• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Favorite booking trick?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I was curious if TUGgers had developed a favorite booking trick, or alternative usage for the system. I have a few and curious about others.

These are some of my favorites:

1) Book a reservation with DC Points 13 months out and then try to replace the DC Point reservation with an II trade - if I get the trade, I then cancel my Point reservation and restore the points. Example: I've booked Grande Ocean for Spring Break 2015 with DC Points, and am trying to trade in with a Worldmark week -- maybe I'll get it 60-75 days before check-in -- freeing up 2,250 points due to a WM week that isn't very valuable. I've successfully done this a couple times where I hold a MOC reservation with points, and then trade back into MOC with a Marriott week -- and can restore my points.

2) Book a reservation with my DC Points while it's available, and then explore a cheaper source of points (either renting points for cash or obtaining points via a trade). I then call the VOA and have them (actually Technical Support) substitute the new points for my DC Points. Example: a friend is coming to Maui with us next year and offered to pay the rental cost of the points. I booked the reservation with my points while the reservation was available, and then went out and found points at the price I wanted. I rented them and substituted the new points into his reservation.

3) Park idle points into a reservation -- I have acquired via Direct Exchange October anniversary points (10/15-9/16 Usage) that I intend to use in June 2016 (therefore they aren't needed until May 2015). In the interim, I will make a reservation somewhere (Kauai Beach Club Oct 2015 or Mountainside December 2015), and then examine if I want to keep that reservation in the months leading up to May 2015 --- or if I like the location, can I go to those destinations more cheaply with another timeshare system?

4) Maximize the cheaper days (Sun-Thurs) and use other reservations for the more expensive days -- Example: I used a travel package to book a hotel :doh: for Wednesday through Sunday in Boston, and then DC Points for the Sunday - Thursday portion at Grande Ocean (and maybe I'll get those points back per #1 above).

5) Rent someones points that are near expiration, and substitute them into my existing DC point reservation. If I have that Q4 reservation into Kauai Beach Club or Mountainside, and someone has calendar year points that are expiring (and weren't banked) I can rent them very inexpensively, and substitute them into my Q4 reservation.

I like all of these, and #3 (especially if combined with #5) has made me appreciate the value of off-calendar year points. It's a bit of a drag if you make an October or December reservation with calendar year points, because if plans change, you are squeezed for an alternative use for those points, and banking deadlines may have passed. Accordingly, I've started to appreciate October Usage Year points for a Q4 reservation -- if I cancel, I still have many months available for an alternative use.

Finally, I had a smart TUGger once tell me that when they were younger, it was really important to them that they maximize the value of their timeshares (as I'm trying to do above) and that they were now at a point in life where they weren't interested in playing these games, they just wanted the reservation. I thought that was good wisdom (and I hope to be there one of these days!)

I would welcome any other booking strategies that people have utilized. Thanks!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good stuff, thanks!

Quick question about #1...your II trade back into MOC loses the view guarantee, right? Does that matter to you, and if so, what do you do about it?

In my case, next spring I have an owned Waiohai week reservation (ocean view) followed by an II traded week (the II code indicates island view, and OV weeks are not showing as available on my-vacation club.com), then two nights in an OV on DC points. My hope is the resort will not make me move twice.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
As you would say....Interesting Stuff....

With doing all of this...when do you have time to vacation? :D

Next time you want my October Use Year Trust points, I'll know to charge you a premium. ;)

Last edited:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg,

You need to get a job. Unemployment doesn't suit you. You have way too much time on your hands.:hysterical:

As for the reservation tricks the only one I really use is to make 1 or 2 day reservations with DC points when a whole week isn't available. When I've filled in the whole week I call MVCI and have them combine all the ressie's into one number.

I've tried the 60 day window trick a few times where you have a full point reservation and then try to book it 60 days out at discount points but that doesn't work so well at peak periods. I did successfully accomplish it at Customs House once but then we changed plans and didn't travel there.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good stuff, thanks!

Quick question about #1...your II trade back into MOC loses the view guarantee, right? Does that matter to you, and if so, what do you do about it?

In my case, next spring I have an owned Waiohai week reservation (ocean view) followed by an II traded week (the II code indicates island view, and OV weeks are not showing as available on my-vacation club.com), then two nights in an OV on DC points. My hope is the resort will not make me move twice.

You are correct, I lose the view guarantee, but if I've booked a premium view with points, I typically really want it (like with Kauai Lagoons). At MOC, I'm booking 1BR Mtn/Garden because I think that's the best points value at MOC, and most of my trades have been back in as a 1BR M/G -- the same unit. One of my trades this year is a 1BR M/G in Lahaina Villas, which I thought was interesting, and then I used points to book a Studio M/G to build a 2BR.

Let us know how it goes with Waiohai -- I suspect they would make you move, but that would be fantastic if they let you stay in the same unit. Please let us know!

Best,

Greg

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening....

I like Puck Trick I ...Book a ressie...then cancel and rebook within 60 days...save the 25% discount... the 25% points go in penalty box but so what??? still found points!!!

Use the Sun-thurs weekday discount, book the sat-sun with cash using MOD, p33, p34 sometimes you can get 45% off...Makes sure to use same room type, they won't make you move...

Try and use "distressed" a.k.a near expiration points...I have snagged points that are distressed for $0.29 and am working on a transaction for $0.30/pt

I like parking point sin reservations...I have 2015 Barony OF 6/6 for 6 nigfhts... not sure If I am going but it is a great ressie within driving distance. Points can be returned unemcumbered until 61 days out. I can still bank borrow etc...

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like #4. I have a lot of rewards points and with some timing I can get a 12 day trip with 10 being Sunday to Thursday stays. I basically get 10 nights for the price of 7.

Reaction score
They will have you move to a different view:(.

Good stuff, thanks!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Great ideas.

We are trying #1, made two one week ressies at Lahaina/Napili towers for late April 2015 using points. Trying to trade a MFC 2BR into a 1 or 2BR there to replace one of those weeks. No luck so far, but from what I have seen so far, nothing may come up until about 60 days out. Hopefully sooner.

Mike

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
tricks do work

We are currently staying at Marriott Grande Ocean and used Trick #1 to get this week. We had reserved this week using about 3,500 DC points about 12 months out. We then put in a request with II using our DSV II week (summer week). After several months (and my calls from II asking if our dates or resort choice were flexible) the trade came through about 4 months ago. We were then able to deposit the DC points into our account and used them for an upcoming trip to Orlando Lakeshore Reserve, 3 bedroom in Nov. and the other points which were due to expire in 2014, for a New Year's Eve check-in at Oceana Palms for the first week of 2015.
By the way, I was a bit concerned about the view we would get here at MGO, but to our pleasant surprise we have a 4th floor Ocean front view in the Sandcastle building...its awesome!
This trick was easy and we are trying it again with Aruba for next year.

Jme, we had dinner last night at Flora's Italian restaurant and it was awesome! Tonight we are off to the Olde Oyster Factory. Loving HHI.
Brian

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We are currently staying at Marriott Grande Ocean and used Trick #1 to get this week. We had reserved this week using about 3,500 DC points about 12 months out. We then put in a request with II using our DSV II week (summer week). After several months (and my calls from II asking if our dates or resort choice were flexible) the trade came through about 4 months ago. We were then able to deposit the DC points into our account and used them for an upcoming trip to Orlando Lakeshore Reserve, 3 bedroom in Nov. and the other points which were due to expire in 2014, for a New Year's Eve check-in at Oceana Palms for the first week of 2015.
By the way, I was a bit concerned about the view we would get here at MGO, but to our pleasant surprise we have a 4th floor Ocean front view in the Sandcastle building...its awesome!
This trick was easy and we are trying it again with Aruba for next year.

Jme, we had dinner last night at Flora's Italian restaurant and it was awesome! Tonight we are off to the Olde Oyster Factory. Loving HHI.
Brian

glad to hear it....enjoy the week and hope it's not too hot. Great villa assignment!!!

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

I was curious if TUGgers had developed a favorite booking trick, or alternative usage for the system. I have a few and curious about others.

1) Book a reservation with DC Points 13 months out and then try to replace the DC Point reservation with an II trade - if I get the trade, I then cancel my Point reservation and restore the points. Example: I've booked Grande Ocean for Spring Break 2015 with DC Points, and am trying to trade in with a Worldmark week -- maybe I'll get it 60-75 days before check-in -- freeing up 2,250 points due to a WM week that isn't very valuable. I've successfully done this a couple times where I hold a MOC reservation with points, and then trade back into MOC with a Marriott week -- and can restore my points.

2) Book a reservation with my DC Points while it's available, and then explore a cheaper source of points (either renting points for cash or obtaining points via a trade). I then call the VOA and have them (actually Technical Support) substitute the new points for my DC Points. Example: a friend is coming to Maui with us next year and offered to pay the rental cost of the points. I booked the reservation with my points while the reservation was available, and then went out and found points at the price I wanted. I rented them and substituted the new points into his reservation.

3) Park idle points into a reservation -- I have acquired via Direct Exchange October anniversary points (10/15-9/16 Usage) that I intend to use in June 2016 (therefore they aren't needed until May 2015). In the interim, I will make a reservation somewhere (Kauai Beach Club Oct 2015 or Mountainside December 2015), and then examine if I want to keep that reservation in the months leading up to May 2015 --- or if I like the location, can I go to those destinations more cheaply with another timeshare system?

4) Maximize the cheaper days (Sun-Thurs) and use other reservations for the more expensive days -- Example: I used a travel package to book a hotel :doh: for Wednesday through Sunday in Boston, and then DC Points for the Sunday - Thursday portion at Grande Ocean (and maybe I'll get those points back per #1 above).

5) Rent someones points that are near expiration, and substitute them into my existing DC point reservation. If I have that Q4 reservation into Kauai Beach Club or Mountainside, and someone has calendar year points that are expiring (and weren't banked) I can rent them very inexpensively, and substitute them into my Q4 reservation.

I like all of these, and #3 (especially if combined with #5) has made me appreciate the value of off-calendar year points. It's a bit of a drag if you make an October or December reservation with calendar year points, because if plans change, you are squeezed for an alternative use for those points, and banking deadlines may have passed. Accordingly, I've started to appreciate October Usage Year points for a Q4 reservation -- if I cancel, I still have many months available for an alternative use.

Finally, I had a smart TUGger once tell me that when they were younger, it was really important to them that they maximize the value of their timeshares (as I'm trying to do above) and that they were now at a point in life where they weren't interested in playing these games, they just wanted the reservation. I thought that was good wisdom (and I hope to be there one of these days!)

I would welcome any other booking strategies that people have utilized. Thanks!

Best,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Quick question - what's the best website to use to rent DC points? I didn't find any link to listings for that on Redweek and nothing popped up on ebay.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Hi Greg,

Quick question - what's the best website to use to rent DC points? I didn't find any link to listings for that on Redweek and nothing popped up on ebay.

www.vacationpointexchange.com is GregT and StevenTing's site.

There are others, but that one seems to be the most active.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Hi Greg,

From page 2 of the Points FAQ:
Usage Rentals - Members are allowed to rent usage of DC Points to others, provided all parties are in good standing.

Renting to another DC Member is done via a Usage Transfer, as above.

Renting to a non-DC Member is done via the DC Member using his/her Points to make the reservation, then attaching the rentee's name to it. Control of the DC Points and the reservation(s) made with them remains with the DC Member (very similar to the rental process with MVCI Weeks.) Currently there are no limits to the number of rentals allowed in Member Accounts.

Marriott does not currently have an internal Points Rental option. Rentals may be facilitated privately through any of the established external sites, including the two mentioned here which have been developed by long-time TUGgers and are utilized extensively by Marriott Vacation Club owners/members:
  • VacationPointExchange.com developed by TUGgers GregT and StevenTing shortly after the DC introduction
  • Ownertrades.com developed by TUGger Clark in 2001, expanded to include DC Points resales/rentals following the DC establishment

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bingo!

Let us know how it goes with Waiohai -- I suspect they would make you move, but that would be fantastic if they let you stay in the same unit. Please let us know!
Great unit the whole time, no move. Cheers.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

I've used this approach several times and have had good success (not just at 13 months). I used DC points to confirm 6 nights at Barony Labor Day week, and later confirmed an II exchange for Grand Ocean that same week. I will either cancel my DC reservation, have friends or family members use it, or rent it. I've also used DC points to confirm a reservation at a home resort at 13 months just in case I can't get that week at the 12 month reservation window.

I just hope that DC point 13 month availability doesn't substantially decline now that more members have access to it due to the new membership structure.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the:

Maximize the cheaper days (Sun-Thurs)

If I then want to supplement with a revenue day I do, otherwise often 5 days at one location is enough when traveling with young children.