• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owners update meeting

jjpdjr

Reaction score
So had my owners update meeting yesterday at bonnet creek. Sales rep gave me what I think at leat is a ridiculous answer to resale question.

He told me resale reservations are basically worthless. He said resale reservations could be cancelled at anytime, without notice. So basically you could fly your family across country for $2000, and when you show up at the resort be turned away because a regular owner needed a room, and stole your reservation.
He said he saw at least 5 families turned away on Easter Sunday.

I tried to explain to him the absurdity of this statement. Lawsuits, etc. but he wouldn't back down from this statement.

So since I am still basically naive about a lot of this stuff, I figured I'd turn to tug for the real scoop. As I get almost all of my reliable info from here. The rep is calling me back tomorrow.

I also got the bait and switch technique, where I got the nice, low key guy first. And then he had to call the snake oil salesman for backup.

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
jjpdjr,

Your instincts are right on!

Wyndham reservations could care less where you purchased your points.

Once you are an owner of Wyndham Points and pay your maintenance fees as agreed, Wyndham Reservations will help you make a reservation, send you confirmation and treat you the same as any other Wyndham owner who owns the same amount of points (purchased from the developer) and who makes an identical reservation.

Upon arrival at the Wyndham Resort where you have the reservation the reservation will be honored when you present yourself at check-in with proper identification.

Having said that, Wyndham Sales people have a vested interest in providing you with misinformation.

The salesperson you met with is either brand new and being fed incorrect and misleading information to encourage you to buy retail or the salesperson is seasoned and very well aware that you cannot disprove his statement.

I and many others here at TUG are actual owners of points that we purchased re-sale. Personally, I have never had any problem getting the reservations that I desire and I have NEVER had anyone at the Guest Reservation desks treat me any differently from other Guests who may or may not own Wyndham Points that they purchased from the Developer.

Once your points are properly deeded, recorded and recognized by Wyndham as your points you are good to go as far as Wyndham is concerned.

I can assure you that if I had a reservation in hand and showed up at the proper time to exercise my right to occupancy that right would be granted ALWAYS or their would be all kinds of H_ _ _ to pay. Wyndham is very good about making sure that those who have a reservation are accomodated.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank him for warning you not to buy something at full price that he has proved to you will be worthless as soon as you walk out of the room.

Not that anything he has said is true. just how stupid his sales argument is

rrlongwell

Reaction score
So had my owners update meeting yesterday at bonnet creek. Sales rep gave me what I think at leat is a ridiculous answer to resale question.

He told me resale reservations are basically worthless. He said resale reservations could be cancelled at anytime, without notice. So basically you could fly your family across country for $2000, and when you show up at the resort be turned away because a regular owner needed a room, and stole your reservation.

I tried to explain to him the absurdity of this statement. Lawsuits, etc. but he wouldn't back down from this statement.

So since I am still basically naive about a lot of this stuff, I figured I'd turn to tug for the real scoop. As I get almost all of my reliable info from here. The rep is calling me back tomorrow.

I also got the bait and switch technique, where I got the nice, low key guy first. And then he had to call the snake oil salesman for backup.

Could be. There have been a couple of reports on people being denied the accommadation they wanted. And in a couple cases since I did not buy a timeshare, I was told to get off premises.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could be. There have been a couple of reports on people being denied the accommadation they wanted. And in a couple cases since I did not buy a timeshare, I was told to get off premises.

Hmmm.

Did the people denied accommodations have a reservation or they were trying to make one?

Must be more to the story of being told to get off the premise, were you a guest staying at the time?

Reaction score
On the other hand, what he said is correct... it is worthless, talking actual value. Personally, I would rather pay $100 for points, and lose maybe 10% if I decide to resell (not including transfer/closing fees and Maintenance Fees), versus paying $20000 and losing $19900 in value after the Rescind Period.

TS

antjmar

Reaction score
And in a couple cases since I did not buy a timeshare, I was told to get off premises.
Since you are plat. VIP (non resale) I think your experience has nothing to do with what the OP is concerned about.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Even calling these high pressure sales pitches "owner updates" is playing into their hands. Ot is a sales presentation/misinformation exercise meant to take your money and nothing more. Don't encourage the deception by calling it something its clearly not.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
"He told me resale reservations are basically worthless. He said resale reservations could be cancelled at anytime, without notice. So basically you could fly your family across country for $2000, and when you show up at the resort be turned away because a regular owner needed a room, and stole your reservation.
He said he SAW(emphasis added) at least 5 families turned away on Easter Sunday."

JJ:

To deal with salespeople you have to be armed and apply common sense.

My first question to salesman would be what were you doing hanging at the check in desk Easter watching people check in? Why weren't you scamming the warm bodies the parking pass scammers sent you?

This lie/scam has been around since the day of the great flood.
Resale points can only be used at home resort
Resale points cannot be used at new resorts
Resale points can only be booked 60 days out
Person with Developer points can bump/trump resale purchaser reservation every time
Resale points don't get any benefits and worst rooms

Of the hundreds of posts I have read here and on Wyndham Form have never heard of the above being true.

RRs post here does not make sense as he is Platinum VIP and which would denote he is using Developer type points. Fixed weeks are a different ball game.

My personal experience was in Vegas where salesperson said no way can you get into GD using resale points. I pointed out I was staying there, he turned purple and said there was a computer error.

The other was at AVP a couple years ago when I got e-mail from owner relations saying there was a problem at the resort. I called and they said there was a pipe break and since Mardi Gras resort was booked full. They would like to move me to LBM in a much nicer room. I declined for personal reasons and when at AVP did indeed verify several units were blocked off!

One possible explanation for denying a room is person checking in was scammed by a renter who did not get a guest certificate for reservation.

Or, savvy scammer created a phony reservation.(Happens regularily with Bronco's football tickets sold on e-bay))

Or, was a very obnoxious brash person who yells and screams and trys to terrify clerk into finding a room.

Who knows?

My last experice at BC was gal who claimed she was an annointed By Mecca(HQ)personal rep of which there was only one allowed at each sales location. My wish was her command. I asked where her Diploma was like DOC and Lawyers hang on the wall. Didn't have. How about letter from Main Man congratulaing her. Did not have. Why does the Fairfield 30 Rules of conduct say this is illegal and to report to VP Owner Relations? She disappeared and I was off to gifting.

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Since you are plat. VIP (non resale) I think your experience has nothing to do with what the OP is concerned about.

Sorry, I thought the issue had to with sales tactics and the use of threats to deny rights and or attempt to deny use order to get new sales. Given what is reported to be Wyndham emphisis on new sales to existing customers, I apparently mistakenly thought it would be of interest to more than the re-sale or bust advocates. I keep forgetting that the TUG click thinks it is a re-sale only club that likes to rent or sell to folks. I guess it makes no differnce that my direct purchases from Wyndham included fixed week, UDI contracts, Wyndham Re-Sale contracts, etc.

P.S. for the pro-resale business advocates, you are alway free to free to turn my posts in as inappropriate. I now they may interfere with the re-sale/rental business goals of the click.

Last edited:

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.

i feel sorry for that sales guy.. they has been telling lies for so long the truth is a lie to them.. My guess is the 5 families he said got turned away were actually leaving after spending a week at his resort on a resale points.

as for the resales being worthless he is correct about that.. they are worthless till you book your vacations, then they are priceless.. enjoy...

poor sap.. dont worry about what a timeshare sale persons tells you.. most of the time it not true or a version of the truth to make resales sound BAD..