• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Mayan Palace - Has anybody dealt with the 25 year renewal yet?

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked a copy of our Febr. 1999 (resale) original contract and it states:
"The initial maintenance fee is increased or decreased annually to reflect the U.S. inflation rate...and at company's discretion may be increased or decreased annually up to an additional 3% to reflect Mexican inflation greater or less than the U.S. rate."

Per my records, this has averaged out to 3% increase per year since we purchased in '02.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Just checked a copy of our Febr. 1999 (resale) original contract and it states:
"The initial maintenance fee is increased or decreased annually to reflect the U.S. inflation rate...and at company's discretion may be increased or decreased annually up to an additional 3% to reflect Mexican inflation greater or less than the U.S. rate."

Per my records, this has averaged out to 3% increase per year since we purchased in '02.

Our 1999 contract says 3% and our 2006 GM contract says 5%.

We have 3 weeks with the 3% and 3 weeks with the 5%. There may have been one year where there was no increase and then the year that no one had to pay unless they were making a reservation.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's why it's so hard to give up these older contracts for an upgrade...great low m/f, low cap on m/f increases, extra VF week, and very low transfer fee (one m/f). :D

Plus I have holiday weeks which are pretty rare to find on sale these days.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, Marco,

Mine isn't due until 2024 or so. At that time, I probably won't renew unless I find someone who wants to pay the 1 m/f transfer fee and take over the holiday week. (Oldest contract I've heard of is 1997, but I'm sure there are some older. May not be many or any renewing in 2014.)

Last edited:

saywhat

Reaction score
Hello Jo,

They really like to throw new names around, don't they? Here is what I think - but could be corrected.

Grupo Mayan used to be their corporate operating name. When they expanded, they changed the Corporate Operating name to Grupo Vidanta which it still is. However, the Grupo Mayan name hangs around and is used by most interchangeably.

I believe they recently invented a new name, Vida Vacations Club, that is a marketing name and web access to all the Resort properties. At one time, I was told that Grupo Mayan is a sub operating organization under Grupo Vidanta that oversees the lower level properties (Grand Mayan and below).

In reality, I don't think anything has changed. You still have the subcontracted sales people that do the high pressure sales for initial sales, and the member Services people who work for the company and administers the contracts. I also believe that the folks who do the Upgrade presentations do work for the company - but different people from the Member Services folks.

This is all logical conjecture on my part.

Mike

Its all the same they change the names to keep ahead of the negatives on the internet.

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Their advertising claims that this is their 40th year. There must have been some that have faced the 25 year renewal within that time frame. Perhaps they upgraded for less than the renewal.

rpennisi

Reaction score
The question I have is...Did they have 25 year renewals and contracts as such when they started 40 years ago, or was the business model different at the beginning?