• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is This MOC Exchange Scenario Realistic?

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We own two annual one bedrooms at the Maui Ocean Club (old section). We have been to Maui four of the last five years, including July this summer (via the timeshares we purchased last year and renting the other years). We are thinking about exchanging our 2009 weeks just to try something different (and also due to the $1,000 plane fares we got stuck with after our ATA tickets became worthless for this July). However, we don't want to have unrealistic expectations about what we can get in exhange, and become disappointed that we have given up our two weeks in Maui. I just recently joined II. We are a family of three so any studio or 1BR would be fine in all cases. The Spring and Fall weeks are pretty much locked in because of my child's school breaks. Would this scenario be realistic?

* Reserve both Maui weeks for 4th of July weekend 2009 using 13th month (would this be the strongest trading week?).

* Depost both weeks with II when ACs are offered.

* Use one AC for a week within driving distance of Phoenix, including Phoenix itself, Sedona, Palm Springs, Las Vegas or Southern Cal during the week of October 3 - 12, 2008.

* Trade one deposited week for a DVC Orlando during the week of March 13 - 22, 2009 (this is the most important trade that we would hope would be fair for our Maui week).

* Trade the other deposited week and the other AC for back to back weeks in Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe any time during June or July, 2009.

I would appreciate any feedback on this scenario, or any other advice, from experienced II exhangers. Thanks in advance.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Personally, I would never trade a one bedroom at Maui for a studio even if your family would be fine in it. I think, you are setting your trade value too low. My friends reserved their Maui one bedroom and got a week at Waiohai in Kauai with no problems.

The only issue I see in your situation is trying to trade to Orlando March 2009. By time you do your deposit with your Maui Marriott week in June/July it might be too late as spring breaks weeks are popular. I'm not a 100% sure on this so maybe somebody with more Orlando experience can make a suggestion. When I look in II I only see 3 Marriotts available for that timeframe and no DVC resorts. Also, don't underestimate the money it takes to fly to Orlando. Holiday weeks are definitely expensive and can cost as much as going to Hawaii.

Another option is to consider renting one of your weeks and then, using a II getaway week for your driving vacation. This way you'll definitely make money. October is a low trade season for the desert so, I don't think that is an even trade unless use your AC for the trade. Also, then, use the money to rent a DVC. DVCs are very popular during Spring break time so, you might not find very many deposits.

I know, people think, I'm crazy but I usually have a 3 year vacation plan so, I can plan for trades. Otherwise, if you wait until the year before you might not have your week available for exchange. I would have put in my request for trade at least 13 months from the check-in date. So, this really does require planning. To date I've gotten all my trades through II but I definitely plan it out. We vacation mostly during school holidays too.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think everything you have listed is realistic except maybe DVC. You may have to settle for a 2BR at beautiful Marriott's Cypress Harbour. :)

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would never trade a one bedroom at Maui for a studio even if your family would be fine in it. I think, you are setting your trade value too low. My friends reserved their Maui one bedroom and got a week at Waiohai in Kauai with no problems.

The only issue I see in your situation is trying to trade to Orlando March 2009. By time you do your deposit with your Maui Marriott week in June/July it might be too late as spring breaks weeks are popular. I'm not a 100% sure on this so maybe somebody with more Orlando experience can make a suggestion. When I look in II I only see 3 Marriotts available for that timeframe and no DVC resorts. Also, don't underestimate the money it takes to fly to Orlando. Holiday weeks are definitely expensive and can cost as much as going to Hawaii.

Another option is to consider renting one of your weeks and then, using a II getaway week for your driving vacation. This way you'll definitely make money. October is a low trade season for the desert so, I don't think that is an even trade unless use your AC for the trade. Also, then, use the money to rent a DVC. DVCs are very popular during Spring break time so, you might not find very many deposits.

I know, people think, I'm crazy but I usually have a 3 year vacation plan so, I can plan for trades. Otherwise, if you wait until the year before you might not have your week available for exchange. I would have put in my request for trade at least 13 months from the check-in date. So, this really does require planning. To date I've gotten all my trades through II but I definitely plan it out. We vacation mostly during school holidays too.

Would I have a better chance getting the DVC if I did a Request First instead of depositing? I realize I would not get an AC. Also, where is the best place to try to rent my week? Thanks

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Would I have a better chance getting the DVC if I did a Request First instead of depositing? I realize I would not get an AC. ..... Thanks

NO.
When all things else are equal, II gives a slight advantage to a week using deposit first verses a week using request first. If you know that you are not going to use or rent your week, go ahead and deposit it as soon as AC is offered.

tedders

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Aloha, MauiLover: (great name, by the way!)

Please please PLEASE reserve and deposit at least ONE of your 2009 4th of July weeks! I'm waiting to be confirmed for an II exchange for July 2009! I, like you, own at MOC, and have always used my week for the last several years. We deposited our 4th of July 2008 week (going on an Alaskan cruise this year), and am trying to exchange back to my home resort next year for back-to-back weeks. You'd be doing me a HUGE favor!! (-:

Mahalo,

sbmauilover

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha, MauiLover: (great name, by the way!)

Please please PLEASE reserve and deposit at least ONE of your 2009 4th of July weeks! I'm waiting to be confirmed for an II exchange for July 2009! I, like you, own at MOC, and have always used my week for the last several years. We deposited our 4th of July 2008 week (going on an Alaskan cruise this year), and am trying to exchange back to my home resort next year for back-to-back weeks. You'd be doing me a HUGE favor!! (-:

Mahalo,

sbmauilover

I am pretty sure that I will be depositing at least one of my 2009 weeks, and I do plan to make the reservations for the July 4th week. Good luck.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
My friends reserved their Maui one bedroom and got a week at Waiohai in Kauai with no problems.

So that must have been the 1 bedroom suite at MOC. Was it off season at Waiohai, prime at MOC, or is it purely a matter of luck of the draw? What can you get with the 1 bedroom lockoff?

oldkey

Reaction score
If it were me.....

....I would split a two bedroom into two units and book President's week. Take the $3,500+ per two bedroom and go anywhere you want. I own MOC and DVC and in both cases always get the best value by renting my unit then taking the cash to rent somewhere else. Personally I don't think it's any more work than playing the II trading game.
IMHO

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
So that must have been the 1 bedroom suite at MOC. Was it off season at Waiohai, prime at MOC, or is it purely a matter of luck of the draw? What can you get with the 1 bedroom lockoff?

I'm not sure what week they reserved at MOC but they did get an August week at Waiohai. They own in the old section.

My aunt also owns there too and she just got confirmed for at the Paris Marriott for August 2008, too.

I think, you can get good trades if you put your request in early enough.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem with DVC is that if it's Easter DVC doesn't deposit it. Easter is in April in 2009 so I'd say the chances of getting a 1 BR at any DVC resort (if you include them all) would be fairly high for that week given your scenario. Other years it might be somewhat less.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why don't you go to the direct exchange classifieds and email all the DVC owners to see if anyone is interested in doing a direct exchange (I don't mean the ads with paragraphs - go to the list for all DVC owners, write one email, and blind copy to all the DVC owners.) I would think you could find someone who would want to exchange to MOC for a March DVC week. Your other trades could be done with a weaker exchange week, so you should get what you are looking for. The only issue is getting the exhange requests in on time to have the trade come through. Good luck!!

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why don't you and SBMauilover work out a private exchange thing? There also is a Marriott owner only exchange company (that name escapes me) :eek: that you can request specific Marriott places/weeks and then deal personally with another Marriott owner. The company charged very low fee. Maybe another Tugger can come up with that name. I had used them 3 times with success.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
* Trade the other deposited week and the other AC for back to back weeks in Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe any time during June or July, 2009.

ACs (at least on the grid I see) don't work for Las Vegas June or July. They would work for Lake Tahoe in June, then you could use your deposited week to get Las Vegas for your second week. Las Vegas is a very easy trade - there are many weeks sitting online now for this summer. There is not much for next summer yet, but it's not a year out, so nice weeks should show up this summer for next summer.