• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AMD Driver ???

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
After I updated all my Drivers...
the images on my monitor were skewed all over the place.

Then a message appeared informing me that my AMD driver was missing/obsolete/corrupted.

Is there a "safe" AMD site I can used to update my AMD driver ?
I'm currently out of town but I would like to correct my issue upon return.

TIA

Doug

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Did you set a restore point before updating?
Try restoring from that or a prior restore point.
If you can't see it, try attaching a second monitor.

I use Driver Booster from IObit... never had a problem.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score

AN EXCELLENT SUGGESTION.
I'll try that upon my return in a few days.

That's the prog I use too

Doug

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I'm not sure if you have the same type of problem I had, but perhaps something in this will help.

I had display issues when I updated my old desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. (This PC is more than 5 years old, but it still runs well. The monitor is an HP 25" screen.) The screen display was all "mooshed together" when I booted up into Windows 10. I think this was because the Catalyst Control center for my ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 video card was out of date. The installed Catalyst Control Center was dated 4/19/2010 and was version 3.0.765.0 (and yes, you're right, that's an ancient driver. I just don't bother updating drivers unless I am having problems).

I searched on the Internet for a solution. (And I saved a text file with all my steps in case I ever needed to follow the breadcrumbs and redo this.) This link was helpful:

http://www.tenforums.com/graphic-ca...00-driver-64-bit-windows-10-a.html#post324523

This AMD support site had the Catalyst Legacy 13.1 and 13.4 drivers:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows 8 - 64

I downloaded versions 13.1 and 13.4 of Catalyst Control Center.

Contrary to the advice, I then installed version 13.4 (by double-clicking the downloaded executable file) without deleting the old version of the Catalyst Control Center. (Perhaps that was a mistake?) There was no improvement.

I then ran Windows compatibility mode. (Link: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/set-compatibility-mode-windows-10) I selected Catalyst Control Center from the list of applications. I let Windows try the recommended settings for Windows 7. Nothing seemed to happen to improve the display, so I told Windows that this hadn't fixed m problem and it offered to run Catalyst Control Center under Windows 8. Again, there was no improvement. At this point, I ran Windows Screen Resolution and changed from 1920 x 1080 to a lower resolution and OK'd that. I then changed back to 1920 x 1080 and the problem was fixed. (I'll be darned if I understand why.) So I saved that setting. Everything has been fine since.

I am unsure now if it was absolutely necessary to run the Catalyst Control center under Windows 8 compatibility. I don't know what would have happened if I had installed version 13.4 of Catalyst Control Center, ran screen resolution, changed to a lower resolution and OK'd that, and then changed back to 1920 x 1080. And I don't know what might have happened if I had exactly followed the original advice in that hyperlink. But in any event, the problem was fixed !!

Computers. Sometimes they are a pain in the A.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that computers are often a BIG a cause of hemorrhoid !!!

Anxious to return home to attempt to resolve my issue.

Reaction score
Actually, it is probably a video card driver, NOT AMD chip driver. The AMD chip processes the information moving around, the video card creates the images. So, instead of working on the AMD driver, work on the video driver first. Technically, there is no such thing as a processor driver other than the BIOS firmware.

TS

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, it is probably a video card driver, NOT AMD chip driver. The AMD chip processes the information moving around, the video card creates the images. So, instead of working on the AMD driver, work on the video driver first. Technically, there is no such thing as a processor driver other than the BIOS firmware.

TS

Greetings everyone.
Well... arrived home last night at 10:40PM.
It's now 5:45AM and I'm anxious to resolve this.

simpsontruckdriver:
Thanks for your reply.

HOW... do I go about "working on the video driver" ???

Doug

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score

Howdy Talent312 :wave:

My problem occurred immediately after I ran Driver-Booster (free version).

I just down-loaded and ran the latest version of Driver-Booster to no avail.

HOW... under Windows-10, do I go about running a "restore" ???
I believe Driver-Booster created a restore-point.

I searched for the process of running a "restore"
  • START
  • SETTINGS
  • UPDATE & SECURITY
  • Then...
  • BACK --and-- RECOVERY
Am I on the right trail or way out in left field ???!!!

Thanks, Doug

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, pc's. :eek:

Those were the days...

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
HOW... under Windows-10, do I go about running a "restore" ???

The "System Restore" function takes a bit of work to find...
(1) Right-click on the Windows icon on the task bar (far left) and then select System (or open the old Control Panel and select System). On the left-side menu, chose System Protection (it might be in a tab at the top).
Or (2), you can click on Cortana and type in "about system," select "System" and then System Protection.

When you've found System Protection, you'll see the option to "Restore to an earlier point.

The alternative under Settings... Recovery is to chose "Reset this PC." But IMHO, that's overkill.

Last edited:

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
The "System Restore" function takes a bit of work to find...
(1) Right-click on the Windows icon on the task bar (far left) and then select System (or open the old Control Panel and select System). On the left-side menu, chose System Protection (it might be in a tab at the top).
Or (2), you can click on Cortana and type in "about system," select "System" and then System Protection.

By "Windows icon" do you mean what's know as the "START" button on Win-10 (Window with four panes)?

If so... I wasn't able to see "System" by right-clicking it.
Under "Control Panel" I didn't see "System Protection".

The closest thing I found was: "Back up and Restore (Windows 7"
which implies it's a option to revert back to Windows 7.
Which I don't want to do.

I've often created "restore points" and restored windows back to those restore points.
But.. never had reason to do so (until now) in Windows 10.
Driver Booster displayed a message it was creating a restore point.

The mystery thickens.

When you've found System Protection, you'll see the option to "Restore to an earlier point.

Would love to do exactly that.

The alternative under Settings... Recovery is to chose "Reset this PC." But IMHO, that's overkill.

Amen !!!
That would reload the virgin win-10 all over again.

Doug

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talent313:

Did a google search and found the following:
By default, System Restore is enabled on all Windows operating systems, including Windows 10. But some users who upgraded their computers to Windows 10 are reporting that their System Restore feature was turned off. It is therefore imperative that all users check if System Restore is enabled on their systems, and if not to turn it on.......​

Since I upgraded from Win-7 to Win-10, this may be the root of my issue.

Up until now, Win-10 worked beautifully for me.

I'll now pursue turning System Restore "on".

Doug

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug,

Click the Windows key (the four panes) then
click the 'settings' (the 'gear')
A box will open. Near the top there will be a box. Type 'recovery' in that box.
That will open yet another box, and one of the choices is 'Recovery'. Click that. Another box will open, and 'Open System Restore' will be one of the choices. Click that. Select a restore point earlier than when your problems started, click it and let the computer go to work.

You can also uninstall Windows and reinstall a fresh Windows 10 from that area.

Good Luck.

Jim

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talent313:

Poked around and stumbled upon "Restore System to a previous point".
However there were only two restore points, both from this morning when Windows performed a "critical update".

I was hoping (actually praying) to see a restore-point (date) just before Driver Booster did its thing.

Well... I'll google "AMD drivers" and see if I find something that looks "safe" and give it a whirl.

Doug

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug,

Click the Windows key (the four panes) then
click the 'settings' (the 'gear')
A box will open. Near the top there will be a box. Type 'recovery' in that box.

There was a "search" box labeled "Find a setting".
I typed "recovery"
and it responded with: "No results for recovery"

That will open yet another box, and one of the choices is 'Recovery'. Click that. Another box will open, and 'Open System Restore' will be one of the choices. Click that. Select a restore point earlier than when your problems started, click it and let the computer go to work.

I located "Recovery" under UPDATE and SECURITY
However clicking on "Recovery" I was presented with "Reset This PC".
It gave me to disastrous options:
  • Keep my files but remove all apps and settings.
  • Remove everything
YIKES !!!

You're on the right track, as I stumbled upon the area where I could chose a restore point. But.. it only contained two points that windows set this morning, but not a restore-point just-before my problem started.

You can also uninstall Windows and reinstall a fresh Windows 10 from that area.

Don't want to do that.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If so... I wasn't able to see "System" by right-clicking it. Under "Control Panel" I didn't see "System Protection".

Opps... Didn't see the post where you found it... Too bad there's no restore point for you to use. But here was my post where I tried to help you find it...

------------------------
You can't go directly to "System Protection" in the Control Panel. When opening the Control Panel, you first select System... not "Recovery," not "Backup & Restore"... but "System."

You can also get to the "System" box by typing "about system" in Cortana. It will say, "Best Match" -- System / Control Panel.

The "System Protection" is a menu item within the "System" box.
When you open the "System" box, a short menu on the left lists:
Device Manager
Remote Settings
System Protection <-- That's It!
Advanced System Settings

The box which opens when you click "System Protection" actually says: "System Properties." There's several tabs across the front and "System Protection" is pre-selected for you. There'll you'll see the System Restore button.

I used this once myself to restore my internet connection when something messed up winsock protocols.

Last edited:

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone !!!

Sorry to "disappeared" but something urgent came up so I had to leave for a couple of days.

Anyway I'm back and in hot pursuit.

Talent:
I'll save your post so I can semi-easily create a "System Restore Point" in the future.

Meanwhile, I'll search for "AMD Graphics Driver" and poke around a tad.
I'll likely post what I find and ask for guidance/recommendation from Y'all.

Have a nice weekend !!!

Doug

----- ===== ----- ===== -----

Opps... Didn't see the post where you found it... Too bad there's no restore point for you to use. But here was my post where I tried to help you find it...

------------------------
You can't go directly to "System Protection" in the Control Panel. When opening the Control Panel, you first select System... not "Recovery," not "Backup & Restore"... but "System."

You can also get to the "System" box by typing "about system" in Cortana. It will say, "Best Match" -- System / Control Panel.

The "System Protection" is a menu item within the "System" box.
When you open the "System" box, a short menu on the left lists:
Device Manager
Remote Settings
System Protection <-- That's It!
Advanced System Settings

The box which opens when you click "System Protection" actually says: "System Properties." There's several tabs across the front and "System Protection" is pre-selected for you. There'll you'll see the System Restore button.

I used this once myself to restore my internet connection when something messed up winsock protocols.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ran AMD's AutoDetect Tool

Howdy Folks !

I found:
AMD AutoDetect Tool
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

Downloaded and ran it.
This was my result:
Your system already has the latest driver installed.

Processor:
Intel® Core (TM) 17-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Graphics Hardware: AMD Radeon HD 6450
Windows 10 64-Bit​
Someone (SimpsonTruckDriver) earlier suggested:
Actually, it is probably a video card driver, NOT AMD chip driver. The AMD chip processes the information moving around, the video card creates the images. So, instead of working on the AMD driver, work on the video driver first. Technically, there is no such thing as a processor driver other than the BIOS firmware.​

Well... IO-Bit's Driver-Booster didn't detect any "old" driver on my system.

I can still use my PC but it would be nice if I got my video working like it should.
On most sites... I have to make the images smaller to fit on the screen.
And while watching videos (YouTube, etc.) the images seems "stretched".

Please comment/advise, etc.

Doug

Last edited:

ScotTheRoc

Reaction score
I agree with another poster, this sounds more like a video card driver. Have you run the device manager to see if anything shows up there?

As far as driver updating programs go, I think those things are evil. I would delete it from your computer if I were you. I installed one of those years ago and it told me I had x amount of outdated drivers. Even though my computer ran fine I 'updated' them anyway. Long story short, it fried my hard drive. Lesson learned.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
On most sites... I have to make the images smaller to fit on the screen. And while watching videos (YouTube, etc.) the images seems "stretched."

Could be something as simple as your screen resolution?
Try... Settings > System > Display > blue "Advanced Display Settings" at bottom.

(1) Try changing the resolution to something less.
(2) Investigate your Display Adapter...
-- Click "Display Adapter Properties" (bottom of Adv-Display Settings).
-- Click on Adapter Type "Properties" to see if it thinks it's working properly.
-- Click on "List All Modes" to see if they match your screen resolution.

Not sure that any of this helps. Ultimately, you may need a new video card.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Talent312 :hi:

Could be something as simple as your screen resolution?
Try... Settings > System > Display > blue "Advanced Display Settings" at bottom.

(1) Try changing the resolution to something less..

I changed it to 1280 by 1024 and it improved the layout on my monitor.
Not "perfect" but much better.

(2) Investigate your Display Adapter...
-- Click "Display Adapter Properties" (bottom of Adv-Display Settings)..
-- Click on Adapter Type "Properties" to see if it thinks it's working properly..

It "thinks" it's working correctly.

-- Click on "List All Modes" to see if they match your screen resolution..

It displayed the following
1152 by 864
640 by 480
800 by 600
1024 by 768
1280 by 1024 (This is what I changed it to. Can't remember what it was before I changed it :bawl:)

Not sure that any of this helps. Ultimately, you may need a new video card.

I certainly hope not.
I'd have to drop off my unit, including monitor, to the local repair shop.

Doug

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you're completely fixed and I haven't read through all the posts... how about your monitor settings? Have you played with those? You probably have a factory reset option in the menu commands, try that.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you're completely fixed and I haven't read through all the posts... how about your monitor settings? Have you played with those? You probably have a factory reset option in the menu commands, try that.

Howdy Ace2000 !

Hmmm... that's an idea that never crossed my senile-senior mind.
I wouldn't like to "factory-reset" everything... just my monitor.
Wonder if I could do that ???

Doug

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hi Again Ace2000 !

I wasn't able to find how/where to only factory-reset my monitor.

Here's how to reset your PC in Windows 10. Navigate to Settings. Select "Update & security" Click Recovery in the left pane. Click Get started under Reset this PC. Click either "Keep my files" or "Remove everything," depending on whether you want to keep your data files intact.​

At the very least... I would opt for: "Keep my files".
But then... I'm afraid it may reset everything else,
including all the updates to Windows-10, etc. etc. etc.

At this point, I'm a little gun-shy and hesitate tinkering too much.

Doug