• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

13-month Rule and lock-offs

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been answered but what defines multiple weeks when it comes to lock-offs? I am assuming splitting a single unit into two would not qualify for the 13 months. What about one full villa and a studio, two studios, or two one bedrooms?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been answered but what defines multiple weeks when it comes to lock-offs? I am assuming splitting a single unit into two would not qualify for the 13 months. What about one full villa and a studio, two studios, or two one bedrooms?

I'm not sure how you have this phrased, but basically you need to own two weeks and book them consecutively and/or concurrently to take advantage of the 13 month booking rule.

They don't need to be at the same resort, but they do need to be able to be reserved at the same time. An example of that could be a Gold Week at Ocean Pointe, and a Platinum Week at The Custom House if you wanted to reserve in June, July and August. This is just a simple example.

Of course you could do this at one resort if you owned two weeks there and you planned to reserve them in the same season. You could also do them back to back in different seasons if you owned the correct weeks; for example Ocean Pointe week 50 Silver and Ocean Pointe week 51 Platinum....

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you have this phrased, but basically you need to own two weeks and book them consecutively and concurrently to take advantage of the 13 month booking rule.

They don't need to be at the same resort, but they do need to be able to be reserved at the same time. An example of that could be a Gold Week at Ocean Pointe, and a Platinum Week at The Custom House if you wanted to reserve in June, July and August. This is just a simple example.

Of course you could do this at one resort if you owned two weeks there and you planned to reserve them in the same season. You could also do them back to back in different seasons if you owned the correct weeks; for example Ocean Pointe week 50 Silver and Ocean Pointe week 51 Platinum....

Hope I didn't confuse you.

I am mainly after whether I can book only two studios and use the 13 months. Or a combination of partial villas. I noticed that on my account I have the option of selecting the full villa, 1 BR, or studio to book. It does not appear that I have to book the full villa at the same time. So basically my question is if I book half of it now, can I still use the other half in conjunction with another unit and still take advantage of the 13 months?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
It is also my understanding that if you own two 2BR lock-offs, that you can book 4 weeks of vacation consecutively.

Example:

Week 1: Studio in Unit A
Week 2: Studio in Unit B
Week 3: 1BR in Unit A
Week 4: 1BR in Unit B

I've not done this, but this is what I've gathered from other threads.

Best,

Greg

Edited: just saw your response -- I'm afraid I don't know the answer -- I'm interpreting the question to be can I book the Studio side now (at 13 months out) but not book the 1BR side until a later date? I didn't think this was possible, but not sure.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I am mainly after whether I can book only two studios and use the 13 months. Or a combination of partial villas. I noticed that on my account I have the option of selecting the full villa, 1 BR, or studio to book. It does not appear that I have to book the full villa at the same time. So basically my question is if I book half of it now, can I still use the other half in conjunction with another unit and still take advantage of the 13 months?

You cannot use the 13-mos Reservation Window to lock off a single Week and book only those two units. But yes, you can use the 13-mos Reservation Window to book portions of a lock-off combined with other Week(s,) as long as the intervals being booked fall consecutively/concurrently.

Not sure if you're asking, but I don't know how/when/if it's possible to book a full villa and then separate it into lock-off portions at a later date (or vice-versa with booking portions of a lock-off and then combining those for one full villa at a later date.)

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You cannot use the 13-mos Reservation Window to lock off a single Week and book only those two units. But yes, you can use the 13-mos Reservation Window to book portions of a lock-off combined with other Week(s,) as long as the intervals being booked fall consecutively/concurrently.

Not sure if you're asking, but I don't know how/when/if it's possible to book a full villa and then separate it into lock-off portions at a later date (or vice-versa with booking portions of a lock-off and then combining those for one full villa at a later date.)

I just spoke with an MVC representative and he said that you can use the 13 month rule to lock off a single unit if you are booking it consecutively into two weeks. Interesting to know.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just spoke with an MVC representative and he said that you can use the 13 month rule to lock off a single unit if you are booking it consecutively into two weeks. Interesting to know.

I know you can do that with one week at the 12 month mark, but I find it interesting that they are saying that you can do this at the 13 month mark.

My guess is when you try to do it they won't allow it, but I hope for your sake they do!

They may as well throw the 12 month rule out the door if they do allow it.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know you can do that with one week at the 12 month mark, but I find it interesting that they are saying that you can do this at the 13 month mark.

My guess is when you try to do it they won't allow it, but I hope for your sake they do!

The entire purpose of the 13 month rule (implemented in the 90's) was to encourage owners to purchase more than one week.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

The entire purpose of the 13 month rule (implemented in the 90's) was to encourage owners to purchase more than one week.

I agree and even though he was very clear he very well may be wrong. No matter to me because I am only interested in booking a full villa along with a studio using the 13 months.

Docklander

TUG Member
Reaction score

I will be very surprised if this transpires to be true as I suspect this info has come from a misinformed or confused agent.

If for some reason this is possible then it's a serious devaluation of multi-week owner privileges IMO.

Edited to add: Although perhaps this may explain why I couldn't get inventory at MOC (L&N Villas) at 6:01am PT today for a 13 month booking.

Last edited:

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be very surprised if this transpires to be true as I suspect this info has come from a misinformed or confused agent.

If for some reason this is possible then it's a serious devaluation of multi-week owner privileges IMO.

Edited to add: Although perhaps this may explain why I couldn't get inventory at MOC (L&N Villas) at 6:01am PT today for a 13 month booking.

Saintsfan IS a multiple weeks owner, based on the ownership listed below his handle. Was the VOA was giving an 'owner or ownership specific' response?

Accordingly, I wonder if this may be permissible . . . but only for for multiple weeks owners.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

This is not the case. The two weeks booked at 13 months must come from different ownership weeks. You can book part of lockoff #1 and part of lockoff #2, but you cannot book both parts of the same lockoff, UNLESS you are booking a third week from another ownership week.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Boca is correct.

You cannot take one resort and make reservations at 13 months by simply locking it off. By rule you must include a second ownership week when making a 13 month reservation.

With that being said, I have run across some VOA's that would probably have done whatever I ask them when making reservations in the past.

I have made 13 month reservations twice this year already, and each time it included two different resorts.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, you can take two studios to make a 13 month reservation. Yes, you can then take the other half of either of these units and make another 13 month reservation.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is from the reservation procedures at Grande Vista.

3.2.b, Home Resort Reservation Period. As more specifically set forth below, the Home Resort Reservation Period for a Club Member's use of a Unit during a Vacation Time Period associated with his Timeshare Interest during each Reservation Window begins on the date which is twelve (12) months (or thirteen (13) months in the case of Club Members who own multiple Timeshare Interests, at one or more Club Resorts, timeshare plans or other vacation resorts owned or operated by Marriott Ownership Resorts, Inc. or its affiliates and branded as "Marriott Vacation Club", seeking to reserve usage for consecutive or concurrent Vacation Time Periods in advance of the date of the first check-in day for use of a Unit during the Vacation Time Period assigned pursuant to these Club Rules and lasts until the earlier of (i) the Club Member's voluntary decision to relinquish his Home Resort Reservation Period rights or (ii) six (6) months (seven (7) months in the case of Club Members who own multiple Timeshare Interests, at one or more Club Resorts, timeshare plans or other vacation resorts owned or operated by Marriott Ownership Resorts, Inc. or its affiliates and branded as "Marriott Vacation Club", from the start of the Reservation Window.

You will note that there is no requirement that the weeks be from two separate ownership weeks. Just that I own multiple weeks and be reserving consecutive weeks. So I should be able to lock off our one unit and reserve both sides back to back. I am a multi week owner and am reserving consecutive weeks. Nothing indicating that I need to be using all or a portion of both weeks.

Interesting.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

You will note that there is no requirement that the weeks be from two separate ownership weeks. Just that I own multiple weeks and be reserving consecutive weeks. So I should be able to lock off our one unit and reserve both sides back to back. I am a multi week owner and am reserving consecutive weeks. Nothing indicating that I need to be using all or a portion of both weeks.

Interesting.

And that would make sense considering the consensus is that you can use both halves of different units. It would be a bit silly to force a multi week owner to lock off both units and use a half of each. Silly but it wouldn't be surprising.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Interesting.

Interesting indeed, and we all may need to dig a little deeper. The wording of the quote you provided makes no mention either way. It does not state that you can take a single week and lock it off at 13 months without involving the second ownership week, nor does it state you cannot.

If this scenario holds true, and from what I've read, a person who owns a Florida Club unit, and more than one Marriott in total, can make reservations at 7 months out at another FC resort by simply locking off one FC unit.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

Quote:
3.2.b, Home Resort Reservation Period. As more specifically set forth below, the Home Resort Reservation Period for a Club Member's use of a Unit during a Vacation Time Period associated with his Timeshare Interest during each Reservation Window begins on the date which is twelve (12) months (or thirteen (13) months in the case of Club Members who own multiple Timeshare Interests, at one or more Club Resorts, timeshare plans or other vacation resorts owned or operated by Marriott Ownership Resorts, Inc. or its affiliates and branded as "Marriott Vacation Club", seeking to reserve usage for consecutive or concurrent Vacation Time Periods in advance of the date of the first check-in day for use of a Unit during the Vacation Time Period assigned pursuant to these Club Rules and lasts until the earlier of (i) the Club Member's voluntary decision to relinquish his Home Resort Reservation Period rights or (ii) six (6) months (seven (7) months in the case of Club Members who own multiple Timeshare Interests, at one or more Club Resorts, timeshare plans or other vacation resorts owned or operated by Marriott Ownership Resorts, Inc. or its affiliates and branded as "Marriott Vacation Club", from the start of the Reservation Window.

Interesting.

"Vacation Time Period" and "Timeshare Interest" are capitalized and therefore defined terms in your quote of the MGV reservation procedures paragraph.

Do those definitions shed any light on this question?

OldPantry

TUG Member
Reaction score

Interesting.
Well, I tried to do this exact thing last Tuesday. That is, I own multiple weeks, and wanted to use the 13 month window to split my Timber Lodge into 1BR and lock-off weeks, booked consecutively. No dice. I huffed and puffed, but they were adamant that the consecutive (or concurrent) booking had to come from two separate owner weeks. So, now I'm waiting (not very patiently either) for the 12-month window to open for July weeks.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
must depend on the rep

Well, I tried to do this exact thing last Tuesday. That is, I own multiple weeks, and wanted to use the 13 month window to split my Timber Lodge into 1BR and lock-off weeks, booked consecutively. No dice. I huffed and puffed, but they were adamant that the consecutive (or concurrent) booking had to come from two separate owner weeks. So, now I'm waiting (not very patiently either) for the 12-month window to open for July weeks.

It must depend on the rep you get. A few weeks ago I reserved for 2013. I called a couple of days in advance of that week's opening as a refresher about splitting, the hour that they begin taking calls, etc. When I asked about the 13 month rule, the CSR said that I could split my 2 br lock off and reserve concurrent weeks. In fact, the CSR asked me if I wanted to do it then.

So it might depend on the particular CSR that you get....

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It must depend on the rep you get. A few weeks ago I reserved for 2013. I called a couple of days in advance of that week's opening as a refresher about splitting, the hour that they begin taking calls, etc. When I asked about the 13 month rule, the CSR said that I could split my 2 br lock off and reserve concurrent weeks. In fact, the CSR asked me if I wanted to do it then.

So it might depend on the particular CSR that you get....

Did you do it right then? I thought they didn't even have the capability to do a reservation too early even if they wanted to.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
"Vacation Time Period" and "Timeshare Interest" are capitalized and therefore defined terms in your quote of the MGV reservation procedures paragraph.

Do those definitions shed any light on this question?

Here are those definitions.

1.29 Vacation Time Period shall mean a period of seven (7) consecutive days of time in a Unit available for use reservation by Club Members through the Club. Unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, use of the term Vacation Time Period used herein shall also include usage for Split Week Vacation Time Periods for normal (i.e., use of an entire Unit) or lock-off use, and usage for such other intervals (daily or otherwise) as Club Manager may from time to time permit in its sole discretion.

1.27 Timeshare Interest shall mean the legal right (by whatever means legally evidenced, e.g., deed, lease, license, contract, etc., and however defined, e.g., timeshare estate, timeshare license, or other ownership interest which is owned or otherwise acquired by a Club Member) which grants such Club Member the right to use accommodations and facilities at a Club Resort in accordance with the Resort Documents.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Using the split for 13 mo. rule

Did you do it right then? I thought they didn't even have the capability to do a reservation too early even if they wanted to.

No I didn't. While it was intriguing, and surprising, I really just wanted to use the lockoff in the spring and the 1 BR in the fall.

If I had wanted to rent two consecutive weeks using both parts of the unit, I would have been allowed to do so using the 13 month rule - - at least with that CSR. This occurred roughly two weeks ago.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are those definitions.

Quote:
1.29 Vacation Time Period shall mean a period of seven (7) consecutive days of time in a Unit available for use reservation by Club Members through the Club. Unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, use of the term Vacation Time Period used herein shall also include usage for Split Week Vacation Time Periods for normal (i.e., use of an entire Unit) or lock-off use, and usage for such other intervals (daily or otherwise) as Club Manager may from time to time permit in its sole discretion.

1.27 Timeshare Interest shall mean the legal right (by whatever means legally evidenced, e.g., deed, lease, license, contract, etc., and however defined, e.g., timeshare estate, timeshare license, or other ownership interest which is owned or otherwise acquired by a Club Member) which grants such Club Member the right to use accommodations and facilities at a Club Resort in accordance with the Resort Documents.

Thank you.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
No I didn't. While it was intriguing, and surprising, I really just wanted to use the lockoff in the spring and the 1 BR in the fall.

If I had wanted to rent two consecutive weeks using both parts of the unit, I would have been allowed to do so using the 13 month rule - - at least with that CSR. This occurred roughly two weeks ago.

I just didn't think the CSR could have done it prior to the 13-month release because of a system control in place to prevent it. They may have thought they could until they tried but who knows.