• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai Airfare over Christmas

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to grab a Christmas week at the Kauai Beach Club tonight, but airfare is brutal! I do have a companion fare to burn, but there are three of us so I'm not sure if it's worth keeping the week. We're not able to head over earlier due to school, and I'm guessing there won't be any drop in airfare at this point... am I correct in assuming this?

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, airfare to HI is always brutal. Never been on a major holiday so I wont even try to guess, but im sure its extra brutal. Some on here use fare watch sites, Im sure they will chime in shortly. Good luck!

BTW, Im jealous, all I want for Christmas is to LIVE on Kauai! :)

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I was lucky enough to grab a Christmas week at the Kauai Beach Club tonight, but airfare is brutal! I do have a companion fare to burn, but there are three of us so I'm not sure if it's worth keeping the week. We're not able to head over earlier due to school, and I'm guessing there won't be any drop in airfare at this point... am I correct in assuming this?

Our past experiences suggest that your inference is correct.

lamb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Robert. I'd be surprised if airfares went lower for that in-demand week, particularly for 4 seats.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I hate to give up Kauai for Christmas, but I can't imagine spending $1500 per person on airfare.

Mauiwmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Kauai for our 25th anniversary in 2011 during Christmas & New Years. I monitored airfares the entire 11 months prior and they never moved down after the 7 month mark prior. They continued to move up in price right up until departure.

Our car rental was more expensive during this time as well. All the resorts are very crowded during this time.

We had a wonderful trip but I would never return to Hawaii over the holidays. Just not worth the additional costs and hassles for us.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Ugh, I hate to give up Kauai for Christmas, but I can't imagine spending $1500 per person on airfare.

That's extortionate, especially with a two-fer certificate.

Have you considered "saving" money by extending your trip? Airfares to/from Hawaii are often cheaper on weekdays; if you tack a couple of days on each end of your KBC stay, you may save more than the extra hotel cost.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score

Have you considered "saving" money by extending your trip? Airfares to/from Hawaii are often cheaper on weekdays; if you tack a couple of days on each end of your KBC stay, you may save more than the extra hotel cost.

Normally I would have just gone a couple of days earlier, but we're bound by work/school schedules this time around. It pained me to do so, but I had to let the week go tonight.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Not extortionate at all. They aren't putting a gun to someone's head and saying buy it or else.

The reality is that they can fill the plane at those prices with people paying that amount of their own free will. If someone doesn't want to pay that price there is someone else who is willing to do so. A lot of demand and a limited supply.

The flip side of that is that when they make that much money on those peak period flights they can be less aggressive on pricing during off-peak periods to fill the plane. Again, supply and demand.

susan6103

TUG Member
Reaction score
hawaii airfare

we had a unit booked in Kauai for the week right after Christmas 2013 but decided to give it up because of the ridiculous airfares.
instead we opted to go on a cruise to the Caribbean - worked out way cheaper even with airfare bundled in.

Last year we went to Big Island and Oahu right after Christmas.
i was not too keen on the weather during that period as it was very windy and cool. Its winter in Hawaii and i would never go back again during that time given the higher prices and cooler weather.

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Book your car rental now...and be prepared for shell shock! Book it, just in case you decide to go, because they sell out.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cancelled this trade within the 24 hour period because of the airfare. Looks like we will have to wait until May to get to Kauai.

Mauiwmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
May is a beautiful time to visit Kauai. Sorry the Christmas trip didn't work for you. I think you will enjoy your trip much more in May. Much less of a hassle and expense.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
May is a beautiful time to visit Kauai. Sorry the Christmas trip didn't work for you. I think you will enjoy your trip much more in May. Much less of a hassle and expense.

I do agree, but going in Dec and then going in May would have been ok by me too. :p

I do enjoy traveling off-peak and avoiding the crowds, and May does sound like a good time to go to Kauai especially (weather-wise).

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
May will be cheaper, the weather will most likely be better, and there will definitely be fewer people. Airfare is outrageous over the holidays, and simply high the rest of the year, with the exception of Spring Break when the airfare jumps back up over $1000 from the West Coast. (!)
Cars become hard to find, much less to afford over Christmas as well. Unless you are able to make your rental 10-12 months out.

I think you made the right decision.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Know how you feel, we have a week exchanged the first full week of April 2014 and are looking at other options because of the air fare of over 1200-1400 per person based on the airline.