• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

U.S. Passport price increase!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you need a new- or renewed passport anytime soon, sooner might be better than later. Or at least cheaper.

Beginning July 13th, prices will increase. Here's more info:

Passport fees going up steeply in mid-July

If you need a U.S. passport, get one soon before fees increase steeply July 13.

By Kristin R. Jackson

Seattle Times travel writer

If you need a U.S. passport, get one soon before fees increase steeply in mid-July.

The cost for a first-time passport for an adult (age 16 and older) will increase to $135, up from the current $100, on July 13. A renewal for an adult passport will be $110, up from $75. A first-time passport or renewal for a minor (younger than 16) will be $105, up from $85.

The U.S. State Department noted the price increase on its website this week. The prices include an "acceptance fee," payable to facilities where passport applications are taken.

Travelers who need extra pages in their passports to accommodate more visas/stamps will pay $82 starting July 13. That service has been free.

The fee also is increasing for a passport card, a more limited form of federally-issued identification that can be used for land/sea travel between the U.S. and Mexico, Canada and a few other Western Hemisphere countries. A first-time passport card for an adult will cost $55 (up from $45). A renewal will be $30 (up from $20). For a minor, a passport card (first-time and renewal) is $40 (up from $35). The passport card is not valid for international air travel.

To get information on applying for a passport, formally called a "passport book," and to download application forms, see www.travel.state.govor phone 877-487-2778 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 877-487-2778 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Adult passports and passport cards are valid for 10 years, five years for minors.

First-time applicants and those younger than 16 must apply in person at an acceptance facility, which includes post offices, libraries and certain government offices. Find passport-acceptance facilities by ZIP code at iafdb.travel.state.gov/

Renewals for most adults can be done by mail.

Kristin Jackson: kjackson@seattletimes.com

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Thanks for posting this!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an addendum, and personal rant, $82 for extra pages for visas is unjust, uncalled for and plain highway robbery! It wouldn't cost $.02 to add 10 more pages (5- 1/2 sheets of 8 1/2x11 paper) to every new passport from the get-go! BAAAH! JR

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Jim.

I had seen this today online and I guess it will motivate me to finally go get a new passport (mine expired a decade or so ago) prior to the 13th.

Which I guess means I can now go see my inlaws in Canada, eh!? :D :eek: ;)

teachingmyown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Jim.

I had seen this today online and I guess it will motivate me to finally go get a new passport (mine expired a decade or so ago) prior to the 13th.

Which I guess means I can now go see my inlaws in Canada, eh!? :D :eek: ;)

Probably a rookie question, but if you had one at one time but it has expired will you need a "new" one or a "re-newed" one? I ask because this is our situation as well. :shrug:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably a rookie question, but if you had one at one time but it has expired will you need a "new" one or a "re-newed" one? I ask because this is our situation as well. :shrug:

There are no dumb questions. You need a new passport. Get thee off to the post office with pictures in hand before the 13th and save $70 a couple. Walgreens and other drug stores will do the passport photos cheaper than the post office.... JR

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
There are no dumb questions. You need a new passport. Get thee off to the post office with pictures in hand before the 13th and save $70 a couple. Walgreens and other drug stores will do the passport photos cheaper than the post office.... JR

And if you're a Plus Member of the American Automobile Association (AAA), they'll do your passport photo's free.

Richard

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Under the wire

Just got a total of 5 last month. (Four grandkids, one daughter name change). Didn't know I would be saving a bundle.;)

I wonder of the Passport cards will see a similar increase.:confused:

Cheers

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder of the Passport cards will see a similar increase.

Yup. Up $10 for adults and $5 each for minors- and still are not good for air travel. See my post #1. JR

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if you're a Plus Member of the American Automobile Association (AAA), they'll do your passport photo's free.

Richard

Hardly worth the ~$100 annual membership fee. Pay me $100/yr and I'll come to your house and take your passport renewal photo every 10 years. "Free". JR

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Yup. Up $10 for adults and $5 each for minors- and still are not good for air travel. See my post #1. JR

Duh! Reminding myself to read everything before engaging keyboard.:doh:

Cheers

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
As an addendum, and personal rant, $82 for extra pages for visas is unjust, uncalled for and plain highway robbery! It wouldn't cost $.02 to add 10 more pages (5- 1/2 sheets of 8 1/2x11 paper) to every new passport from the get-go! BAAAH! JR

From the article I read, part of the cost that they are trying to account for in the passport fees is the cost of providing services for those travelers while they are overseas (consulate / embacy services, other government-provided travel services, etc.). So even though the pages don't cost much of anything, they are charging a person that travels more often an additional amount to help pay for the travel services provided by the government.

When you look at it that way, it does make sense to charge for additional visa stamp space (even if you don't agree with being charged that extra fee).

Kurt

teachingmyown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Thanks to my WONDERFUL Tug family, we saved $90! Getting new passports was on our "get around to" list to be done sometime during 2010 but I had no idea the price was changing until I read it here. Of course, we spent 2 hours in line at the Post Office Saturday in order to save it, but at least it's done. Now we can take advantage of these insane cruise deals being offered and maybe even take a trip to Peru to meet our future dil's dad. :)

vettebuf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Arghhh!

I just read the first post and sent the out of date news to my friends.

I wonder if the Dept. of State would take my suggestion of allowing citizens to buy in for longer terms for less money?
For example, $135 for 10 years, $200 for 20 years, $270 for 30 years, etc. Grandparents could gift their grands with 50 year passports.