• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HCC Telluride location -- Review

texdoc

Reaction score
Seems as if a lot of members are posting reviews on current HCC locations. We recently spent a week at the Telluride location so I thought that I would add a review of that to the list.

The town of Telluride is remarkable. It basically sits in a bowl surrounded on 3+ sides by mountain. Because of this, the size of the town is really limited. The entire town is EASILY walkable. From the HCC condo, you can be downtown in less than 10 minutes with an easy stroll. It is a beautiful little town that still retains a lot of the quaintness it had as an early mining town. There are buildings along the main streets that are renovations of their formers selves, including an old brothel and the old jail that became a library.

In the 70's, as skiing and tourism picked up, the area developed (added on) a classic "ski village", called appropriately Mountain Village, that lies just over the hill from the town of Telluride. While Telluride (the city) has the old charm, MV hosts many of the newer hotels and condominiums. Both are easily accessible by a FREE gondola that runs between the two seven days a week for most of the year. So even if you don't ski, you can get between the two villages easily with a short and extremely scenic gondola ride.

The HCC condo is located at the very far end of the town of Telluride. That being said, you can easily get into town or to the gondola in 5-10 minutes walking. You definitely DO NOT need a car if you come to Telluride. We arranged a shuttle from the Montrose airport. They are located right in the terminal of the airport and shuttle people out continuously throughout the day. Once in Telluride, there is also a free shuttle bus that runs throughout the city every 15 mins or so with a stop less than a block from the HCC condo. If you want to get right to your skiing, there is a lift two to three blocks from the condo (#7 i believe) that can save you the walk to the gondola. But make sure you do the gondola at least once...the views are spectacular.

The HCC condo is good sized. We were supposed to have a group of six on our trip but unfortunately several had to back out at the last moment. The place could easily sleep six people but you could probably fit eight to ten if you need (especially kids).

The condo is in a small self-contained little area with 15-20 units surrounding a middle courtyard/drive. The units are tall and rather narrow on the inside which makes them seem a little cramped at first but you soon get over it. The first floor has a large mud area/entrance way with built in ski/equipment racks. There is also an attached garage (which we didn't use) that enters here. In the back is one of the three bedrooms.

The second level has two bedrooms that, although they feel a little cramped with the furniture in place, are very nice and well decorated. All three rooms have private bathrooms, two with tub/showers and one with an enclosed shower that also can be a steam room (very nice after a long day skiing). There is also a washer/dryer unit in the hall on this level.

The upper level also is narrow but the tall ceilings and open staircase make it seem bigger. The kitchen, like all HCC kitchens, has everything you could possibly need. There is also a small half bath off the kitchen. The open floor plan also has a dining area and living area with the usual flat screen tv, dvd player, and x-box. For those wishing to watch tv, the local cable has over 60channels so there is always something on. There is a nice gas fireplace in the living room area and a small balcony with a grill.

The skiing was PHENOMENAL!! We hadn't been skiing in 15 years and were warned about the difficulty of Telluride slopes, but we found plenty of hills that we were able to ski. After two days of refresher lessons, we were skiing 'double blue' trails. There are plenty of ski slope for beginners. The BEST thing about Telluride is that it is far less busy than a lot of the other Colorado ski locations. There were times when we had a full run to ourselves (how often does that happen)! This also translated into the town at night. There are an abundance of restaurants and we never had a wait (even in the middle of February).

And the views!! I've been to many of the CO ski locations in the past but I think the veiws here were the best of any of the places I've been. One of the runs is even call "See Forever" because you truly can...even the Moab, Utah area two hours away.

If you go, I do have some helpful tips:

--Book the shuttle in advance if you fly to Montrose and don't want to drive. It can get booked up and may be difficult if you just want to walk up.

--Don't worry about getting groceries ahead of time. There is a good sized grocery store (Clark's) less than a block from the condo...you can walk there in three minutes.

--if you want to take lessons and rent equipment while you are there, buy a combo ticket. We did a three day lift pass, rentals, and THREE days of ski lessons for less than the price of three day lift and ONE ski lesson if you do it separately. Makes sense even if you don't want three days of lessons

--it is easy to store your equipment in Mountain Village overnight if you don't feel like carrying it home every night. If you rent, the rental place will store it for FREE. Other "valet" places will store equipment for $5-7/night. This makes the ride on the gondola and trek back to the condo much easier.

--we were told that the busiest times in Telluride are Presidents' weekend and early March. Take that as you will when booking.

We loved Telluride and will definitely go back in the future. As always, another great HCC location and unit that lived up to our expectations

SamH

TUG Member
Reaction score
texdoc,

Nice review. Telluride is on our list of HCC locations that we would like to visit. We appreciate getting a feel for the place before arriving.

Thanks.

Sam

Reaction score
Thanks, texdoc, for the great review. It is really helpful to me as I get ready this Thursday night to book a place for Spring Break '09. Telluride is on my radar screen as a top choice if I don't get Beaver Creek Village Hall.

Couple of questions -

Is there a place to change into ski boots and leave your regular shoes at Chair 7 (the lift one to two blocks from the unit)? I would hate to walk two blocks in ski boots if I could help it.

How is the "Telluride Trail" skiing back down to the base of Chair 7? I believe it is a single blue, but I've read some reviews that it can get icy and is a bit challenging.

Thanks,
LTFM