• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can I buy a timeshare [resale] and still have the benefits

Bkachinsky

Reaction score
Hi, I'm an EOY owner at Marriott Waiohai resort, I have been looking to buy another EOY but I talked with Marriott and they said if I buy outside of Marriott I will lose some benefits such as banking points etc. can someone shed some light on this for me? Is this true or is it a ploy by them to get me to over pay for a unit. I bought my original through them. I don't know all the lingo, so timeshare for dummies version would be appreciated. Thanks.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an EOY owner at Marriott Waiohai resort, I have been looking to buy another EOY but I talked with Marriott and they said if I buy outside of Marriott I will lose some benefits such as banking points etc. can someone shed some light on this for me? Is this true or is it a ploy by them to get me to over pay for a unit. I bought my original through them. I don't know all the lingo, so timeshare for dummies version would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is your week enrolled and do you use the points system? They told you a half truth, if that. Even if you buy another EOY through Marriott, you still cannot use it to bank points. You would have to buy a chunk of very expensive points along with the EOY. Just buy the EOY resale and don't worry about banking points.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you buy through Marriott resale dept, you will automatically be eligible to convert it to Marriott Reward points. This would be a very bad use of a timeshare purchase. You would only be eligible to enroll it in the Destination Club if you bought the same number of points directly through them. I think you would be looking at a $50,000+ purchase. If you want more Destination club points, just rent them from other owners. If you want another EOY Hawaii unit to use buy resale.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sitting watching the ocean right this minute in my newly purchased resale week. Since it was purchased after 2010 I can not enroll it the Destinations Club to trade a week for vacation club points and I cannot trade for Marriott Reward points. Otherwise it is just the same. It showed up in my same vacation club account, I book the same way. I can use my week or I can deposit with II (a membership at my own expense).

I got a beautiful room; I'm not a second class citizen at all as far as the resort knows.