• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HCC - Is property availability a problem?

Ron G.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a temporary member password today and, for the first time, was able to see what properties are booked when.

If I get a Private membership, I can book 21 days up to a year in advance (if I understand the process). However, that means that 24 days would be (I think) available to me only 90 days out. Since I'd be flying 'most anywhere, getting reasonably priced tickets becomes a factor. For those 24 days, I think I'd be limited to the 30-90 day window (since tickets less than 30 days in advance are likely to be expensive). When I looked at availability, the more desirable spots seem to be pretty much booked up during that window (specifically, Sept. 15 - November 15). (Ski resorts are, of course, available, but beach resorts...not so much.)

Am I looking at these availability calendars too skeptically?

Also, I looked at availability with an eye toward using "last minute reservations". (Heath clarified for me that "last minute" means space is available one week prior.) Since I'm on the east coast (Baltimore), options are pretty limited within driving distance and I think airfare and seat availability are going to be very restrictive. I suspect that "unlimited" last minute reservations may be a non-benefit for me (and, maybe, a great benefit for Colorado residents).

I'm still giving this serious thought, but I gotta say that I wasn't encouraged by the availability calendar.

Ron

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I agree on this point too Ron. I always fly business class and on frequent flyer miles so would have to pay through the nose to get flights to a destination within 90 days.

Brian

texdoc

Reaction score
Ron,

I just joined HCC this July so I may not be the best one to answer these questions for you. What I can tell you is that my experience to date with the reservation system has been exceptional. I joined as a "Group Member" (I'm relatively young and still work full-time so I wanted the option of giving faimily and friends time that I couldn't use). So far, I've made FIVE reservations on-line and had no difficulty booking any of the dates that I wanted. I've made three long-term reservations for this year (including a holiday week in Cabo this spring) plus booked a long weekend in Colorado next month in the "under 60 days" window. I also EASILY booked the Breckenridge Lodge (a popular location so I'm told) for a week next summer. I expected heavy competition for weeks but so far that hasn't been the case.

I must admit, by joining the club late in the summer, many of the most popular locations were already booked this year for the holiday weeks of Christmas and New Years (I expected that) but I found many desirable places still available during Spring Break. I think that I will have a good chance of getting a premiere location for next Christmas if I book one year in advance come this December.

As for "last minute locations", that doesn't affect me because of my membership but I do receive e-mails weekly telling me of the availability. To give you a random example, today's notice (for this week) included the following locations for "last minute occupation": Playa (beach), both Tuscan villas, La Quinta, Beaver Creek, Orlando, Copper Mountain, and Deer Valley Lodge. Of course, these change weekly but as you can see there are usually several options. You are right that you may be a little more restricted because of your location...definitely something to consider if "last minute availability" is a big factor in your decision.

Hope this informations helps.

Last edited:

NeilGoBlue

Reaction score
Ron,

I can't comment on HCC specifically, but the issues you are bringing up around availability is always a concern in the DC industry. You will probably not get 100% of what you want 100% of the time. But I think if you plan correctly you can get 85% of what you want 85% of the time.

For example.

Bellehavens (I'm a member) has enough locations, that at this point, it doesn't matter to me where I go. If I can't get New York, this september, I'll get it in the spring, meanwhile I'll go to hilton head.

Also, there is some strategy you need to employ. My Bellehavans membership has a 1 week reservation up to 1 year out and 8 days up to 60 days out. So, I reserve the advanced reservation in a place where I know will fill up. And I use the 60 day reservation in places I know I'll be able to get in. For example, Cabo Son Lucas is the busiest property for Bellehavens. So, I booked that for May. New York is also highly booked but easy for me to get to, so I'll use that inside my 60 day window.

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron,

As for "last minute locations", that doesn't affect me because of my membership but I do receive e-mails weekly telling me of the availability. To give you a random example, today's notice (for this week) included the following locations for "last minute occupation": Playa (beach), both Tuscan villas, La Quinta, Beaver Creek, Orlando, Copper Mountain, and Deer Valley Lodge. Of course, these change weekly but as you can see there are usually several options. You are right that you may be a little more restricted because of your location...definitely something to consider if "last minute availability" is a big factor in your decision.

Here's the "last minute locations" that should be available for the next two weeks:
Cabo, Playa (Cancun), Tuscany, Deer Valley, Mammoth, Stowe, Hilton Head and less than full weeks at Rosemary Beach, La Quinta, Beaver Creek (both properties), Copper Mountain, Keystone, Snowmass, Steamboat, Winter Park. There are some killer airfares from BWI to CUN right now!

My experience is that additional properties will open up for "last minute" travel shortly before the travel dates.

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron,

I would NOT be concerned about availability of HCC properties with a Private Membership. I've been a member for 9 months and have always been able to get the reservations I want. Like you, I'm in the Northeast (Central PA) and occasionally fly out of BWI.

Without getting into the reservation strategies for HCC Private membership, here is what I've been able to book without problem so far:

This member year:
Snowmass - Feb, ski season! (Last Minute resv.)
Breckenridge (the Lodge!) - Mar, Spring Break! (60 day)
Hilton Head - Aug, prime season! (90 day)
New York City - Oct, Columbus Day! (90 day) < Fri to Mon, 3 day
Maui - Oct (1 year)
Orlando - Nov (90 day)
Turks & Caicos - Dec (1 year)
Stowe - Jan < not booked yet, will book this "Last Minute"

Next member year:
Beaver Creek (the Village!) - Feb, ski season! (1 year)
Breckenridge (the Lodge!) - Feb, ski season! (1 year)
Tuscany - Jul, prime summer season (1 year) < a 2 week booking

Here is what is currently available at the Private Membership booking thresholds:
1 year out = 3 properties booked, 27 properties available!
90 days out = 10 properties booked, 20 properties available!

As you see, your problem will be choices not availability! :D

S

Steamboat Bill

You really NEED to visit the Turks and Caicos as that property, in particular, is very nice and the beachfront location is to die for.

Ron G.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron,

I would NOT be concerned about availability of HCC properties with a Private Membership. I've been a member for 9 months and have always been able to get the reservations I want. Like you, I'm in the Northeast (Central PA) and occasionally fly out of BWI.

Without getting into the reservation strategies for HCC Private membership, here is what I've been able to book without problem so far:

This member year:
Snowmass - Feb, ski season! (Last Minute resv.)
Breckenridge (the Lodge!) - Mar, Spring Break! (60 day)
Hilton Head - Aug, prime season! (90 day)
New York City - Oct, Columbus Day! (90 day) < Fri to Mon, 3 day
Maui - Oct (1 year)
Orlando - Nov (90 day)
Turks & Caicos - Dec (1 year)
Stowe - Jan < not booked yet, will book this "Last Minute"

Next member year:
Beaver Creek (the Village!) - Feb, ski season! (1 year)
Breckenridge (the Lodge!) - Feb, ski season! (1 year)
Tuscany - Jul, prime summer season (1 year) < a 2 week booking

Here is what is currently available at the Private Membership booking thresholds:
1 year out = 3 properties booked, 27 properties available!
90 days out = 10 properties booked, 20 properties available!

Doug,

Your usage of HCC is exactly what I aspire to.

Now, I just gotta get the wife on board.

Ron