• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Marriott in Spain??

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
We are leaving for Spain in 1.5 weeks. We are starting off in Barcelona and then we are flying to Granada. We are picking up a car there and after a night in the Alahambra we are driving to Marbella for a week. The MVCI in Marbella has sent me a 24 page document of day trips/ tours. Some we will do on our own and some we will book. We will then drive to Madrid for our last 4 days. So we are renting a car but not for the whole trip.

That sounds like an awesome itinerary.

Enjoy!!!!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a great trip planned ilene13. Was the info from Playa Andaluza or Marbella Beach Club? I spoke with Playa this morning but the web site they directed me to was not a good link and I was not able to get any information.
I would also appreciate any more suggestions regarding renting a car or using other transport. Thanks.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Spain and Portugal, we have found the driving easy, and use CarJet.com. All insurances are included. iirc, the last one came from the Budget desk at Lisbon. They use the major car rental providors. If you choose to go to The Alhambra, book it before you get to Spain.

Jim

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a great trip planned ilene13. Was the info from Playa Andaluza or Marbella Beach Club? I spoke with Playa this morning but the web site they directed me to was not a good link and I was not able to get any information.
I would also appreciate any more suggestions regarding renting a car or using other transport. Thanks.

Marbella beach Club. They also sent me 4 pages of restaurants. Send me a PM with your private email and I will forward them to you on Sunday as I am currently out of town.

marileehaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are leaving for Spain in 1.5 weeks. We are starting off in Barcelona and then we are flying to Granada. We are picking up a car there and after a night in the Alahambra we are driving to Marbella for a week. The MVCI in Marbella has sent me a 24 page document of day trips/ tours. Some we will do on our own and some we will book. We will then drive to Madrid for our last 4 days. So we are renting a car but not for the whole trip.

We're planning a trip virtually identical to yours, a year from now (Sept), beginning in Barcelona. I'd really appreciate your impressions, travel tips, and suggestions when you return! Right now we're struggling with whether to include Son Antem in our exchange request, in addition to Marbella. We've never been to Spain, so everything will be a new experience. Both sound lovely! Would you seasoned Tug Travelers suggest that if we want to spend 2 or 3 days in Madrid that we focus solely on Marbella and save Son Antem for a future trip? Thanks!

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a great trip you are taking. Our daughter lives in Barcelona and we have been there a handful of times (it's a long way to go for a hug, but worth the trip). Barcelona is great and October is a wonderful time of year to be there. I can't speak for any other part of Spain but if you have any questions about what to see and do in Barcelona I'll be glad to try and help. We stay at our daughter's and only have limited hotel experience.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Would you seasoned Tug Travelers suggest that if we want to spend 2 or 3 days in Madrid that we focus solely on Marbella and save Son Antem for a future trip? Thanks!

It wouldn't be too big an issue if you were to choose Son Antem. If you were going to fly from Madrid to Malaga in order to get to Marbella then there's no reason not to fly to Palma to get to Son Antem. Of course if you were going to drive or take the train then Son Antem would also require a ferry crossing so it depends on how much travelling you're prepared to undertake.

The other consideration would be how much you intend to see of the local area. There are many 'must see' trips that can be taken from Marbella whereas in Son Antem you're pretty much restricted to Mallorca and perhaps neighbouring Menorca, both of which have plenty to offer in terms of sightseeing just not the big ones such as Ronda, Seville, Granada etc.

Son Antem is one of our favourite resorts but we like to enjoy it as a resort rather than as a base for exploring with the exception of trips to nearby Aqualand!

If your intention is to see as much of Spain as you can then I would opt for Marbella or Playa Andaluza and leave Son Antem for a future leisurely sun filled break.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would agree, save Son Antem for a future trip.
Majorca is a beautiful island, Palma a great city, Deia / Valledemossa... really nice villages, Tramuntana mountains spectacular, plenty of good beaches and coves...I could go on.
The resort itself is primarily a wonderful place to chill out and relax though and if you want to enjoy all the other places you need to allow a fair number of days to do it justice.

marileehaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you both, for your most helpful information! You've clarified things greatly, and as wonderful as Son Antem sounds I think that we'll save it for our next trip. Thanks, again, for taking the time to respond!