• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help on deciding Captiva Island resort

smokyhill

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're looking at trying to get into one of the properties on Captiva Island in late September / early October. We've never stayed there before. Just looking for some help / advice on which properties are your favorite and why. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks in advance for your help.

smokyhill

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been doing more searching and I'm finding advice to "take" the 1st property we can get. Does that mean they're all fairly comparable? We're just looking for a little insight from some who have stayed in the area. Thanks

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
They're all different but nice - and often hard to trade into, although in less crowded season, it's certainly doable.

There are some differences in terms of location, size, fees included, etc. thee usually command a higher rental so I think people tend to rent them rather than trade.

If you're interested in seeing pics of the different units, PM and I'll send you a link to the owners website. I think you can view the pics as a non owner.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been doing more searching and I'm finding advice to "take" the 1st property we can get. Does that mean they're all fairly comparable? We're just looking for a little insight from some who have stayed in the area. Thanks

the season in SW Florida is Jan Feb March so you might have some luck in the fall, but the advice you are getting has little to do with the properties, I think it has to do with your chances of finding an exchange

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
the season in SW Florida is Jan Feb March so you might have some luck in the fall, but the advice you are getting has little to do with the properties, I think it has to do with your chances of finding an exchange

Captiva seems to have an extended season. If you ask businesses/restaurants, they'll tell you it's Xmas/NY's through Labor Day. I think that's one reason why it's tough even though it's in FL. I think the second reason is that there's only one resort on Captiva, and it's really nice, so there's lots of demand. All of the TS properties on Captiva are in the same resort.

Another option would be to look in Sanibel. I've had those exchanges come through, but they're not HGVC.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Captiva seems to have an extended season. If you ask businesses/restaurants, they'll tell you it's Xmas/NY's through Labor Day. I think that's one reason why it's tough even though it's in FL. I think the second reason is that there's only one resort on Captiva, and it's really nice, so there's lots of demand. All of the TS properties on Captiva are in the same resort.

Another option would be to look in Sanibel. I've had those exchanges come through, but they're not HGVC.

If you ask a realestate agent that lives and works in Lee County, he, (thats me) will tell you that we get three waves of snow birds here; around Thanksgiving, just before and just after Christmas, and after the first of the year. but the big business happens Jan Feb and Mar. By Easter everyone goes home.

Sept and October is nice, but still summer like..hot and humid. The weather right now is the reason and the time people come to SW Florida

smokyhill

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you ask a realestate agent that lives and works in Lee County, he, (thats me) will tell you that we get three waves of snow birds here; around Thanksgiving, just before and just after Christmas, and after the first of the year. but the big business happens Jan Feb and Mar. By Easter everyone goes home.

Sept and October is nice, but still summer like..hot and humid. The weather right now is the reason and the time people come to SW Florida

So the end of Sept. thru the middle of Oct. should have a better chance at booking, right?

efalkowski

Reaction score
I just got a Captiva reservation through HGVC for the 1st week in Nov. I called the 1st possible day at 8am and there was only 1 available. I was just happy with I got anything at all! It's at South Seas Club, which I believe includes all amenity fees (no extra cost to me). Looks very centrally located at the resort and close to all the big pools....

joewillie12

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hi Ron,
A big draw is also the Red Sox & Twins spring training visit. I've been a realtor in Lee County for almost 20 years now and every year I swear the traffic becomes more and more brutal during the season Jan,Feb, Mar. Also a lot less people leaving and staying year round. Good for biz

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got a Captiva reservation through HGVC for the 1st week in Nov. I called the 1st possible day at 8am and there was only 1 available. I was just happy with I got anything at all! It's at South Seas Club, which I believe includes all amenity fees (no extra cost to me). Looks very centrally located at the resort and close to all the big pools....

I believe SSC may also include some golf.

The only one that does not include the daily resort fee is PBC, AFAIK.

That's awesome. Not sure what you're looking for, but SSC is right at the end if the resort near the pools and everything. Great spot!