even though you're buying into an expensive system, you are getting what you want, not paying extra to belong to- and use- an exchange. And when you REALLY want to go somewhere else, use an independent exchange- like SFX or Platinum that doesn't cost to belong to and LOVES Marriotts and will give you bonus weeks for yours.

Jim

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I would add Dial An Exchange, VRI*ety (if your resort is managed by VRI), and DVU to the list of other exchange companies.

These are free or very inexpensive to join, the exchange fees are lower than the big two, but, there are fewer choices of where to exchange.

Explore them all and don't just settle on the one your resort is affiliated with, IMO.

I use all 3 of the above and have never had a need to join II or RCI even though some of my resorts are affiliated with them. Of course these may not work for your style of vacationing.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Platinum Interchange is good too, with their 3-for-1 exchange offers.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like the hotel branded timeshares like Westin and Marriott, which are quite nice, you need II or the independents. In addition to the alternatives already cited, SFX is also a popular independent exchange company.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between RCI and II? Which is the better of the two as far as exchange companies...If your TS is with RCI, can you use II? Thanks in advance...this is all new to me

Which is the better for dinner - Beef or Chicken?

Which is the better to visit - France or Germany?

Which is the better car - VW or Audi?

Which is the better young actress - Emmy Rossum or Kristin Cavallari?

Which is the better mountain to climb - K2 or Kangchenjunga?

All subject to "opinion" - buy an MROP membership and you can use either II or RCI as well as VRI*ity, PI, SFX and MROP's internal.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It also depends on what you own. If it is not affiliated with both you don't have to worry about it. If it trades through both it depends both what you are looking to trade into and what you own.

I have a prime studio that gets 40 TPU's from RCI. It can pull almost anything in off season and shoulder season in RCI. It can pull a decent amount of 1 bedrooms and 2 bedrooms during prime time. In II it could only pull a studio in prime and a 1 bedroom in shoulder season. It could only pull 2 bedrooms during off season and even during the off off season could not pull most 3 bedrooms sitting in the II inventory. This is II's version of like for like- size matters more than demand. It works the other way too. A 2 bedroom (rated or non rated resort) during the off season or shoulder season has more pull in II than in RCI in many cases.

Corinne1123

TUG Member
Reaction score
After reading this threat, just thinking - would there be an advantage to alternating between RCI and II from year to year (or two years at a time)? The problem is you need at least a year to reserve a high demand week and also there is no discount for one year at a time. Some years I would like to go to Disney and some years I might like to try a Marriott or Westin. I've been pretty happy with RCI bt would like to try some of the higher end resorts that II has with my Worldmark preference. I think you could do this but would really have to plan out several years in advance.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After reading this threat, just thinking - would there be an advantage to alternating between RCI and II from year to year (or two years at a time)? The problem is you need at least a year to reserve a high demand week and also there is no discount for one year at a time. Some years I would like to go to Disney and some years I might like to try a Marriott or Westin. I've been pretty happy with RCI bt would like to try some of the higher end resorts that II has with my Worldmark preference. I think you could do this but would really have to plan out several years in advance.

I don't know the answer to the question I'm about to ask but it deals with the situation you propose. If you make an exchange with either company for the future and your membership lapses, are you still entitled to the exchange? If you are entitled to the exchange and you have a problem can you get any support from them now that you are no longer a member?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to the question I'm about to ask but it deals with the situation you propose. If you make an exchange with either company for the future and your membership lapses, are you still entitled to the exchange? If you are entitled to the exchange and you have a problem can you get any support from them now that you are no longer a member?

With II, it is systemically impossible to do an exchange further out than the expiration of the membership, so that scenario would be moot. I would presume the same goes for RCI.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
With II, it is systemically impossible to do an exchange further out than the expiration of the membership, so that scenario would be moot. I would presume the same goes for RCI.

Yup. In order to make a reservation in RCI, it has to be within your membership period and MFs have to be paid up on your resort(s) you want to use for the exchange.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yup. In order to make a reservation in RCI, it has to be within your membership period and MFs have to be paid up on your resort(s) you want to use for the exchange.

There I am over thinking things again. I use a couple free exchange companies so this never occurred to me.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Last edited:

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score

In addition to the fact that you need a valid membership from the time of booking to the time of check-out:

With the 2-for-1 deals for Worldmark owners (you have to watch for them and be tapped into a source where you can learn about them when they happen - WMOwners.com), II or RCI membership is only about $45 per year. It's not expensive, in the realm of exchanges, to own both membership (exchange fees are close to $200 at RCI and $150 at II; travel expenses for most fly-to locations are even more expensive; $45 is not much, comparatively).

moormc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I loathe RCI

I sold my 2 Wyndham timeshares and RCI confiscated my 287,000 points I had with them. I was paid in full for all of these points with Wyndham and RCI. Never again will I participate with or stay in anything associated with Wyndham or RCI. These timeshare companies look for any reason to take your money. They need to recruit some true hospitality professionals out of their hotel sides to change the culture of these customer fleecing vultures. No experience with II or Platinum but my RCI experience is enough to keep me away from timeshares for the rest of my life. The kicker is I loved staying in them. Expansion of my business would not allow time away for awhile so I decided to sell and repurchase in a 3 or 4 years.

Bourne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having traded in both systems for over a decade, I prefer RCI over II by a long margin. Many reasons but the ultimate one is..

With RCI, the TPU "cost" is visible and I can "buy" anything in "prime/holiday" season if I have the purchasing power for it.

With II, I cannot get the preferred quailty resorts until I own within the sub system and even then, the pure prime/holiday season are almost inaccessible.

NPKW

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To: Moornc, It could be that Wyndham canceled your RCI points. I know they are both owned by the same company but my home resort canceled some points (not a Wyndham) and I questioned it. If there is no reason for them to have canceled and they will not restore them, you may simply ask an attorney to write a letter for you so that it gets their attention. I have been a member of both RCI and II for many years trading yearly. I am very happy with both, although trading was easier in the past.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having traded in both systems for over a decade, I prefer RCI over II by a long margin. Many reasons but the ultimate one is..

With RCI, the TPU "cost" is visible and I can "buy" anything in "prime/holiday" season if I have the purchasing power for it.

With II, I cannot get the preferred quailty resorts until I own within the sub system and even then, the pure prime/holiday season are almost inaccessible.

I might concede one of your points, at least for the primest of prime times as it pertains to instant exchanges with II. And I don’t have enough experience with ongoing requests to comment on that aspect.

However, with respect to not getting preferred quality resorts—at least in offseason—that has not been my experience. Back in February I purchased two II Premier rated, but very inexpensive, non-branded traders at the same "overbuilt" resort that has thus far given me great trades. So far, three 1BRs exchanged for three 2BRs in 4-star + resorts: Marriott Desert Springs Villas II this past July, Four Seasons Aviara this upcoming December, and Welk Resort Villas next April. None of them during their respective peak seasons, but all of which I have been absolutely ecstatic about, given my infinitesimal cash outlay to acquire and maintain them.

Because RCI has a much more transaparent system, it may feel more equitable. Ultimately though, if you have a great unit that trades well with a given exchange company's system, you'll probably like it. I absolutely love II. In fact, I never knew love like this before.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I love II, Starwood and Marriott!!!!

I tried RCI briefly and I can't honestly say I made any trades, but I did get to see that there seems to be a lot more choice, but in terms of quality, fees and the great trades, II is the best decision I ever made.

I love II, Starwood and Marriott! Oh wait, I will learn to love Four Seasons in January! You can't beat the quality of the resorts available on II. Go big or go home!

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, how could I forget my other 1BR for 2BR exchange in January to Marriott Newport Coast? II has been great.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, how could I forget my other 1BR for 2BR exchange in January to Marriott Newport Coast? II has been great.

What is your secret for getting 1BR to 2BR exchanges?

BTW, I love II also and all my extra vacations. I get wonderful exchanges all the time. You just have to make your requests and be patient and travel non-peak, which I prefer anyway. Plus flexchange and bonus weeks are awesome!
Flexchange is 59 days in II. RCI may be more equitable but I love how I can learn how to get great exchanges and make 1 two bedroom week into multiple weeks at prime resorts.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

BTW, I love II also and all my extra vacations. I get wonderful exchanges all the time. You just have to make your requests and be patient and travel non-peak, which I prefer anyway. Plus flexchange and bonus weeks are awesome!
Flexchange is 59 days in II. RCI may be more equitable but I love how I can learn how to get great exchanges and make 1 two bedroom week into multiple weeks at prime resorts.

The only trade I have done within flexchange is the Four Seasons trade, although my unit "saw" the 2 BR Jan and Feb units as well.

I cannot say with certainty why I have been so fortunate in my first year of ownership. There are a couple ideas I have that I am not yet willing to discuss publicly, but I will say that a willingness to challenge conventional wisdom (like don't buy in "overbuilt" areas), searching frequently, owning premier rated resorts (that also have high II member ratings, not the fraud premier resorts like Daytona Grand Seas), and luck (I had no idea that my traders would perform this well for me so far), all contribute to maximizing exchanges.

larfraz

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A number of years ago I asked about a trade to Las Vegas and RCI seemed to not have one and a friend told me to check Platinum Interchange. They quickly provided the week I needed and I have traded with them many times for many years.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
A number of years ago I asked about a trade to Las Vegas and RCI seemed to not have one and a friend told me to check Platinum Interchange. They quickly provided the week I needed and I have traded with them many times for many years.

I have not traded with PI, but my father has, and I used one of his exchange credits last year to Snow Lake Lodge. I like them, usually not the cream of the crop resorts, but they have excellent service, decent coverage, and they publish their available inventory.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

The only trade I have done within flexchange is the Four Seasons trade, although my unit "saw" the 2 BR Jan and Feb units as well.

I cannot say with certainty why I have been so fortunate in my first year of ownership. There are a couple ideas I have that I am not yet willing to discuss publicly, but I will say that a willingness to challenge conventional wisdom (like don't buy in "overbuilt" areas), searching frequently, owning premier rated resorts (that also have high II member ratings, not the fraud premier resorts like Daytona Grand Seas), and luck (I had no idea that my traders would perform this well for me so far), all contribute to maximizing exchanges.
Another factor that may account for your success is your willingness to travel off season (which we prefer as we don't enjoy crowds). I see a lot of inventory with my supposedly mid tier traders and nearly always have an upgrade opportunity if we're flexible on the date. We're empty nesters though, so we're not tied to the school schedule any more :cheer: I can take whatever good trade comes up while I am searching. I also think the preference period for Marriott/Starwood is a very valuable II benefit, as are the reduced exchange fees - $124 for Marriott trades and $119 for Starwood exchanges. (Those may be off by $5 - not quite sure).

I haven't joined RCI because the exchange fees seem kind of steep. Of my three units that trade exclusively in RCI, we use two of them and we may rent the third one instead of trading it so it doesn't make sense to join a second exchange company.