• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marco Island Marriot

elleny76

Reaction score
Is this resort part of the Marriot timeshare? Can anyone post a link for a Marriot website where I can see all the resorts available in the Marriot timeshare system? is it by point or weeks? thanks:)

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Is this resort part of the Marriot timeshare? Can anyone post a link for a Marriot website where I can see all the resorts available in the Marriot timeshare system? is it by point or weeks? thanks:)

There are two Marriott properties along that stretch of beach, Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort, Golf Club & Spa which is a hotel and Crystal Shores which is a timeshare.

The timeshare was originally sold as Weeks (which every existing Marriott timeshare has been) but currently, Marriott Vacations Worldwide is selling its Points product at all US sales centers. Weeks are available on the resale market, externally through any of the established methods and internally from Marriott Resales Operations. Weeks purchased currently on the external market are not eligible for enrollment in the Destination Club Points System; Weeks purchased on the internal market may be eligible if a DC Points purchase is made concurrently with the Weeks purchase.

elleny76

Reaction score
Thanks so much...!:) I have a question...if I buy 3,500 points on resale can I use it to book marco island?

There are two Marriott properties along that stretch of beach, Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort, Golf Club & Spa which is a hotel and Crystal Shores which is a timeshare.

The timeshare was originally sold as Weeks (which every existing Marriott timeshare has been) but currently, Marriott Vacations Worldwide is selling its Points product at all US sales centers. Weeks are available on the resale market, externally through any of the established methods and internally from Marriott Resales Operations. Weeks purchased currently on the external market are not eligible for enrollment in the Destination Club Points System; Weeks purchased on the internal market may be eligible if a DC Points purchase is made concurrently with the Weeks purchase.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks so much...!:) I have a question...if I buy 3,500 points on resale can I use it to book marco island?

You can use resale Points to book any intervals that are available at the time of booking. There aren't any Marriott timeshares that can't be booked with DC Points, regardless of whether the Points are purchased direct or resale, but availability is never guaranteed because there aren't any fixed Points intervals.

UK Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Crystal Shores is a great property. There is a Hilton between what is now a JW property and Crystal Shores. You may want to look at the points chart in the FAQ-MVC Destination Points Program sticky above to see if 3,500 points fits your needs.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Hello,

I did a quick calculation on the Marriott Site and a 1 week stay in September for example will cost 2000 for a 2BR Gulf View. Here is the 2017 point charts. http://vacationpointexchange.com/pointschart/points_charts_2017.pdf

What I did want to say is that you can "Try before you buy" by renting someone else's points that they cannot use. Rental of points usually costs between $0.45 and $0.55 per point so the above example can be rented for about $1000 for the week.

A website started by tuggers is here: http://vacationpointexchange.com/

John

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

A week in a 2BR unit at Marco Island Marriott Crystal Shores can be as little as 2,000 points (late Aug/Sept/early-mid Oct/early Dec) or as many as 9,450 points (President's Day week).

3,500 points will get you Gulf Front view only in the fall period noted above;

3,500 points will get you Gulf Side view or Gulf View from roughly the first of May through mid-Dec;

3,500 will not be enough to book any week from mid-December through roughly the end of April.

elleny76

Reaction score
Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort, Golf Club & Spa which is a hotel...its not accessible by points or week since its a Hotel?

If I stay in the timeshare_crystal shores can I use the "HOTEL" pools?

2.) I just sow the links for the MVC...The Europe _spain resorts are amazing..can we access them by depositing marriot weeks in II?
( the points are very expensive to buy even in resale)

Thanks

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort, Golf Club & Spa which is a hotel...its not accessible by points or week since its a Hotel?

Thanks

I doubt it but I don't think you would want to anyway. The two properties are not next to each other. There are eight properties between those two.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

2.) I just sow the links for the MVC...The Europe _spain resorts are amazing..can we access them by depositing marriot weeks in II?

Thanks

October-early March Spain weeks are regularly deposited. You would need an ongoing search and some luck for warmer weather shoulder season. There are almost no II deposits for summer weeks.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort, Golf Club & Spa which is a hotel...its not accessible by points or week since its a Hotel? ...

Various Marriott hotels are available at different times using DC Points through the DC Explorer Club, but there's no guarantee that any will be on the list during any certain year and all offers are subject to availability. Right now the Marco Island hotel/resort is on the list for 2016 with costs ranging between 500 and 1150 DC Points per night. As a general rule most would say that buying DC Points to concentrate their usage on the Explorer Club isn't cost-effective.

If I stay in the timeshare_crystal shores can I use the "HOTEL" pools? ...

No, there's no reciprocity or amenity-sharing between the hotel and the timeshare. But the restaurants and spa at the hotel are open to the public, and the concierge at the timeshare is able to make reservations/schedule appointments for the timeshare guests.

Thanks

Yes, any MVW resorts can be accessed through II, based on availability of course, whether you're a Weeks Owner depositing Weeks or a DC Points Trust Member depositing purchased DC Points. (Note DC Points from Enrolled Weeks can be used in II's point system only for non-Marriott properties.) [eta - DOH! Read the smart people below for the correction.]

Last edited:

elleny76

Reaction score
Thanks SueDonJ!

Thinking in getting 1 week 2bed L/O annual or EOY (if lucky) I will be using II since buying points is out of my reach and the MF are high. :ponder:

Various Marriott hotels are available at different times using DC Points through the DC Explorer Club, but there's no guarantee that any will be on the list during any certain year and all offers are subject to availability. Right now the Marco Island hotel/resort is on the list for 2016 with costs ranging between 500 and 1150 DC Points per night. As a general rule most would say that buying DC Points to concentrate their usage on the Explorer Club isn't cost-effective.

No, there's no reciprocity or amenity-sharing between the hotel and the timeshare. But the restaurants and spa at the hotel are open to the public, and the concierge at the timeshare is able to make reservations/schedule appointments for the timeshare guests.

Yes, any MVW resorts can be accessed through II, based on availability of course, whether you're a Weeks Owner depositing Weeks or a DC Points Trust Member depositing purchased DC Points. (Note DC Points from Enrolled Weeks can be used in II's point system only for non-Marriott properties.)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks SueDonJ!

Thinking in getting 1 week 2bed L/O annual or EOY (if lucky) I will be using II since buying points is out of my reach and the MF are high. :ponder:

Forgot to say - Weeks can't be used as an exchange for the hotel properties.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something here?
I am just trying to get my mind around when there might be any benefit in using DC points to access MVW resorts through II?
I would have thought
as a Trust member, you would just access them directly through MVW
as an Enrolled member, you would either elect points usage and access them directly through MVW or exchange your week(s) and access them through II.

Yes, any MVW resorts can be accessed through II, based on availability of course, whether you're a Weeks Owner depositing Weeks or a DC Points Trust Member depositing purchased DC Points. (Note DC Points from Enrolled Weeks can be used in II's point system only for non-Marriott properties.)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You can not use DC points to book a Marriott through II. I am pretty sure this restriction is for both enrolled points and direct trust points. Other systems allow this (Wyndham, Hilton, Bluegreen, DRI). Hyatt does not and I believe Marriott does not.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Am I missing something here?
I am just trying to get my mind around when there might be any benefit in using DC points to access MVW resorts through II?
I would have thought
as a Trust member, you would just access them directly through MVW
as an Enrolled member, you would either elect points usage and access them directly through MVW or exchange your week(s) and access them through II.

DOH! Now I've confused me and everyone else! :eek:

DC Trust Points can be used for non-Marriott resorts in II's points system (it's the only way Trust Members can access non-Marriott II inventory.) But you're right, neither DC Trust Points nor Exchange Points (from enrolled Weeks) can be used in II for Marriott resorts.

Listen to bazzap and tschwa1, elleny76. :eek:

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Thanks

October-early March Spain weeks are regularly deposited. You would need an ongoing search and some luck for warmer weather shoulder season. There are almost no II deposits for summer weeks.

I matched numerous Marriotts in Spain with my 2br MGV. I rejected September 2br after 1 week and chose October (first week) instead (personal schedule). It matched in less than 30 days. October is shoulder season, but September is not. Right now I can see April (flex) and May (flex).

Probably 100 units available for Oct-March reservations--all sizes and resorts.

Very hard to get without Marriot preference.... (during summer)
IMHO

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anyone on TUG ever exchanged for a July or early August week in Spain even with Marriott preference? I imagine it happens but I don't remember reading about it.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
There are several sightings (2015) for June/July in the forum.
That matches my search experience as well.

Didn't say it was easy.
Probably impossible without preference or flex.

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
You can not use DC points to book a Marriott through II. I am pretty sure this restriction is for both enrolled points and direct trust points. Other systems allow this (Wyndham, Hilton, Bluegreen, DRI). Hyatt does not and I believe Marriott does not.

So does this mean that any Marriott unit in II is inaccessible to any trust points? Or do the same units show up but require booking via points instead of exchange?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So does this mean that any Marriott unit in II is inaccessible to any trust points? Or do the same units show up but require booking via points instead of exchange?

Marriott weeks in II are inaccessible to DC points of any kind. I have read that you can deposit points in the form of a week based deposit. I am not sure if that deposit can access Marriott weeks. Getting that type of deposit ussualy requires having points that are about to expire where you had an OGS with those points, but there may be other ways to get them.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

If someone is using either DC Trust or Exchange Points for Marriott properties they go through Marriott, not II, but Marriott has access to II to fulfill Points requests with II inventory. So no, Marriott units in II aren't inaccessible to Trust Points users, and yes, the same units that are accessible to Weeks users in II can be made accessible to Trust Points users via Marriott.

Members using Trust Points to access non-Marriott properties go through II; there's a chart showing the Points requirements in the II section of the DC Points FAQ on this forum.

Weeks Owners, regardless if the Weeks are DC-enrolled or not, use II in the traditional manner to exchange to Marriott and non-Marriott inventory.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott weeks in II are inaccessible to DC points of any kind. I have read that you can deposit points in the form of a week based deposit. I am not sure if that deposit can access Marriott weeks. Getting that type of deposit ussualy requires having points that are about to expire where you had an OGS with those points, but there may be other ways to get them.

I didn't think it was possible to deposit a Points-based reservation into II. Is this maybe something that's made available in desperate situations by special request, something like replacement Weeks being made available for deposit by resale purchasers during the first/ongoing year of their purchase?