• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New User With Questions

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were looking for a specific TS, I'd rent there. And while I was there, I'd ask the manager if they had a list of owners who'd like to sell their week. Many do. Also check CraigsList for the area where you are interested in buying. Redweek has sales, but costs $15 to join. I haven't looked, but Timeshare forum, www.ts4ms.com I think has classifieds too.

But right now, I'd urge you to rent while keeping an eye out for just what you want. Patience, Grasshopper!

Jim

Reaction score
Right now, I am looking to see what I can find a the Grandview. I've stayed there a few times and enjoy it - so I would't mind owning there. If purchasing something on the resale market for that location looks like a long shot, then I would be open to looking elsewhere - but agree with the fact of renting there first. There's nothing worse than buying a timeshare in a place you've never been to and finding out it's crap once you get there!

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone for all of your help. I've used the information and have been researching all of my questions to get a better understanding of the market.

Besides EBay and this Forum, is there another reputable place to look for people selling their timeshares?

Yes, many! If looking for Wyndham go to Wyndham Forum. Red Week is highly rated. Plug time share resales in your browser or say "resort name or developer name" and time shares.

Generally you will find ebay and here lowest as sellers have recognized their TSs have little if any value. Most of the other sites have dreamers although many say make an offer.

I would be extra careful using craigslist. Lots of deals made there, but about half the responses I get to rental ads are scammers. Big article in Denver Post today about several people here getting scammed by people selling cars and having money wired to them and disappearing.

In any case insist on large reputable title company to hold the money. Red Week has a preferred provider. There have been posts here for discount no frills companies. Would have to do search to find or others will chime in.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Other resale sites...

<snip> Besides EBay and this Forum, is there another reputable place to look for people selling their timeshares?

Two other sites where you can find advertised resales are RedWeek.com and MyResortNetwork.com. In both instances, you can search by geographic area and / or by specific resort name to find available listings.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like RCI Points, and own several RCI Points timeshares, but the best use of RCI Points is to book stays at timeshares, not for RCI Points Partners (which is RCI's program for things such as airfare and car rentals.)

As Chriskre said, there are some timeshares that are a much better deal through RCI Points than through RCI Weeks.

I guess the biggest draw to the RCI points program for me is the fact that I can use the points for items like short stays and airfare - especially since I travel for my business often.

The problem is that RCI only lets you use 1/3rd of your points towards RCI Points Partners. I'll bet the timeshare salesman didn't tell you that part! (You can use a little more if you belong to RCI Platinum, but that costs an extra annual fee.)

Plus, RCI Points Partners has high fees every time you book airfare or a car rental, etc. Plus, RCI Points Partners' web interface is buggy as h*ll and RCI charges extra if you book your airfare (or whatever) over the phone, even if it's their fault that you can't book online.

Plus, RCI can and will further restrict RCI Points Partners whenever they feel like it.

Currently, RCI Points Partners gives 0.9 cents per point toward airfare, car rentals, etc., but there is also the cost of their fees. So, if you want an airline ticket costing $360, you will have to give RCI Points 40,000 of your points, plus their booking fee.

RCI Points Partners is an OK use of RCI Points that would otherwise expire, but you aren't going to break even booking something through RCI Points Partners unless your MF (annual maintenance fee) per RCI Point is 0.8 cents or less. Very few timeshares have MFs that low per point.

...Knowing that these timeshares are near worthless, why do they still try and sell ones (like a 1 BR at the Grandview) for $12K-15K? Are they just counting on stupid people...
Well, "stupid" is a strong word. But the timeshare developers are counting on uninformed people, at least.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The problem is that RCI only lets you use 1/3rd of your points towards RCI Points Partners. I'll bet the timeshare salesman didn't tell you that part! (You can use a little more if you belong to RCI Platinum, but that costs an extra annual fee.)

Yeah ... that part was left out during our conversation. If that's the case, then I would need a lot of points in order to do what I originally wanted to do with the points. Looks like my credit card points are much more valuable!

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
@ChrisKRE - If you don't mind me asking, how much was the unit itself? Feel free to email/PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

I don't mind sharing. I bought it from Sumday vacations on their website.
He sells on ebay too but I didn't want to have to bid and wait so I bought it from him for $199 all costs included. Maybe I could have gotten it on ebay for $1, not sure but I felt the $199 was worth knowing it was a sure thing.
It was stripped when I bought it but I bought it for a second RCI points account that wasn't blocked into Disney. ;)

Besides EBay and this Forum, is there another reputable place to look for people selling their timeshares?

Sumday vacations had some nice units at good prices.

Looks like my credit card points are much more valuable!

Yes those credit card churns go along way. I'm not a pro yet but have been hanging out on Flytertalk and that's the place to learn how to max those FF and hotel points. I haven't paid airfare for the last 2 years since I got the AA credit cards and I've got 2 more tickets coming to me again this year. :cheer:

I've also rarely paid a hotel room with all the Marriott rewards and Amex Worldpoints. I don't have status with anyone yet but with all the daily charging that I do it's enough to get me any hotel nights I need in cities that don't have timeshares. Is this a great country, or what? :D