• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2014] OceanWatch 5/10 yr renovation pics

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
We are here staying at OceanWatch this week. This has been our go to vacation every year. With three teenage boys, Myrtle Beach is a great location.

We were originally placed in the Conch building; usually the one I love to stay in as it is very close to the beach. However, the new renovations were such a turnoff, we actually requested to be to the Starfish building further back that still has the original decor. The wall colors in the updated units are great, but the rest of the unit screamed tacky to us. Actually tacky is an understatement, it was disturbing. I only wish that I had taken lots of photos before we switched units as the official ones are far to complimentary. We were told that the theme of the renovation is "My First Beach House". Frankly, if I wanted it to look like a shabby first beach house, I would sell my Marriott properties and buy one. I bought Marriott because of its quality. I have been a fan of Marriott since 1992, but continue to see a deterioration of quality and value for owners.

So, what are the reactions of other OceanWatch owners to the update? I havbeen a fan of Marriott since 1993, but continue to see a deterioration of quality and value for owners.

We just checked in and absolutely love the new renovations. We are in the Scallop bldg on the 7th floor. The decor actually suits what the resort is now, an oceanfront resort! They even redid the balcony with new, smaller tables and canvas/metal chairs. Much better than the old metal table and chairs IMO. Kitchen cabinets are new with a white shaker appearance. Going to try and post a couple of pics for you if I can get this thing to work for me.

Last edited:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
For the technology buffs, every lamp in the villa, six total, has a built in 3 prong plug receptacle in the base of it to plug things into! No more having to search for available receptacles! Each lamp also has a USB receptacle in the base. Also, the Woodsy pool now has good wifi access. I'm getting great reception. Doing a speed test it seems that it is 5 mbps up and 5 down in both the villa and the pool area. Not the greatest but much better than previous years and definitely enough to stream with.

Chemee

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just checked in and absolutely love the new renovations. We are in the Scallop bldg on the 7th floor. The decor actually suits what the resort is now, an oceanfront resort! They even redid the balcony with new, smaller tables and canvas/metal chairs. Much better than the old metal table and chairs IMO. Kitchen cabinets are new with a white shaker appearance. Going to try and post a couple of pics for you if I can get this thing to work for me.

Like most of the changes, especially the beige color palette. Think the white kitchen cabinets & white furniture are going to increase maintenance expenses. The kitchen cabinets are cheap & the ones in our villa were already marked up. Plus, ensuring they are clean. Ours were dirty from food stains & fingerprints. Not happy about it. Cleaned them myself, but next time I'll be calling housekeeping. Management needs to know extra cleaning time needs to occur. Also, same for the stainless steel appliances. Our refrigerator had a run down the front & the area around the stove knobs & knobs themselves had food build-up.

Also, did't like that the curtains are now underneath the sheers. Don't understand this. Some kid had used the sheer in the master bedroom as a tissue! It was disgusting!

We had a funky LED light fixture over the dining room table & didn't care for it. Funny thing, The villas across the way in Conch we saw at night all still had incandescent fixtures. Go figure.

I also recall being told they were going to fix the dining bench height issue during the reno, but they did not. Not a fan of the 3 cushions on the dining bench either.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
"I also recall being told they were going to fix the dining bench height issue during the reno, but they did not. Not a fan of the 3 cushions on the dining bench either."

Funny how people perceive things differently! First thing I said when I sat down on it was that they had fixed the height problems of before!

I am much more concerned with the functionality of the villa than the minor things. Although the chairs on the deck are beige, they dry out quickly during the huge rains we have gotten recently. Now I don't have to get up in the morning and use one of my clean towels to go out and wipe them off before sitting on one! Since I don't know how much they cost it's hard to do a cost analyst against the old metal ones that I'm sure had some paint chips on them but, I would imagine they are less expensive and thus can be replaced more often and still reduce overall costs.

tmoscola

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are driving home now from our week there and LOVE the new look!! Each year this place gets better and better. Shopping for a second week!

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to Marriott Ocean Watch in few weeks. Got the vacation preference email yesterday. I have never been there before so I am not familiar with the resort. Are all the units refurbished now? My week is a purchased getaway week from II. The confirmation says ocean front when I checked on marriott website. Would they really honor that?? If not any building recommedations? High floor?

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean watch is a great resort. All the units have been refurbished. I can't answer any questions about Interval but we have stayed in the Maple building 8 floor which was an amazing view and last year the conch building on the 4 floor which was also excellent. This resort has a spectacular beach, pools are warm with many choices. Love this resort. Have been here 3 times. Going to Hilton head Surf watch this yr.