• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Smuggs New Check-In Time [merged] [Added: check in/out survey]

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Just notified of a new 5pm check-in time for owners and everyone else I guess. Used to be owners could check in before exchangers and renters. Years ago started at 3 or 3:30; then 4pm; and now is 5pm! Check out is 10am; used to be 11am. Very annoyed about this. I feel we purchased an 8 day, 7 night week and as far as I am concerned this is now a 6 day, 7 night week. Checking in at 5pm, by the time you get settled, it is already late. Used to be owners had the privilege of an earlier check in than everyone else.

Curious to know the check-in times at other resorts. I have been renting extra weeks elsewhere and they are always at least 4pm at the latest.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
4:00 and 10:00 are probably the most common times.

Early check-ins and late check-outs, require the rooms to be cleaned in a shorter amount of time, which takes more staff, which takes more money, which takes higher maintenance fees.

Are you willing to pay for an increase in maintenance fees to accomplish that? Some are - some aren't.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
4:00 and 10:00 are probably the most common times.

Early check-ins and late check-outs, require the rooms to be cleaned in a shorter amount of time, which takes more staff, which takes more money, which takes higher maintenance fees.

Are you willing to pay for an increase in maintenance fees to accomplish that? Some are - some aren't.

I get that. But, we purchased our week knowing check in was 3:30 and check out at 11am. Then, we accepted the 4pm and the 10 am when they changed it. Now it's 5pm. Next- it will be 6 or 7pm like at Massanutten. That's when I go ballistic and demand I be paid the time that has been taken from our vacation! All of a sudden they can't handle the cleaning- after all the years we have owned there- since 1999? Not to mention that off- season, hardly anyone is there. If I go up the 1st week of November, it will be practically empty there. Even during peak season, I think owners should be able to check in earlier than renters and exchangers- that's how it always was there. Soon there really will be no benefit to being an owner...

antjmar

Reaction score
Now it's 5pm.

All of a sudden they can't handle the cleaning- after all the years we have owned there- since 1999?
I was there this past July. I had a bad experience, got there about 3:00 staff told me room wasnt ready they would call me when ready . I called them at 4:30 room wasnt ready :mad:
I told them room should be ready by 4! They replied no 5:00 I said my Wyndham paperwork says 4... They said well we changed it recently. I replied well I just received a confirmation from Wyndham so maybe they should update their system. Finally got my room at 5:30. Room was FILTHY cigarette butts on deck garbage in hallway and DIRTY SHEETS!!!
I realize they are probably sold out in the summer but IMO Housekeeping staff is inadequate. I am telling you this since I know you are an owner. They need to hire new housekeeping staff. I love the resort Going back during Presidents week. Hopefully rooms will be clean and ready by 5:00!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thanks for letting me know that. Very interesting. What building were you in? I have been in contact with management there and they seem to think having the extra time to get the units ready will help-obviously didn't in your case! I have actually never had any problems with check in- only that now with Wyndham there they have the keys and we have to deal with them before we can check in, which delays things a bit..very annoying. Sometimes we might be missing something in the room or something might not be working, but they are very attentive towards correcting it. But I have never experienced what you have.

antjmar

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know that. Very interesting. What building were you in? I have been in contact with management there and they seem to think having the extra time to get the units ready will help-obviously didn't in your case! I have actually never had any problems with check in- only that now with Wyndham there they have the keys and we have to deal with them before we can check in, which delays things a bit..very annoying. Sometimes we might be missing something in the room or something might not be working, but they are very attentive towards correcting it. But I have never experienced what you have.

It was the maples.
I will add that at 5:30 when I went to the room a man said the freezer had to be defrosted so they had it off and were using hot water from a kettle to thaw the ice... didnt have the room to myself till past 6:00! I also found paperwork (welcome folder packet with confirmation letters etc) in the living from the previous guest.
We spent quite a bit of time discussing the lack of cleanliness (sheets with hairs and lipstick? on them) with different staff... No one seemed too concerned. I asked to speak to a manager that night but apparently no one was available:confused: The next morning someone claiming to be a manager called and said oh you have a problem cause a few cigarette butts were left on the deck?:wall: When maint came to clean the deck he even took the white plastic chairs on the deck away and brought new ones cause he said wow these are "gross"!!!

That was my second time at Smuggs first time was in a brand new Tamarack unit, Those are GREAT!!!:):)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well, I have to say, that is pretty bad! Surprised you keep coming back! The Tamaracks are much newer, which is why they have less maintenance issues, but all the units should be ready when they are supposed to and should meet standards. I think your experience proves that a later check-in time does not guarantee a cleaner well-prepared unit.

I think there could be an issue will people not observing the check-out time and not being penalized for it so they have no incentive to check out on time. And- I think the resort might have cut back on staff. Could be a management problem. Either that, or they can't get the help and are not admitting it. In any case- something is not right.

antjmar

Reaction score
Well, I have to say, that is pretty bad! Surprised you keep coming back!

Either that, or they can't get the help and are not admitting it. In any case- something is not right.

My first time there was a BRAND NEW Tamarack unit which was amazing. My bad experience was for my second visit this past July or August. Which I was "compensated" for the bad experience.
I already had my Presidents Week stay booked. I dont own there and I am sure you know that,s a tough week to get. My family and I do love the resort and all the activities. I am willing to give them a second chance. I hope I am not disappointed in Feb.

Personally I think the labor pool in the area is limited and with the "expansions" they just dont have adequate qualified staff. Just my opinion.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many south Americans that come on working visas for the winter. Look at the name badges at Stowe or Jay Peak in the winter.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

antjmar

Reaction score
Just received my pre arrival letter from Wyndham for February check in. Says check in at 4:00 pm check out at 10am:shrug:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
What is your check-in time?

A controversy brewing over check-in time at Smugglers Notch which has recently been changed to 5pm. Curious to know the check-in times at other resorts.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Check in/Check out Survey

What is your resort's check-in and check out time?

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is your resort's check-in and check out time?

I believe both Marriott and Royal resorts "official" times are check in 4 PM and check o it 10 AM. But there is usually flexibility depending on availability of units. We always pack beach ware in our carry on, check in upon arrival, change and head for lunch and pool. They text us when our unit is available. I have also been able to place perishables in the fridge while the villa is being hanged over.

SnowDogDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the Marriott Grand Residence in South Lake Tahoe, our check-in time is 4pm and our check out time is 11am. (Our ownership weeks are Friday-to-Friday though some owners own multiple quarters/continuous weeks.)

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best I can recall, of some 40+ TS resorts virtually all were in at 4:00PM and out at 10:00AM.

In general I have found most are flexible if not peak time.

Being pragmatic if check out is 10:00AM around 1/2 the units should be ready by 1:00PM! Likewise , there is no way HK can hit all rooms at 10:01 AM!

On a couple exchanges I did find no early or lates allowed.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
10 years ago, I would have said that almost all were 4pm in and 11am out.
Now it seems that more and more are pushing one or both to either 5pm in and 11 am out or 4pm in and 10am out. It is rarer but becoming more common for the 5pm in 10am out. Massanutten use to be 4pm in and 10am out but would give a gift card for $10 to one of the on site restaurants/deli's if you checked in between 7pm and 11pm during peak season weeks. I liked that better than the blanket change to a 5pm check in with early check in if available.

At Gurney's which will cease as a timeshare in 2017, the check in time is 4pm but the check out is noon.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark: in = 4, out = 12
Wyndham: in = 4 (2 if VIP), out = 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
10 years ago, I would have said that almost all were 4pm in and 11am out.
Now it seems that more and more are pushing one or both to either 5pm in and 11 am out or 4pm in and 10am out. It is rarer but becoming more common for the 5pm in 10am out. Massanutten use to be 4pm in and 10am out but would give a gift card for $10 to one of the on site restaurants/deli's if you checked in between 7pm and 11pm during peak season weeks. I liked that better than the blanket change to a 5pm check in with early check in if available.

At Gurney's which will cease as a timeshare in 2017, the check in time is 4pm but the check out is noon.

Personally, a $10 gift card wouldn't do it for me for a check-in at 7pm! That is outrageous! You buy a timeshare for 8 days and 7 nights. If you are checking in at 7pm and out at 10 or 11, you lose a day. They would have to pay me big bucks for that! In fact, they should be paying us big bucks for a 4 or 5 pm check-in. The day is over by then and the use of the unit is what the deed is about- not the resort amenities (which at Smuggs for ex. is a separate entity)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Best I can recall, of some 40+ TS resorts virtually all were in at 4:00PM and out at 10:00AM.

In general I have found most are flexible if not peak time.

Being pragmatic if check out is 10:00AM around 1/2 the units should be ready by 1:00PM! Likewise , there is no way HK can hit all rooms at 10:01 AM!

On a couple exchanges I did find no early or lates allowed.

EXACTLY! I also think if resorts are going to make check-in later than they should be making check-out later, since timeshare owners have paid for a full week's use of a unit.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Personally, a $10 gift card wouldn't do it for me for a check-in at 7pm! That is outrageous! You buy a timeshare for 8 days and 7 nights. If you are checking in at 7pm and out at 10 or 11, you lose a day. They would have to pay me big bucks for that! In fact, they should be paying us big bucks for a 4 or 5 pm check-in. The day is over by then and the use of the unit is what the deed is about- not the resort amenities (which at Smuggs for ex. is a separate entity)

It wouldn't make me go for 7pm but it is at a location where I could work and get off work at 4pm, pack the car, stop for dinner along the way and get there at 7pm. When you get there at 4 on a Friday, you might be in line for 20-30 minutes. Also 4pm is inconvenient in my opinion because I then need to leave the property and go get dinner or cook which I probably don't feel like. I don't particularly like the onsite restaurants. The $10 bought nachos and a soda at the water park.

The difference between Massanutten and Smuggs is that probably at least half of the people who stay drive 2.5-5 hours to get there. If I planned on arriving early I still would. If I planned on arriving between 6-7 or later anyway, it was a bonus.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It wouldn't make me go for 7pm but it is at a location where I could work and get off work at 4pm, pack the car, stop for dinner along the way and get there at 7pm. When you get there at 4 on a Friday, you might be in line for 20-30 minutes. Also 4pm is inconvenient in my opinion because I then need to leave the property and go get dinner or cook which I probably don't feel like. I don't particularly like the onsite restaurants. The $10 bought nachos and a soda at the water park.

The difference between Massanutten and Smuggs is that probably at least half of the people who stay drive 2.5-5 hours to get there. If I planned on arriving early I still would. If I planned on arriving between 6-7 or later anyway, it was a bonus.

I see, yes- good point, Tracey. If you live close to the resort it's not so bad.