• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is resale value of HGVC points

axil23

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a Timeshare and was wondering what I should aim to pay for a 7000 or a 8400 pts on the resale market.

Is $6000 for the 7000 and $7000 for the 8400 good value. This is including costs of all transfers and maintenance fees of around $900 on both. Which one offers better value?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Yes both are platinum season. So what is the value for these? Is this a good deal or shall I keep on shopping? Which one offers better value?

The general rule of thumb is $1 per point is considered a solid value, so yes both of these seem to meet that guideline.

But there are other factors to consider, the maintenance fees for the particular resorts you considering impacts the value as does the location.

In the end its somewhat subjective. How many points will you use each year? Its better to borrow extra points than to have too many, so don't buy too big of a package.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The general rule of thumb is $1 per point is considered a solid value, so yes both of these seem to meet that guideline.

But there are other factors to consider, the maintenance fees for the particular resorts you considering impacts the value as does the location.

Yes on location. For example, W. 57th (and I know that this is an exception) goes for far more than that rule of thumb.

Cheers.

TheCryptkeeper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at the Flamingo
West 57th St. By Hilton Club
Yes on location. For example, W. 57th (and I know that this is an exception) goes for far more than that rule of thumb.

Cheers.

Not anymore. W. 57th Street is listed on eBay for $3800. Not sure how many points, but even if it's a gold season studio, that's close to one dollar a point. A couple of years ago, you couldn't touch a resale platinum studio at this location for less than $24K. Now I see Judi Kozlowski listing them for $12,000. I think all timeshares have greater depreciation than cars, regardless of their location.

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
So if I buy one if the two mentioned above what should I expect to loose on them in say 5 years?
You should walk into any timeshare purchase with the expectation that the purchase price is a sunk cost you will never recover. For some of them, you actually need to add sweetners such as free closing etc. to dispose of them. This way if you get anything on the back end you will be more than happy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

TheCryptkeeper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at the Flamingo
West 57th St. By Hilton Club
You should walk into any timeshare purchase with the expectation that the purchase price is a sunk cost you will never recover. For some of them, you actually need to add sweetners such as free closing etc. to dispose of them. This way if you get anything on the back end you will be more than happy

So true. Don't expect to get your initial investment returned. If you're okay with that plus yearly costs, then go for it. But regardless of location, or what anyone tells you, a time share is like a car or electronics and rarely appreciates or even maintains value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not anymore. W. 57th Street is listed on eBay for $3800. Not sure how many points, but even if it's a gold season studio, that's close to one dollar a point. A couple of years ago, you couldn't touch a resale platinum studio at this location for less than $24K. Now I see Judi Kozlowski listing them for $12,000. I think all timeshares have greater depreciation than cars, regardless of their location.

People can list for what they want. The question is - what is the ROFR point? I know it will be above the $3800, so no one will get it for that. I've also seen Judi list for below the then-current ROFR. But I have no idea where it is now. It was up in the range you mention a couple of years ago. With the limits on resale availability in New York, I don't expect it do drop too much. But it doesn't matter either way.

BTW, just looked at Judi's site now, and I don't see anything below $19.5K. The listings look about the same as a couple of years ago. I'm not thinking that prices there have actually gone down much, if at all :)

Cheers.

Last edited:

axil23

Reaction score

Do you mean that in 5 years time I will have to give them away free? I thought since I was buying resale the major depreciation had all ready taken place?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mean that in 5 years time I will have to give them away free? I thought since I was buying resale the major depreciation had all ready taken place?

They depreciate every year. You may or may not be able to sell them in 5 years. You may need to give them away. There's no way of telling right now. You need to think about the value of using them and assume you'll net zero at the end. If you are able to get any of your money back through a sale, consider that a bonus.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
It isn't a depreciation issue.. it is an uncertainty issue. For example. 2 years ago club Intrawest points were worth something. . Now people are practically giving them away. If you walk into a deal expecting to walk away with something when you sell/liquidate you are making a big assumption that might not pan out.

axil23

Reaction score
It isn't a depreciation issue.. it is an uncertainty issue. For example. 2 years ago club Intrawest points were worth something. . Now people are practically giving them away. If you walk into a deal expecting to walk away with something when you sell/liquidate you are making a big assumption that might not pan out.

Do any of you have any experience with Anantara timeshare scheme? They seem to offer HGVC properties too. Is that better value? My friend bought 9000 points for $25,000 which I found high.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do any of you have any experience with Anantara timeshare scheme? They seem to offer HGVC properties too. Is that better value? My friend bought 9000 points for $25,000 which I found high.

Anantara is a HGVC partner is Asia and New Zealand. You can book those resorts directly from HGVC, and I assume Anantara owners can book HGVC resort. I am not aware of you being able to buy HGVC resorts / points directly from them.. If you can buy from them, i suspect you would buy one of their resorts that is then worth X number of HGVC points if you book with HGVC.

A couple of big risks with that strategy would be that the partnership could change or even dissolve.. much like the relationship with club Intrawest did. The other risk would be currency risk, as your MF would be based in another currency..

axil23

Reaction score
Anantara is a HGVC partner is Asia and New Zealand. You can book those resorts directly from HGVC, and I assume Anantara owners can book HGVC resort. I am not aware of you being able to buy HGVC resorts / points directly from them.. If you can buy from them, i suspect you would buy one of their resorts that is then worth X number of HGVC points if you book with HGVC.

A couple of big risks with that strategy would be that the partnership could change or even dissolve.. much like the relationship with club Intrawest did. The other risk would be currency risk, as your MF would be based in another currency..

Thank you for your quick reply.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Would $24,000 for 9,600 points at Sunrise Lodge be too much then. Platinum ski season for a 3br premium, including wk 52? What's the advantage of buying at the location we are planning to use?
Thanks!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Would $24,000 for 9,600 points at Sunrise Lodge be too much then. Platinum ski season for a 3br premium, including wk 52? What's the advantage of buying at the location we are planning to use?
Thanks!

I don't follow prices at Sunrise Lodge, so can't comment if that price is good or not. But can say that some locations do carry a premium over others. For example units a true beachfront resort like Hilton Hawaiian Village typically sell for a premium over Las Vegas or Orlando.

You do get home resort advantage in terms of when you can reserve. A 3 bedroom Week 52 at a ski resort would seem popular to me. Its quite possible that may very difficult or impossible to book as a club reservation if you don't own there.

The unit you are looking at a fixed week? That would make it a guaranteed reservation, and would drive the price up over a standard floating week.