• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Roaring Controversy Over Navy Jets on Central Whidbey Island

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Roaring Controversy Over Navy Jets on Central Whidbey Island - by Nancy Bartley/ Seattle Times Staff Reporter/ Local News/ The Seattle Times.com

The Navy recently notified Whidbey Island residents that training flights will resume, following many months of noise complaints and a moratorium.

thumb_navairG9%20(3).JPG

220px-Boeing_EA-18G_Growler_in_Afterburner_Taking_Off_from_Naval_Outlying_Field_Coupeville.JPG
- An EA-18G Growler of VAQ-129 "Vikings" takes off in afterburner from OLF Coupeville air field.

Richard

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
The best comment.

“I know it sounds harsh,’’ said commissioner Johnson, “but people make choices when you buy property ... This is a buyer-beware state. If you get view property for $250,000, you should ask questions.’’

Cheers

Reaction score
That's like a family buying a home next to an airport, who then complains the jets are too loud. Or, buys a home near a waste water treatment plant, and complains of the smell. Or buys a home where the foundation is 6 inches above sea level, and complains when a major rain storm causes the home to flood.

The last one (flood) is not too far from our home. Our home is about 4 feet over sea level, but nearer to Lake Monroe (Sanford FL) is a neighborhood called "Stone Island". There are some nice homes, but since the homes are between 6" to 1' above sea level, storms like the 2004 hurricane "trifecta" left most of the homes flooded. Once the flooding subsided, they all had Flood Insurance, and their homes were repaired. There are no plans for flood protection. So, if a person buys a home in that area, they will be flooded if Lake Monroe rises over 6 inches.

TS

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have this same problem in Virginia Beach. The Navy was here first in the early 1950's and local & national developers decided to build communities near the air base.

Sorry folks the Navy was here first.

These are the sound of freedom.

Last edited:

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here in NC, Also outside each air base there is a sign. It says "Pardon our noise, it's the sound of freedom". I lived 4 years on an air base very close to the runway, after a while, we didn't even notice the sound anymore. :deadhorse:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I grew up mostly around here, and I used to be stationed at NAS Whidbey. I can attest to the noise of the jets flying around the island. It happens. Now I live east of the island, over on the mainland, but I'm still indirectly under the flight path, even though I'm a lot further away. I hear jets from time to time, but nowhere near as badly as I did when I lived on the island. It's a non-issue for me. People just have to get over it. The jets aren't going away, and they're training so they can save our collective bacon if need be.

I have the most issue with people who move to places like Whidbey because it's so scenic and affordable, then bellyache when it's different than they expected it to be.

Example: When I lived in the San Juans on Orcas Island (not very far from Whidbey Island) I got a major kick laughing at all the out-of-staters who came from elsewhere, bought property on a whim, and clear-cut the timber to help pay to build a McMansion surrounded by a huge fence. They paved everything, and put up a super-manicured, overly-landscaped yard. Then the first Winter, after they got windburn from the Northeasters blowing over the island past where all the trees used to be, and when the pavement grew all sorts of moss and slimy muck that made it slippery as ice, and they screamed bloody murder in the Spring when the deer ate their rosebushes and bit the heads off their daffodils and tulips, only to spit them out because they're bitter...

These people would stand and tell everyone who'd listen about their terrible dilemma, complaining how they'd spent all this money, and that the islands were losing their appeal because of all the outsiders moving in. And then they'd ask why there wasn't a McDonald's on the island. :rolleyes:

Life happens. Deal with it.

Dave

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Growing up, I would hear how people brought an acre lot next to a pasture or farm field, then would complain about natural fertilizer or cow poop.

And the farmer would be knocking on their door, asking them to keep the kids from riding his livestock or chasing the animals once -- farmers the second time would send the sheriff to explain these animals were expensive and NOT anyone's pet.

So many people live in a very strange place call "My World" ..

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lived in Seattle, Bothell, Mercer Island area since I decided that I needed to pursue DW so she could be my DW. Strangely enough July 2012 was the first time I watched the Blue Angels and I photographed for hours. Many of those were posted on TUG. Grew up next to McChord Air Force base less than 3 miles NE of base. Moved to Anacortes this past July and I have a next door neighbor who is a fighter pilot stationed at Whidbey. Next door neighbor, who I swear is a beautiful 12 year old red headed girl, is a flight surgeon stationed at Whidbey.

The Sound of Freedom is a beautiful sound!

Last edited:

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Amen to all!

we lived in Yellow Springs, Ohio, a small town dedicated to Freedom of Speech and Lifestyles , home of Antioch College, etc and who protested every time they could about government, military, etc. Regular protest parades in front of Wright -Patterson AFB, too.

It is near a National Guard air base and every weekend they would be training there. The flights would be coming over the town and such complaining!

We never understood that they would not recognize that their Freedoms of Speech, Lifestyles, and Freedom to March were given to them by those very freedom flyers!

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We never understood that they would not recognize that their Freedoms of Speech, Lifestyles, and Freedom to March were given to them by those very freedom flyers!

Respectfully, no.

You can certainly say the military has historically had a role, even a large role, in protecting those freedoms.

But the freedoms and rights we all enjoy were given to us by the constitution and the bill of rights, both of which were written by, passed by, and are regularly upheld by, regular American citizens, be they framers of the constitution, our elected representatives, the courts, lawyers, law enforcement officials and regular Americans.

To say such freedoms were given to anyone by the military overlooks the role of regular citizens in coming up with them and protecting them every day.

It's an important distinction, because we all have a role to play in our democracy, and we should not forget it.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Respectfully, no.

You can certainly say the military has historically had a role, even a large role, in protecting those freedoms.

But the freedoms and rights we all enjoy were given to us by the constitution and the bill of rights, both of which were written by, passed by, and are regularly upheld by, regular American citizens, be they framers of the constitution, our elected representatives, the courts, lawyers, law enforcement officials and regular Americans.

To say such freedoms were given to anyone by the military overlooks the role of regular citizens in coming up with them and protecting them every day.

It's an important distinction, because we all have a role to play in our democracy, and we should not forget it.

I certainly meant no disrespect to the framers of the constitution nor to our country' s forefathers . Nor to all the voters throughout the years. Nor to all our elected officials throughout the years whom have helped our citizens .

I thought I was just agreeing with other posters and sharing our experience in a very small town ( actually called officially a "village" ) and still
one of the most progressive through the years, especially regarding race relations .

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't think you did, Joan, and that's why I started out by saying respectfully.

As important as our military is, I think our citizens and the roles they have played, and continue to play, in maintaining our democracy are more important. I think we shouldn't lose sight of that.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I didn't think you did, Joan, and that's why I started out by saying respectfully.

As important as our military is, I think our citizens and the roles they have played, and continue to play, in maintaining our democracy are more important. I think we shouldn't lose sight of that.

How can you lose sight of that fact? Every time I think of our wonderful (NOT) politicians, I am reminded how we elected them? But, this could digress into a political discussion very easy and that's not what this thread is about.

The fact remains that Whidby has been in existence since 1942 so IMO anyone moving to that area now and complaining about the noise is crazy. It's probably that "entitlement" attitude that seems prevelant now. But that's probably just my 34 years of military service speaking.