• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Long term [care] insurance? Did you buy it?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
After seeing the amount of money my friends have spent on LTC for their parents my husband and I bought LTC policies from Genworth about 2.5 years ago. We are currently 63 and 64 years old and in good health. Our monthly premiums are 250.29 for me and 278.21 for my husband. They cover $250 per day in a facility or at home. I could not see paying $12000 per month as my friends did!

Again, good for you but very expensive for average folk. $6000 per year! Another problem I see is that when we stop working, we for sure wouldn't be able to pay those premiums and would have to take money out of our savings to pay for them! Yikes! If we eventually had to stop paying the premiums due to increased unaffordability, we would have wasted that premium money. Especially for people who already live in expensive states, like NY, where our income is taxed to death! (no pun intended)- tough to make those payments.

No one knows what's to be. We kept my mom at home with her dementia and terminal cancer, with part-time home care paid for with my mom's money (less than a year). Then, we eventually put her in an assisted living facility with Hospice which cost over $55,000 for the 3 months she was there until her death, which was paid for with her savings.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
That's a very good rate! Wonder what it is now?

Doesn't it all depend on the benefits of the particular plan? This is a great rate relative to others posted here but we don't know what's included.

I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm younger than many of you but have been considering obtaining a policy since rates should be lower now than in the future for me.

Sent from my iPad

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
It's never too early to sign up for LTC, we got in mid forties, fifteen years ago. I just got my annual statement with 5% inflation increase. My premium is $87.77 a month.

Nursing home 100% up to $215/day
Residential Care 100% up to $150/day
Home & Community Care 100% up to $4515/month
Inflation Protection included
90 day deductible period, once per lifetime.
Waiver of Premium included
Return of Premium Death Benefit included

Through my retirement system - Calpers.

we went through complete liquidation of parents estate for dementia care, not fun.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Gotta love that CalPers plan. I forgot to mention Return of Death Benefit if you die before age 70,or so (not sure exact age) without using insurance. I know they paid this when Jerry died.

You know that your spouse, parents and dependent adults are all eligible under your account, right?

Fern

It's never too early to sign up for LTC, we got in mid forties, fifteen years ago. I just got my annual statement with 5% inflation increase. My premium is $87.77 a month.

we went through complete liquidation of parents estate for dementia care, not fun.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Can anyone purchase this Calpers plan? No- it is, of course, for government employees! Anyway- just found this interesting link about Calpers and its' 85% premium hike to stay solvent. Read the comments below the article....http://calwatchdog.com/2013/02/20/outrage-at-calpers-85-rate-hike-for-long-term-care/

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Can anyone purchase this Calpers plan? No- it is, of course, for government employees! Anyway- just found this interesting link about Calpers and its' 85% premium hike to stay solvent. Read the comments below the article....http://calwatchdog.com/2013/02/20/outrage-at-calpers-85-rate-hike-for-long-term-care/

I've seen that, I already switched to the 10 yr option, if I'm in care that long just shoot me:). That doesn't apply to us anyway, we aren't over 70. That's for the few that bought in late and now want to keep the lifetime care option.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it all depend on the benefits of the particular plan? This is a great rate relative to others posted here but we don't know what's included.

I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm younger than many of you but have been considering obtaining a policy since rates should be lower now than in the future for me.

Sent from my iPad
I do not recall all the particulars but I purchased mid-level plan with inflation protection. As we live in massachusetts! our estimated health costs are higher than most. The plan allows for inpatient and/or in home care. I purchased as part of Hadassah group which was actually less costly than what wS being offered by AARP or my employer( employer benefit wad not available when I took out this coverage.). I would suggest checking with cations organizations to see if they have insurance options.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
My coverage is very similar to SmithOp's but not through CalPers. Benefits are up to about $250 a day and unlimited, and can be spent either on nursing home care or in-home. Basically it's a pool of money you can tap for any covered use.

Bought it from Genworth at age 54, 11 years ago. Premium is about $150 a month. The earlier you buy it. the cheaper, and you don't have to worry about becoming uninsurable. Ask about non-forfeiture benefits if you can't afford it after you stop working. Or ask about paying more up front while still working.

Pick the longest elimination period they offer. This is the "deductible" and makes a huge difference in the cost. If you own timeshares, you can probably afford 6 months of self-insurance, especially if you save the difference in the premium between now and then.

Southpaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm 59, recently widowed, no kids and just bought LTCI from TransAmerica. In my discussion with the salesman, I said I was not sure I would need it because I believe I have enough to pay for a nursing home, if it comes to that and I don't have heirs to consider.

He said the *real* reason to have LTCI is in case home health care is needed. If I go into a nursing home for good, all my expenses are limited - no house, prop taxes, utilities, etc., assuming I sell my house.

If I am being cared for at home, I still need to pay for all those expenses, plus the cost of the care. That would be very costly.

I pay $271 per month for $170 per day max, lifetime max of $310K. I have a 3% inflation rate built in and a reset. The reset means that if I go into a nursing home and come out, the $310K max resets in case I have to go in again. The policy also has a provision for $1700 per month for non-professional care, for example, if a neighbor or relative takes care of me in my home instead of a professional.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back when I was about 45 I bought a LTC Policy. Increasing premiums, policy limits and benefit reductions soured me on it. I have the money so I opted to move into (see below) a CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community) where my monthly rent is significantly more than double what I would be paying for LTC Insurance. It costs me about $2,000 a month.

I say "move into" which is not quite accurate. I have my apartment there; it is already 100% furnished with my stuff; I eat there 4 or 5 times a week; I socialize there; all my mail goes there; but I live off campus in a duplex. The advantages of this are that I don't have to look for a place in a pressure situation; I am guaranteed coverage for life, not just a number of years; etc. All I have to do to move in is move my clothes which are not already there.

Yes, it is more costly, significantly more than double the cost of a Premium LTC Policy, but it gives me comfort that my kids won't have a problem finding me a place and convincing me that it is time to go and that the place they have chosen is suitable for me.

Just as the rules, options and premiums for LTC policies continue to "evolve" I have seen changes with the CCRC option I described above. For example when I bought in I paid a non-refundable front end fee of about $70,000. Note that about 50% of the front end fee and my monthly fees are tax deductible as "prepaid medical expenses" which takes some of the sting out of it.

Today most of the CCRCs require between $400,000 - $700,000 up front with the contractual obligation to refund between 70% and 90% to your heirs when you die depending on the amount of your initial payment. Your heirs only get the money after the CCRC has found someone else to take over your unit. This pretty much eliminates the CCRC option for those who don't have a lot of cash and/or have no desire to leave an estate.

George

PS Note that notwithstanding the change in direction of my CCRC regarding new Residents my contract, and the contracts of others who signed up under the old non-refundable plan will continue to stay in force as long as we live.