• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC considerations for Europe

Ctlsleh

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im considering buying 2 BR, 2 weeks PLAT = 14000 points in Vilamoura, Portugal as live in Irelan and have been there for last 2 years on vacation. As this resort is relatively new, there is no resale market yet, so im looking for opinions based on the vast knowledge here in the forum and any guidance you can offer on the following

If i buy 14000 pts in one go, can i sell part of them later as a resale? or do i need to buy them as 2 seperate 7000 pt contracts? (as the family gets older i will not need a 2BR appt)
IN Portugal, there is a timelimit of 27 years for the TS and a cost of approx €13000 ~$17000 per 7000 pts with MF of €600 per 7000 pts also - would it make more sense to buy 7000 in Vilamoura and 7000 in Orlando/Vegas on resale market?
i would probably want to go to Orlando in the coming years anyway.

How easy is it to switch between home resorts and other resorts? eg Orlando/Vegas etc

How easy is it to use the RCI system and how good are their resorts by comparison

One of my main concerns is the lack of other resorts in Europe or Asia - Are there plans to extend the resorts?

Thanks for all the advice.......
J

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I have had no major problems exchanging to other HGVC resorts, cruising, or with RCI exchanges. However, if you are not sure what you want to do, join HHonors first and use a HHonors AmEx or HHonors Visa. Points accumulate rapidly and you can stay at the Portugal Villamora Hilton using an HHonors redemption. I personally think you would be better off buying resale in Orlando or Las Vegas and trading into Portugal. However, I have never tried to exchange into Villamora.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You should be able to buy two weeks on the same contract... HGVC consolidates your points anyway... and later sell one of them. Its just like how, if you buy two lots of land, they can be listed in the same deed, and then you can deed one of the lots to someone else later. But you know, don't you, that for each unit-week you buy, you get to pay a set of MF's.

smokyhill

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally think you would be better off buying resale in Orlando or Las Vegas and trading into Portugal. However, I have never tried to exchange into Villamora.

I agree you would probably be better off buying resale in Florida or Las Vegas. Points are points and you'll definately save a bundle buying resale.
Good luck!

Elster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC:
Vilamoura, Coylumbridge
If you want to go to Vilamoura in peak time and have limited flex on the weeks you can go - then you WILL benefit from the 12 month window. Buying a 2 bed platinum will mean you have access to platinum weeks 12 months out and you should be good. I'd personally buy one week in Vilamoura for the access and one elsewhere as cheaply as possible for the points - on the assumption you need the peak weeks.
This is what I did and it works for me :)

Ctlsleh

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice, Im thinking that i will purchase 1 week in Portugal and one week elsewhere, i assume orlando is probably a good choice in that regard and from what i hear on the Forum Parc Soleil is a good option as is Intl Drive.

Regarding Hiltons future plans, does anyone have any view on how they will continue to invest and if it will only be in USA?

I do notice for example that Marriott have ~4 resorts in Europe and also some in Asia (Thailand), anybody got any insight into the relative cost/standard/value for money etc on Marriott vs Hilton?

By the way and to answer the question earlier from Pianodinosaur, i am a HHonors member already (Diamond) but find that there isnt particularly good value in this system, works out at about 40-50K points per night for a room, which is nothing special and wouldnt warrant trading HGVC points for HHonors points

Thanks Again,
J

Last edited: