• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tacky, really tacky.

Years ago DD was - legitimately - using a wheelchair, and they would allow her and 1-2 companions to go to the front. We did spot a few people who appeared to abuse the wheelchair policy, using it like a cart to lug their stuff, and/or with different people hopping on and off the wheelchair. Most, like DD at the time, did need it. We didn't see any snooty types who appeared to use it to circumvent the lines. Perhaps the abuse in the article could be curtailed if they allowed only 1-2 companions with the disabled person.

Reaction score
The site says:

Due to inaccurate press and slander, Dream Tours is not offering VIP tours at this time. Our focus has primarily always been providing magical vacations for adults with special needs and helping their dreams to come true.

TS

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, its not just for wheelchairs. It's a disability access pass and varies based on what the disability is. For my son, it has to do with crowds, noise, waiting, heat, sun, standing, distractions and a bunch more things that make him "unique". If it weren't for the disability access pass, we would never have gone to Orlando and Disney specifically. We have gone the last three years and we enjoy our time at the parks, although it is still stressful and our days only last about 5 hours.

With the disability access pass, we can accomplish in about 5 hours what a regular family can in a full day. We would never be able to visit the parks without the pass since 5 hours would not be long enough to spend at the park to get your moneys worth and we can't stay longer than that due to Logan's Autism. It would be too difficult on him, and us as an entire family.

I am sure there are people who abuse the system, but from what I have seen, it has been handled by Disney with both class and efficiency.:clap:

There will always be the 1% who make up their own rules. Very sad indeed.

Last edited:

jc92869

TUG Member
Reaction score
i'm biased

I'm a bit biased on this topic. My opinion may not be popular, but I assure that I am not trying to offend.

I personally don't agree that there should be a handicapped line at all. Why do handicapped people get to cut to the front? does being handicapped prevent them from waiting? specially if they are on a wheel chair, aren't they even more comfortable waiting in line than someone who has to stand and wait in line?

I understand that if it is physically impossible to move through the line (such as stairs, or steep ramps) it may be warranted to have them move to the front of the line, but why not mark their place in line and have them wait their turn.

I see this at different places. My bank and grocery store have a handicapped line and people simply go to this line and circumvent the waiting. WHY?

As i mentioned I am not trying to insult people, but i would love to hear from someone who is handicapped or knows someone who is as to why handicapped people can't wait like the rest of us.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am underwhelmed by your sensitivity.

"Handicapped" doesn't just mean "in a wheel chair." The post before yours explains it well.

Life is harder for handicapped people - providing accommodations doesn't make their lives easier, but it might make that day easier.

A word to the wise - when the hole gets deep - quit digging.

Last edited:

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
I'm a bit biased on this topic. My opinion may not be popular, but I assure that I am not trying to offend.

I personally don't agree that there should be a handicapped line at all. Why do handicapped people get to cut to the front? does being handicapped prevent them from waiting? specially if they are on a wheel chair, aren't they even more comfortable waiting in line than someone who has to stand and wait in line?

I understand that if it is physically impossible to move through the line (such as stairs, or steep ramps) it may be warranted to have them move to the front of the line, but why not mark their place in line and have them wait their turn.

I see this at different places. My bank and grocery store have a handicapped line and people simply go to this line and circumvent the waiting. WHY?

As i mentioned I am not trying to insult people, but i would love to hear from someone who is handicapped or knows someone who is as to why handicapped people can't wait like the rest of us.

Wow, that's all I can say.:annoyed:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm surprised that you didn't comment that people who are handicapped get the best parking spots as well...:eek:

BTW, some rides do not have a handicapped entrance because people in wheelchairs can't ride them. Having an alternate entrance at the rides that do allow wheelchairs is the least that Disney could do.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have mobility issues and so I use the supposed "perks" associated with my disability.

I am not offended by your question at all.

Sometimes, I too even wonder why a person is using the handicap parking, when they are easily and quickly able to hop out of the car and run into the store without a walker (which I use) or a scooter/wheelchair. But then I also know that not all disabilities are visible to the casual observer.

Having said that though, I'd much rather be able to walk or stand without pain 24/7. So, I'd be glad to trade my my spot at the front of the line for your spot in line, if you'd like to take over the almost constant pain and discomfort I experience on a daily basis. Will this work for you? :) ;)

Reaction score

While I may not share all of your rationale, I do share your sentiment. I have two sets of two words…

“Handicapped Parking” and “On disability”

One of the big scandals in my state of Pennsylvania is the issuance of the so-called “handicapped placards” which entitle people to use handicapped parking spaces. Suffice it to say that most of the people seen using these state issued passes, tend to be not yet eligible for senior discounts or AARP membership, and all too able to walk freely without any sign of difficulty. There is also a high correlation of the placard issuance to use of food stamps and public assistance. The current national (and rational) dialog is about the abuse of the welfare system at large for gambling, strip clubs, liquor, and cigarettes. Enough said.

The other national scandal is the abuse of disability payments to those who are able-bodied and capable of working. Anyone who does not live under a rock has heard the countless stories of the bloated social security disability roles, as well as the countless “workers comp” abuses.

My next-door neighbor, who is now in his sixties, was in a mining accident more than 30 years ago. He has been confined to a wheelchair ever since. For these past 30 years he has ALWAYS worked full time. Despite being laid-off, he went to school for new career training, and has driven as much as 50 miles one way to the office – and back home again, for years as just another working person. Despite undergoing open heart surgery recently, he CONTINUES his daily regimen, and hopes to retire in the next few years. He has complained about not being able to find parking in the handicapped areas. He cannot understand why so many people claim they are unable to work.

I share his sentiments as well. As is always the case with the best of intentions, we have tried as a society to be mindful of those with extra challenges, and instead we have created an underclass of opportunistic people set on taking advantage, and looking for the easy way out. I’m sure some of these folks gaming the Disney lines have come-up through those ranks.... while many of those who do face some extra challenges may just want to be left alone.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
While I may not share all of your rationale, I do share your sentiment. I have two sets of two words…

I would add another set of words...

"Self inflicted (gross) obesity".

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, its not just for wheelchairs. It's a disability access pass and varies based on what the disability is. For my son, it has to do with crowds, noise, waiting, heat, sun, standing, distractions and a bunch more things that make him "unique". If it weren't for the disability access pass, we would never have gone to Orlando and Disney specifically. We have gone the last three years and we enjoy our time at the parks, although it is still stressful and our days only last about 5 hours.

With the disability access pass, we can accomplish in about 5 hours what a regular family can in a full day. We would never be able to visit the parks without the pass since 5 hours would not be long enough to spend at the park to get your moneys worth and we can't stay longer than that due to Logan's Autism. It would be too difficult on him, and us as an entire family.

I am sure there are people who abuse the system, but from what I have seen, it has been handled by Disney with both class and efficiency.:clap:

There will always be the 1% who make up their own rules. Very sad indeed.

Well said! In your situation, I applaud Disney for the accomodation. Life is tough enough and people are way too quick to judge when they don't see an extreme physical disability. Disabilities can be physical and/or cognitive, and they can vary in many unique ways. Disney does an outstanding job trying to accomodate based on individual needs. One size does not fit all.

I find the situation in this article outrageous because it flaunts the rules and exploits accommodations made for disabled individuals and their families. The fact that the laws protect disabled individuals from having to show papers and 'prove disabilities' is a great thing, especially when the disabilities are not readily apparent. Disney cannot look at a doctors note or ask how the rest of the party 'knows' the disabled person. I am angry at those who lie and cheat because it casts ignorant suspicion upon those who honestly need accommodation and harms the ability of Disney to continue to meet these needs. Autism is a great example. Because of the accommodation, I imagine your family can last the 5 hours and the disability is less readily apparent. Without the accommodation, I imagine you would be lucky to to get on a single ride without a meltdown. I applaud you for bringing your son & family to Disney. It is a shame there are ignorant people who judge you for not having a 'wheelchair'. I agree, very sad indeed!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
From the article:
“My daughter waited one minute to get on ‘It’s a Small World’ — the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours,” crowed one mom, who hired a disabled guide through Dream Tours Florida.

Waiting 2 1/2 hours for Small World? I agree, after waiting that long and then enduring that ride, it would truly be horrible. I would pay anything to get that done and over with in 15 minutes or less.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I see it all the time at Disneyland.

My son even mentioned groups of kids getting a wheelchair on a school trip and they all took turns riding in the chair.

I explained to him how inappropriate that was considering he has a cousin who is handicapped.

The abuse is pretty obvious when you're at the park.

jc92869

TUG Member
Reaction score
thank you

I have mobility issues and so I use the supposed "perks" associated with my disability.

I am not offended by your question at all.

Sometimes, I too even wonder why a person is using the handicap parking, when they are easily and quickly able to hop out of the car and run into the store without a walker (which I use) or a scooter/wheelchair. But then I also know that not all disabilities are visible to the casual observer.

Having said that though, I'd much rather be able to walk or stand without pain 24/7. So, I'd be glad to trade my my spot at the front of the line for your spot in line, if you'd like to take over the almost constant pain and discomfort I experience on a daily basis. Will this work for you? :) ;)

Thank you for two things.

1) giving me a rational, rather than emotional response
2) understanding that my comment was not an underwhelming attempt at insult, but rather an honest attempt to gain insight and understanding.

With that in mind, i appreciate that you mentioned the word "perks" as opposed to making it sound as if they were entitlements.

I am part of minority group. And i am incensed when people from my minority group demand entitlements and special treatment, yet on the other had ask to not be treated as being different than anyone else.

I can understand your feelings, and I would not trade standing in line with having a condition that makes life even tougher.

jc92869

TUG Member
Reaction score
thank you

One of the big scandals in my state of Pennsylvania is the issuance of the so-called “handicapped placards” which entitle people to use handicapped parking spaces. Suffice it to say that most of the people seen using these state issued passes, tend to be not yet eligible for senior discounts or AARP membership, and all too able to walk freely without any sign of difficulty. There is also a high correlation of the placard issuance to use of food stamps and public assistance. The current national (and rational) dialog is about the abuse of the welfare system at large for gambling, strip clubs, liquor, and cigarettes. Enough said.

The other national scandal is the abuse of disability payments to those who are able-bodied and capable of working. Anyone who does not live under a rock has heard the countless stories of the bloated social security disability roles, as well as the countless “workers comp” abuses.

My next-door neighbor, who is now in his sixties, was in a mining accident more than 30 years ago. He has been confined to a wheelchair ever since. For these past 30 years he has ALWAYS worked full time. Despite being laid-off, he went to school for new career training, and has driven as much as 50 miles one way to the office – and back home again, for years as just another working person. Despite undergoing open heart surgery recently, he CONTINUES his daily regimen, and hopes to retire in the next few years. He has complained about not being able to find parking in the handicapped areas. He cannot understand why so many people claim they are unable to work.

I share his sentiments as well. As is always the case with the best of intentions, we have tried as a society to be mindful of those with extra challenges, and instead we have created an underclass of opportunistic people set on taking advantage, and looking for the easy way out. I’m sure some of these folks gaming the Disney lines have come-up through those ranks.... while many of those who do face some extra challenges may just want to be left alone.

Thank you for sharing some of my frustration. I think that a a big chunk of frustration comes from knowing that i'm being taken advantage by people who abuse the system. I Don't think anyone likes feeling that way.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe in two things

1. A society can be judged by how they treat their most vulnerable

2. karma- there's a little voice in my head that says God can make you need that handicapped spot or wheelchair when I see what looks like abuse (and I'm not religious)

Based on these 2 beliefs I think Disneyland does an awesome job of accomodating everyone and people who abuse the system for their own benefit will eventually get their just rewards. I just wish they came sooner.

Joan

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see it all the time at Disneyland.

My son even mentioned groups of kids getting a wheelchair on a school trip and they all took turns riding in the chair.

I explained to him how inappropriate that was considering he has a cousin who is handicapped.

The abuse is pretty obvious when you're at the park.

The abuse may seem pretty obvious, but it is also pretty easy to be wrong. Those who abuse the rules take advantage of the fact that not all disabilities are readily apparent. They also take advantage of the fact they need not prove the disability or even disclose the medical diagnosis, but instead only request the accomodation(s) needed. Personally, I wish that companies like Disney who do a great job following ADA, had better flexibility in the law to catch abuse.

Disney took steps to combat abuse years back by moving to the current GAC system, which eliminated the one size fits all type of accommodations. More recently, Disney required all stamps to be placed on the same GAC card and made some stamps mutually exclusive of each other (this to combat cheaters that were using different cards based on per attraction benefit). Disney now also ties GAC cards to annual passports - this gives the appearance of convenience. I believe it also helps Disney combat fraud as now there are more permanent records involved. These moms in this story, just like all who commit fraud at Disney (shoplifters, gate jumpers, etc), deserve the 'banned for life' treatment from Disney. Disney employs some security theater, but I know they also do an excellent job catching criminals using much less obvious techniques.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would add another set of words...

"Self inflicted (gross) obesity".

Really? That is quite an insensitive, prejudiced and judgmental comment. If you took the time to know and love someone suffering from gross obesity, you may learn that the root causes vary person to person and are often far more complex/difficult to deal with than you imply. It is more than diet and exercise. For example, I know someone who suffered from gross obesity after struggling for well over a decade with severe depression following the violent suicide of her only child. It took much counseling and surgery and struggle to rebuild her life and become 'acceptable' to people like you.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really? That is quite an insensitive, prejudiced and judgmental comment. If you took the time to know and love someone suffering from gross obesity, you may learn that the root causes vary person to person and are often far more complex/difficult to deal with than you imply. It is more than diet and exercise. For example, I know someone who suffered from gross obesity after struggling for well over a decade with severe depression following the violent suicide of her only child. It took much counseling and surgery and struggle to rebuild her life and become 'acceptable' to people like you.

Well said. :)

As I posted, I was not offended by the one comment...but then the other two that chimed in seemed to go over the top and take a far more hurtful tone to their views.... :(

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I believe that some lines at WDW don't really provide any benefit of "line jumping" to the disabled. Haunted Mansion is one that I can think of. The cutoff for handicap is right before the turnstiles way up not far from the entrance to the stretching room.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that some lines at WDW don't really provide any benefit of "line jumping" to the disabled. Haunted Mansion is one that I can think of. The cutoff for handicap is right before the turnstiles way up not far from the entrance to the stretching room.

Very true. The intent of the wheelchair stamp is not for 'line jumping'. Newer attractions are widening waiting lines so wheel chairs can wait with everyone else. Some older attractions can be faster, others can take much longer. Disney is very technology savvy, so they may already be capable of catching guests who routinely get fast passes to rides like space mountain (where wheelchair line is often longer, but fast pass requires lots of standing/walking/stairs) and then use wheelcair stamp for places like Fantasyland. As another example, on some attractions, elevators take much longer during the portion of the line where one is almost there. Where abuse has been rampant, (ex: new cars land), Disney was forced to switch to manual fast pass return times provided by better trained staff to GAC card holders. To Disney's credit, they have alternate entrance procedures & other stamps in place, which vary by attraction, to accommodate guests with severe cognitive disabilities, such as down syndrome and autism, and for special kids on their 'make a wish' trip. Without this accommodation, it would be extremely difficult, if not downright impossible and unsafe, for these families to bring their special kids to Disney.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, why, sitting in a wheelchair, would DD and her companion also need or get front of the line speedier access? Good question and it seems to me that whether it is actually needed or justified depends on the individual's and perhaps family's situation.

Let's take DD's situation. She would pass out - even when sitting in the chair - when overheated, which happened when crowded among those who were standing. Also, she needed physical assistance to walk the step or two onto and off rides, so as not to fall. Certain seats were often designated for disabled access, so the ride operators and assistants needed to organize who would sit where, which they could better do if those needing assistance were up front. Many rides had steps or other tricky access, which necessitated a special entrance for those who couldn't navigate same.

All that being said, probably half the time, she/we did not go to the front of the line. We waited with others, until the ride operator or assistant saw us getting close to the front, and then determined whether we would move up OR back a few spaces so as to be efficiently organized into the appropriate entrance or seats. In a few situations, where the crowding of lines seemed to be leading to dizziness etc, we either asked to leave the queue or asked if we might be able to get into a disabled access seat sooner.

So in our case, front of the line was needed only sometimes. It was granted whenever needed, and sometimes when not, and often to help staff efficiently shuttle people onto the rides.

PS - we were there over New Years, and navigating the crowds was extremely difficult and at times claustrophobic.

PPS - we stayed far away from the most popular "thrill" rides, opting only for the relatively less crowded tame experiences.

PPPS - I live in PA and have a disability placard. I appear to walk relatively well. However, if I parked farther out in the lot, The extra walking would become difficult, and i would soon be obviously slower and limping and need support. I use nearby parking spots whenever possible, and avoid taking up handicapped spots that others may need more than I, Unless they are the only close spots.

Last edited:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mother had polio as a child. The left side of her body was atrophied. I am 62 years old, so as I was growing up there were not too many handicapped accommodations for her. Over the years when we went to Disney and other tourist attractions I saw how difficult it was for her to stand in lines and be surrounded by crowds, but she did it for me. Anyone who has the audacity to ask why handicapped access is necessary is also handicapped (as my mother would have said)-- mentally.

There is another program at Disney World. For about $200 per hour you can pay for a guide who fast tracks you through the lines. I forget what the program is called but I know many wealthy young families use this service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.