• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New California Law? "adult pools"

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at the Oasis Resort in Palm Springs right now and this is our third stay here. We always enjoyed the beautiful grounds and were looking forward to the adult pool. When we checked in we found out that they on longer have an adult pool because it is against the law in California. :confused: We were told it discriminates against families even though there are 8 pools on the property. Has anyone heard of this? We have stayed at many resorts in the area and have never heard of such a thing.

Lynn

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Baloney - A law like that would not apply to private property.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score

Really?

I'll bet you also don't believe that the BLM can take a rancher's deeded property here in Texas as they are currently trying to do. Truth is Governments, Federal, State and Local can darn well do whatever they please.

George

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at the Oasis Resort in Palm Springs right now and this is our third stay here. We always enjoyed the beautiful grounds and were looking forward to the adult pool. When we checked in we found out that they on longer have an adult pool because it is against the law in California. :confused: We were told it discriminates against families even though there are 8 pools on the property. Has anyone heard of this? We have stayed at many resorts in the area and have never heard of such a thing.

Lynn
We just came back from there, Lynn, and decided not to stay there again. We much prefer Desert Breezes in Palm Desert.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently read that Worldmark would no longer have adults only swim hour. I haven't heard anything from my Grand Pacific resorts, but they both have adult only pools. I'll post in the future if they ever get rid of those. That would really take away from my ownership if they do.

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I recently read that Worldmark would no longer have adults only swim hour. I haven't heard anything from my Grand Pacific resorts, but they both have adult only pools. I'll post in the future if they ever get rid of those. That would really take away from my ownership if they do.

The same goes for me with Club Intrawest in Palm Desert. One of the reasons we love it there is the adult-only lap pool environment.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Marriott Desert Springs Villas has "quiet pools" vs adult pools. Occasionally there's a kid there, but for the most part, it's peaceful.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Really?

I'll bet you also don't believe that the BLM can take a rancher's deeded property here in Texas as they are currently trying to do. Truth is Governments, Federal, State and Local can darn well do whatever they please.

George

Unfortunately.

Still it's private property, so you would THINK the government would not dictate. But all it takes is one lawsuit.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Being a devil's advocate, the ADA law applies there, doesn't it?? The answer to that is generally yes (there are exceptions).

Timeshares are not private party. They rent units, and are considered public accommodations as far as the law goes.

Fern

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Lots of pools at California hotels and resorts have adult only pools. For example, I believe Westin Mission Hills still has an adult only pool, and that's just a few miles from Palm Springs.

Sent from my iPad

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
People! Did you not note that this is federal, not state? Its coming to all of our resorts.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I would wager that there will still be "quiet pools". That's a big factor in why we like larger resorts.

I guess with a "quiet pool" concept, there might be those that drag their kids in, allow them to annoy old(er) people like us with a "watcha gonna do about it" kind of attitude. Alternatively, people of that ilk are frequently more annoying than their children.

Interesting though.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
People! Did you not note that this is federal, not state? Its coming to all of our resorts.

Gophesjo! Did you not take note that it doesn't stipulate restrictions on noise or other limits? There will likely be ways to provide a quiet pool experience, which is what I suspect most people want when going to an adults only pool.

Sent from my iPad

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I would wager that there will still be "quiet pools". That's a big factor in why we like larger resorts.

I guess with a "quiet pool" concept, there might be those that drag their kids in, allow them to annoy old(er) people like us with a "watcha gonna do about it" kind of attitude. Alternatively, people of that ilk are frequently more annoying than their children.

Interesting though.

Exactly!

Sent from my iPad

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
The same goes for me with Club Intrawest in Palm Desert. One of the reasons we love it there is the adult-only lap pool environment.

My experience is that the adult pools are too warm for real lap swimming. Lap pools should be about 82 degrees. Any hotter and a swimmer would overheat. The "lap pool" might be large and rectangular but rarely is it an actual lap pool, unfortunately. Usually it's more suitable for aqua aerobic(arthritis foundation wants the pool around 85-90 or so degrees) or just lounging, not lap swimming. Children should usually swim in water on the warmer side, particularly young children (under 5).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The last couple of times in Palm Desert we have stayed at the Marriott Villas 1 and Westin Mission Hills. DSV1 had an adult pool and a quiet pool and I believe the Westin just had a quiet pool. Anyway it has quieted down here now after last weekend but the units are really in need of updating. Old tube TV's.

Elli we also like Desert Breezes. Will be back at the Marriott in Nov so we'll see what happens there.

Lynn

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did, Ken, and agree with you that there are ways around the issue. I was only trying to point out that this is not just a California law, but is rather a federal law that will need to be dealt with by all of our resorts that seek to isolate adults from noisy and splashy kids and teens.

Gophesjo! Did you not take note that it doesn't stipulate restrictions on noise or other limits? There will likely be ways to provide a quiet pool experience, which is what I suspect most people want when going to an adults only pool.

Sent from my iPad

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think you are wrong Denise

Worldmark is changing their pool rules to comply too. Worldmark always had 2 hours a day set aside for adults only. No more. and the reason given for the rules change is the same as what the op says at their resort.

Last edited:

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
My experience is that the adult pools are too warm for real lap swimming. Lap pools should be about 82 degrees. Any hotter and a swimmer would overheat. The "lap pool" might be large and rectangular but rarely is it an actual lap pool, unfortunately.

LOL - I don't actually swim laps (or much at all)- I just like the atmosphere at this one particular pool because of what's around it. It's the fact that it's adults-only that appeals to me, not that it's a lap pool. I'm sure swimmers (as opposed to those of us who just hang out at the pool and dip in every once in a while to cool off) know whether it's a real lap pool.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last couple of times in Palm Desert we have stayed at the Marriott Villas 1 and Westin Mission Hills. DSV1 had an adult pool and a quiet pool and I believe the Westin just had a quiet pool. Anyway it has quieted down here now after last weekend but the units are really in need of updating. Old tube TV's.

Elli we also like Desert Breezes. Will be back at the Marriott in Nov so we'll see what happens there.

Lynn
You are so right, Lynn, about that resort needing some upgrading. Plus no safe in the unit, no hand lotion or shampoo in the bathroom, hardly any dishwasher detergent, etc. We are still so used seeing these items in other resorts, we don't always think about bringing our own stuff.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our HOA in Vegas has three pools. An adult pool, a family pool and a kiddie pool. All in different areas of the HOA.

Surprisingly, the family pool is the least busy of the two larger pools. So, if I am in a huff and don't want to visit with other old farts, then I go to the family pool and am usually the only one, all by myself. ;):p:eek:

Though there are lots of times when I do feel social, so I go hang out with the other golden oldies! :D :)

OTOH, in our HOA in CA, we only have one pool so lots of times there are kids there, but on the weekdays, it is usually quite.

My dream is to perhaps someday have our own backyard pool in Vegas, but for now that's just a dream. :)

Last edited:

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
sure it will if it was authorized by state or fed. statute(for example here the fair housing act, and the only reason senior-only pools are exempt is because of HOPA enacted in 1995)

For example, during the segregation days, the private establishments that didnt want to serve blacks would say its private property. Well Title II of the civil rights act of 1964 sure took care of that argument.

Last edited:

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really?

George
BLM manages federally owned land, land held for the public.

Btw, if it was true that the state or fed. wanted to take his, yours, or my deeded private property they can. Its called eminent domain, and they are required to pay fair market value for it. That is constitutional.

Last edited: