• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can't book...

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was going to make a reservation for October 1st at HGVC, but apparently we can't book more than 365 days out. I will have to wait until October to book.

Is the resort on International Drive the closest to Disneyworld?

Anyone know the distance from the HGVC resort to Disneyworld?

cruisereg

Reaction score
I was going to make a reservation for October 1st at HGVC, but apparently we can't book more than 365 days out. I will have to wait until October to book.

Is the resort on International Drive the closest to Disneyworld?

Anyone know the distance from the HGVC resort to Disneyworld?

The Parc Soleil is probably about the same distance to Disneyworld and, in my opinion, the best of the 3 resorts. It is also the newest. I wouldn't do any of the resorts with the intention of going to Disneyworld without a car (feeble attempt to read between the lines).

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would depend on the route, and where in WDW you are going. From HGVC I-drive location to EPCOT for example is about 8 miles. Parc Soleil might be about a half mile closer, again depending on route.

I assume you realize that you can only book your home resort 12 months out, and it has to be in the season and unit size you own, and for a full week beginning on a Saturday for I-drive. Any variation in this means you have to wait until 9 months out to book.

Last edited:

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ya, I just realized that I can't book. This will actually be the first time I've will book a vacation using points. Guess I'll have to pay the $84 to send my points into 2012, the book in Feb/Mar for whatever they charge to book. Bummer.

I also see the HGVC in Orlando on International Drive in the RCI book. Which is the better place to book from HGVC or RCI?

I suspect we'll rent a car at the airport and use it for a week. We want to do other things besides disneyworld. I'll get a 3 day pass at Disneyworld or some such thing.

Since I'll be converting 5000 points into 2012, and I'll get another 5,000 its in 2012. I probably have to book TWO resorts in 2012 or convert another 5000 into 2013.

I wonder what we can do for 10,000 points in 2012 since I doubt we'll take 2 week-long trips in 2012. I still have to use a Princess Cruise credit too.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Here is where HGVC is better
HGVC has lower reservation fees $49. RCI has $179.

HGVC you can cancel 31 days prior and get ALL your points back. RCI you will get your points back, too, but I don't remember is the cancellation policy is different than the HGVC policy or if you get the same policy.

In HGVC if you book online, you can book a changable reservation, which basically mean you can change it to another reservation for anytime that same use year.

Here is where RCI is better. Lots of inventory, cheaper points.

If you are trying to stretch points, it is actually cheaper to trade into HGVC via RCI. A 2 BR platinum exchange is 7000 and in RCI it is 4800. Plus the higher exchange fee. However it might be worth it to save 2200 points.

Restrictions that come into play.....

Orlando has lot of availability, but you can't book HGVC until 9 months out via the HGVC RCI portal, as it has the same booking window as HGVC does for HGVC resorts. If you had a non-HGVC RCI account you could book the fall at HGVC now.

Notes some HGVC are listed as a points resort and some as a weeks resort, you probably can't find the HGVC resort because you are looking under the wrong RCI classification Weeks or Points.

Cancellation Policy for HGVC
Cancellation of a reservation thirty (30) days to fifteen (15) days in advance of the check-in date will result in forfeiture of 25% points.
Cancellation of a reservation fourteen (14) days to six (6) days in advance of the check-in date will result in forfeiture of 50% of the points.
Cancellations occurring five (5) or fewer days in advance of the check-in date will result in 100% forfeiture of the points.

Brkian

TUG Member
Reaction score
For Orlando 2012, you don't need to be in any hurry to book (unless it makes you feel better to get something locked in early). This is a slow time of the year and you should be able to book exactly what you want at any point prior to your trip at any of the 3 resorts. Just take a look at October 2011 (use the "classic" view) and you'll see what I mean. We go to Orlando about every 10 months and always wait to find great airfare before we lock in dates/rooms. Never had a problem, yet.

There are lots of threads here discussing the pros/cons of each resort. A little searching should find them quickly. Personally, I like I-Drive since it's a finished resort and very comfortable. Many here like Parc Soleil as it is newer and has a fancier pool. I've been to all three and it just depends on what type of facility you prefer. If you have a car, though, location shouldn't matter much since they are all within a 5 minute drive of each other and have easy access to Disney.

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I will book I-Drive because I presume that it has nice sized rooms. I a all for room comfort. I would love to get in cheap air fare since hubby no longer gets free flights to anywhere anymore. Now we have to pay. Waaaaaa!

Since I have never been any resort other than where we bought (Karen, Las Vegas) I don't know from squat where to roost for a week. I want whatever is closest to Disneyworld.

Want to see whatever else we can see in Orlando. Now... what's the best deal on Disneyworld tickets! I'm guessing we can get a 4 day pass, and is 4 days enough time to toot around? Never been to Disneyworld.

Of course, now that we are timeshare owners, we can go back every year if we want.

I was only trying to book NOW so that I wouldn't have to move my points into 2012 or into RCI. As it stands, I'll have to pay the $84 and move them anyway. If I wasn't going to Vegas again next month, then the Holy Land in November/December, I'd book a week somewhere and use my 2011 points this year, but time and trips got away from me.

Sandy-- thanks for the explanation of RCI v HGVC. I wish HGVC had more resorts!

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
"it is actually cheaper to trade into HGVC via RCI"

What does this mean? I'm guessing that if I were to put 5000 points into RCI they are good for 2 years and I don't need to spend as many points if I book a HGVC resort through RCI... Right?

How much does it cost to put points into RCI?

Are my chances of getting a 1 bdrm suite through RCI at the I-Drive location better or worse than going through HGVC?

Having never used points at all I'm nervous about what to do. Easier if someone just TELLS me what to do! ha ha. I wish I had been on this board BEFORE I bought my timeshare, but live and learn I guess.

got4boys

TUG Member
Reaction score
"it is actually cheaper to trade into HGVC via RCI"

What does this mean? I'm guessing that if I were to put 5000 points into RCI they are good for 2 years and I don't need to spend as many points if I book a HGVC resort through RCI... Right?

How much does it cost to put points into RCI?

Are my chances of getting a 1 bdrm suite through RCI at the I-Drive location better or worse than going through HGVC?

Having never used points at all I'm nervous about what to do. Easier if someone just TELLS me what to do! ha ha. I wish I had been on this board BEFORE I bought my timeshare, but live and learn I guess.

Ginny, that is okay. Before TUG, many of us brought from the developer, yes I was one of them and HGV Club was the one I brought.

I still use and love my HGV Club points for only HGV Club, but you can trade in with other resorts.

Use it and borrow (free) instead of moving the points into next year (yes there is a fee).

Note: Read the manual cover to cover twice, especially the small print. Since you purchased 5,000 points, most likely you purchased a 2 bedroom in gold season.

You can book into your home resort in the season you purchase for no booking fees (for a week in gold season in a 2 bedroom). Any variance after that, it is $49 to book a smaller size, less or more days, etc.

Note, if you know you are not going to use your points for next year, convert them to HHonors points (not really the best value, and of course for a fee), but they NEVER expire!

I ended up doing (converting them to HHonors) that because I was trading into the Hilton properties with other units I own. I am glad that I did. One of my boys is now in college and in a college town. Trust me, when it costs $400 to book a Hampton Inn because it is move in day, the 25,000 points HHonors are definitely getting my monies worth.

Peggy

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
(1)... The 364-day window is only for "home week" reservations wherein you book 7 days where you own in the same size+season. Otherwise its a "club" reservation which window starts _276_ days before your check-out date.

(2)... Orlando HGVC resorts are easy booking, with plenty of availability long after the "club" reservation window opens. But if your aim is to trade-in thru RCI, you cannot count on RCI availability since that depends on the volume of HGVC-member exchanges. IOW, do not be surprised to find it more difficult than making a club-reservation.

(3)... RCI "costs less" in that, while the RCI reservation fee is higher, you can get the same size unit for fewer points than it would take for a HGVC booking.

(4)... For HGVC bookings, you have to use the points alotted for the year of your stay, not current year points (they would have to be rescued first). However, for an RCI booking, you can use current-year points for a future booking without doing a rescue. I recently booked NOLA for next Spring with current-year points.

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good idea to read my book again. The first time I read it I was thoroughly confused!

I think I will pay $84, send my points into 2012. Come February, I'll call and reserve a week on I-Drive for the first week in October 2012.

Thanks EVERYONE for your suggestions and comments! I appreciate all of you!:clap:

got4boys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good idea to read my book again. The first time I read it I was thoroughly confused!

I think I will pay $84, send my points into 2012. Come February, I'll call and reserve a week on I-Drive for the first week in October 2012.

Thanks EVERYONE for your suggestions and comments! I appreciate all of you!:clap:

I would create an online account at www.hgvclub.com. You can do it online and it will save you $$. Instead of $84, it would be $69 to move forward a year or convert your next year's points to HHonors . Same thing with reserving. $64 on the phone or $49 online. All the fees involved is under the Hilton Vacations Club Fee Schedule in the Club Reference section of the Member Guide.

Just remember, borrowing future years points is free (using 2013 points in 2012), and you DO not have to prepay the maintanence fees for that year to borrow.

Peggy

7SeasLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a member online. I didn't know (or I forgot) that it's cheaper online. Getting old and not remembering is the pits! Let's see... now where did I put my husband?:doh:

akor

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own FAVC which is Hilton affiliate, I think we have the same rules as HGVC. I just found out when trading thru RCI there are different rules regarding what years points you can use when booking a "points" resort or a "weeks" resort. You may use this years point to reserve a "weeks' in future years..but "points' reservations must use the year points that the travel is in or borrow from future. Example is I am going to Aruba and staying at a RCI "points" resort in March 2012 and still have 2011 points but since the travel is in 2012 it pulled 2012 points and now I have to borrow some 2013 points in order to stay 3 night at HGVC in Orlando on my way and I will still have the 2011 points to use before the end of this year or start a RCI "weeks" search before the end of the year in which case they still be good for 2 more years. Hope I din't confuse you there.................