• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Exchange Fees

SandyJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you pay RCI the exchange fee when you deposit or when you book?

I understand you can combine several weeks or deposit credits by paying a fee if you need more TPU to book what you want, so I'm wondering do you pay a fee for each week you deposit then an additional combination fee?

Thanks!

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Depositing is always free -- they're glad to get the week from you.

The exchange fee is when you spend your TP points to reserve into an exchange property. Another thread notes there's a price increase coming January 1 2014.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Do you pay RCI the exchange fee when you deposit or when you book?

I understand you can combine several weeks or deposit credits by paying a fee if you need more TPU to book what you want, so I'm wondering do you pay a fee for each week you deposit then an additional combination fee?

Thanks!

The fee is paid when you accept an exchange. As RCI is famous for telling everyone, "Depositing is free!" It's when you go to USE that deposit that you pay. You also pay to combine to get more TPU. Make note that the combined amount has a 24 month expiration date, even if one of the deposits used in the combination had a longer expiry date. (I learned that the hard way - I lost a year's possible use because of that fact.) So logically, the best time to combine is when deposts are about to expire.

Dave

SandyJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info!

Also I read somewhere that you had to own an RCI resort to get an account with RCI?

Does that just mean a resort affiliated with RCI or does that mean an actual RCI resort?

Does RCI actually have resorts?

I am in the process of closing on a Christmas Village UDI and am very excited to learn all there is to learn to get the most out of my acquisition!

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you buying resale? If not Stop before you sign the contract. You will get a lot of replies about buying resale.

SandyJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually I'm acquiring from the hoa. Just paying $250 transfer fee and the last yr (2015) special assessment in the amt of $1032. But that won't be due till jan 2015. Right now it's just the $250.

I've read tug enough to know not to buy from developer! Thanks tug!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The fee is paid when you accept an exchange.

Dave

Huh? I've always paid a fee when I've put in an ongoing exchange request, not when I accept the exchange.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Huh? I've always paid a fee when I've put in an ongoing exchange request, not when I accept the exchange.

It's apples and other apples. If you just accept an exchange from the open availability without doing an Ongoing Search, you pay the Exchange Fee then. it all works out the same in the end.

Dave

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score

There is usually a fee to initiate an ongoing search, but the original question (and subsequent responses) addressed whether there is a fee to deposit a unit. There is not. There is a fee to book an exchange and usually to start an ongoing search.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thank you for the info!

Also I read somewhere that you had to own an RCI resort to get an account with RCI?

Does that just mean a resort affiliated with RCI or does that mean an actual RCI resort?

Does RCI actually have resorts?

I am in the process of closing on a Christmas Village UDI and am very excited to learn all there is to learn to get the most out of my acquisition!

Resorts affiliate with exchange companies, most often RCI and/or Interval International (II.) What you need to join RCI is ownership into an RCI affiliated resort. So if you go forward with the deal you've described, you'll have what it takes. RCI doesn't own anything, but they don't need to. Wyndham owns and/or manages a lot of resorts, and they own RCI. It's a big conglomerated mess. :)

Dave

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Slight hijack. I put in an ongoing search the other day and it said my prior payment for a search would cover this search. With prices going up, will the previous $199 paid cover an exchange? Or, will I be billed another $20 if it gets a match?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
There is usually a fee to initiate an ongoing search, but the original question (and subsequent responses) addressed whether there is a fee to deposit a unit. There is not. There is a fee to book an exchange and usually to start an ongoing search.

Yes, I know this. My response was in reply to Dave's comment that you pay when you accept an exchange. My point, for the benefit of the OP, was that you also pay a fee when you initiate an on going exchange.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
It's apples and other apples. If you just accept an exchange from the open availability without doing an Ongoing Search, you pay the Exchange Fee then. it all works out the same in the end.

Dave

Kind of, sort of.

If you accept an exchange from open availability, you have it right away.

If you use ongoing search, RCI can tie up your money for months, or longer.

Just wanted the OP to know that if they do use ongoing search, even though they don't have an exchange yet, they will still pay the fee.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Slight hijack. I put in an ongoing search the other day and it said my prior payment for a search would cover this search. With prices going up, will the previous $199 paid cover an exchange? Or, will I be billed another $20 if it gets a match?

My guess is that everything matched after Jan 1 will require the higher fee. So the first one, you will have a charge of $10 and each additional match will cost the full $209 online exchange fee.

I guess we will have to wait for the first report from 2014.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Kind of, sort of.

If you accept an exchange from open availability, you have it right away.

If you use ongoing search, RCI can tie up your money for months, or longer.

Just wanted the OP to know that if they do use ongoing search, even though they don't have an exchange yet, they will still pay the fee.

I agree. RCI has some weird ways it does things. I had an Ongoing Search that was free to start, but the Exchange Fee was due once they matched my search criteria. After a year, they didn't find what I wanted, so I cancelled the search. No harm, no foul.

Dave