• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resorts with pools that are good for swimming lengths

Novagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All, Wondering if there is a thread somewhere specifically on resorts that have pools that are good for swimming lengths (i.e., with lane lines, sufficient size, appropriate shape). I suspect there are lots of swimmers in our midst and many have pool preferences similar to my own. Leisure pools are great for most of the day, but if you are trying to get in a workout, they can drive a swimmer crazy.

If a thread does not exist, perhaps folks could post the info here.

Useful data would include: length if you know it, number of lanes, whether the lines / "T" are marked (on the bottom).

Thanks

Pam´¯`•.¸ .•´¯`•.><((((º>

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Hi All, Wondering if there is a thread somewhere specifically on resorts that have pools that are good for swimming lengths (i.e., with lane lines, sufficient size, appropriate shape). I suspect there are lots of swimmers in our midst and many have pool preferences similar to my own. Leisure pools are great for most of the day, but if you are trying to get in a workout, they can drive a swimmer crazy.

If a thread does not exist, perhaps folks could post the info here.

Useful data would include: length if you know it, number of lanes, whether the lines / "T" are marked (on the bottom).

Thanks

Pam´¯`•.¸ .•´¯`•.><((((º>

Aloha,
I'm a lap swimmer during most of the year. In Hawaii, I swim pretty far out in the ocean hunting for some of the spots where I see snorkel boats drop anchor, so a good pool is less important. The only timeshare we have stayed at that fits your description is the indoor pool at the (Worldmark) Running Y in Klamath Falls, Oregon.
Jack

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Pelican in St. Maarten has 5 pools, 2 of which are Olympic size. Have never seen more than a few people in any of them.

geekette

Reaction score
Most of the indoor pools at Silverleaf resorts are around 20 yds. Not really 'lap pools' as there are no lane markers, but some do have the lines on the bottom. Usually no flags for backstroke but the ladders are good enuf markers.

Offseason, I've always been able to show up and do laps. At busier times, it's a matter of going as soon as it opens, or later in the evening.

Diane

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Wyndham Pagosa Springs in Pagosa Springs, CO has an olympic size indoor pool and will take reservations in advance for lap swimming so you are sure to have a lane when you arrive.

Lawrence Welk in Escondido, CA has a separate outdoor pool for lap swimming only. It is not olympic size and when we were there I usually had a somewhat larger recreational pool all to myself so I never used the lap pool.

Whiski Jack Town Plaza Suites states that there is a municipal recreation center with a couple of pools less than three miles away, which is true. However, all lanes but one in what would have been a nice lap pool were devoted to recreational swimming, in addition to another pool devoted solely to recreational swimming, so Whiski Jack has a pretty unsatisfactory arrangement for lap swimmers.

Of course, even if lap swimming is not available, it is usually possible to tread water using various leg movements and both arms in the deep end of a recreational pool and still get a pretty good workout in water.

Diane

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
Grand Pacific Palisades in Carlsbad, CA has great adult only pool

Check out GPP in Carlsbad, CA. The adult only pool (family pool has the mini water park/water play thing next to it) so be sure to specify if you want to call the resort. We own there and have stayed there. I read a post that said it was Olympic sized. We live in one of those crazy swim team areas and it looks to me to be 25 yards and 6 lanes-which is the swim team standard around here. (Although maybe it only has 5 lanes-but it does have a nice fire pit and jacuzzi next to it.)

Anne S

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Pelican in St. Maarten has 5 pools, 2 of which are Olympic size. Have never seen more than a few people in any of them.

The term "Olympic size" is bandied about with abandon by timeshare- and real estate salespeople, but as with most of what they say, it is a lie. The dimensions of an Olympic pool are required to be 50 meters by 25 meters, or it should not be called Olympic size. It is highly unusual for resorts to have an Olympic size pool.

A few years ago we exchanged to Eagle Crest in Redmond, Oregon, which has a fitness center with a sizeable outdoor lap pool. I don't recall the dimensions, but the length seemed comparable to my local YMCA pool, which is 25 yards long. I had the pool all to myself in the mornings.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While it doesn't focus on resorts, this website is simply an amazing resource for traveling swimmers looking for a place to get in their swim.

http://www.swimmersguide.com/

Click the FIND A POOL link.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
I prefer short pools cuz it makes swimming lengths quicker and easier. :D

Novagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

Yah! Appreciate all the reponses. Will summarize the suggestions and add them as a list to my initial post for ease of reference (after a few more days).

Pam

marijalas

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Virginia pool

We stayed at Massunutten in Virginia, don't have numbers, but they have lap lanes. Nice pool

JohnnyO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Pacific Palisades, Carlsbad, CA (adult pool only - kids allowed on weekend afternoons summer season)

Carlsbad Seapointe Resort, Carlsbad, CA (adult pool only - kids allowed on weekend afternoons summer season)

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's Ocean Pointe has a large pool with a couple marked lanes in the middle. There are times set aside for lap swimmers. Then there's always lots of space if you want to swim laps at night under the stars with the breeze rustling in the palms.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Orange Lake in orlando has a true Olympic size pool.

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Anne S.,

I agree that many terms in life are misused. The Pelican does indeed have two regulation Olympic sized pools. The biggest is the one by the B buildings which has a connecting water path under as walkway/bridge to an adult only pool with in water pool bar. That adult pool alone must be 75 feet square. Largest pools I have ever encountered in a few dozen caribbean trips. Must give honorable mention to the Oasis in Cancun but the entire few hundred foot long pool is often partially closed.

Basically, Mark Spitz would be happy there :D

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pools we've seen that are at least rectangular, and long enough to get in a respectable lap.

Shawnee's indoor pool (in the Poconos, Pennsylvania)--two "lumps," one side for the kids and one side a big rectangle. Don't know about their outdoor pools but they look large, too.

King's Creek (in Williamsburg)--the indoor pool has a similar set-up to the pool at Shawnee, two large rectangles. One side a zero-entry walk-in for children and dabblers, the other side suitable for laps.

and surprisingly--

Quail Hollow Village (also in the Poconos)--we just got back from a visit here and the indoor pool is a long, thin rectangle, okay for laps.

Just happened on this pic of the pool at Brewster Green in Cape Cod. If you click on the top picture, you can see the strange-shaped pool--it looks like they created one lane for laps.

http://www.brewstergreenresort.com/facilities.htm

Hope this helps. I can't swim, but the rest of my family does!

Last edited: