• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where are some great places to live?

L

laurac260

It's a good discussion and lots of great suggestions so far. I considered relocating recently. A friend suggested the website City Data and I found that really helpful when researching new areas.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned the travel and expense of connecting to your families, but that might be something you want to keep in mind. That alone could be a deal breaker for some of the locations suggested.

Also, I am a life-long student of our educational system. I successfully raised two boys who are both very bright and well-rounded. I do know that good school systems drive up the cost of housing. However, it's the parents that make the difference in the child's education, not the buildings, and please realize that the teachers all came from the same universities.

Whatever you demand of your child and the extracurricular activities that you add will make a bigger difference than searching for good schools.

Agreed. We go to parent coffees and PTA MEETINGS and the administrators are always telling us it is the parents involvement that makes our school so successful year after year.. The involvement with our children, with our schools, with our EC activities and community activities. I hate even calling us a school SYSTEM. We've had our kids in two different "systems"
And left both. Ours is more a school COMMUNITY. My only regret in moving to Wyoming Ohio is that we didn't do it sooner

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest north Florida too, but it sounds like you are up for a new adventure. I think Denver, Boise, Salt Lake City would be a great place to live. If you are up for paying high prices for living, San Diego and San Francisco are great.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Most of the suburbs around Minneapolis/St. Paul have excellent school systems, and job opportunities in your field should be good with the medical facilities here. Yes, it's cold in the winters, but people are active all four seasons and our park systems provide nice places to enjoy being outdoors. It's a reasonable flight to just about anywhere in the US and as a Delta hub, we've got good connections. State taxes are higher but there is no sales tax on food or clothing, and we believe we see the benefits our taxes provide in education, etc.

persia

Reaction score
Even though I'm a Sydneysider I have to admit Melbourne is tough to beat. Culture, restaurants, and just the ability to get around is admirable. There was a recent report from the OECD that ranked Canberra #1 in the world, but I just can't see a place where the nearest beach is a couple hundred kms away...

But it's hard to beat our city harbour....

capcook22.main_.web_.jpg

If you are open to other options, you might consider this years "liveability index" which crunches 30 factors related to things like safety, healthcare, educational resources, infrastructure and environment in 140 cities.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2014/08/daily-chart-13

20140823_gdc980.png

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a recent report from the OECD that ranked Canberra #1 in the world, but I just can't see a place where the nearest beach is a couple hundred kms away...

Plus there are far too many public servants for my liking :D.

Sydney harbour is one of the nicest places I have sailed.

Last edited:

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, how about Roanoke VA?

Wow, thanks for all the great responses. Ideally we are also looking for somewhere where housing is affordable. We own a small condo in Marco Island and are hoping to be able to hold on to it. I was able to find some interesting information on wages for physical therapists on the bureau of labor statistics web site. It not only breaks it down by states but also by region/ area within each state. Anyone from western VA, Roanoke area? This area is close to 81 and would put us within a reasonable drive to family in the NE and to FL. Looks like you can get a decent house for $250,000 or so, it is near the mountains, moderate amounts of snow, not sure how taxes or schools are (can anyone comment). Thanks!
Lisa

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Wow, thanks for all the great responses. Ideally we are also looking for somewhere where housing is affordable. We own a small condo in Marco Island and are hoping to be able to hold on to it. I was able to find some interesting information on wages for physical therapists on the bureau of labor statistics web site. It not only breaks it down by states but also by region/ area within each state. Anyone from western VA, Roanoke area? This area is close to 81 and would put us within a reasonable drive to family in the NE and to FL. Looks like you can get a decent house for $250,000 or so, it is near the mountains, moderate amounts of snow, not sure how taxes or schools are (can anyone comment). Thanks!
Lisa

As mentioned upthread, the City-data forums will be helpful for you. http://www.city-data.com/forum/roanoke-area/

When our friends moved, their criteria was to live near a major airport for ease of travel, near a university for access to sports and culture, and somewhere within an hour or two of family. I thought that was pretty clever.

FWIW, we looked into moving in the early 90's because our mortgage was killing us. We looked at a specific city in the PNW that was very popular at the time, and was definitely marketed as being a lot less expensive than San Diego. It took awhile to find the relevant information, but it turned out that every cost of living category - except housing - was higher in this city than in San Diego. I never saw that coming. This was back in the day when you had to move up to a more expensive house than you sold to avoid tax on the sale, so we stayed put. I think that checking out the cost of living in a new city is key.

persia

Reaction score
And cost of living is relative to wages as well. In Sydney or Melbourne cost of living is high but so are wages.

15505465232_87d0833e0b_b.jpg

Last edited:

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii

But you can forget the snow shoveling. Just change downhill skiing to down wave surfing and enjoy the friendly life style. Homes are expensive but there are lower cost areas on all Islands but not inexpensive. Enjoy the different culture and you could fly out a week each year for snow shoveling. For living costs there are low property taxes,no heating bills or AC if you locate well, minimal clothing bills,low car gas bills as there is little distance to travel. And you live years longer average than any snow shoveling State.
Now the big problem is which Island is best?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
And cost of living is relative to wages as well. In Sydney or Melbourne cost of living is high but so are wages.

In our case it involved a pay cut. Easy decision.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

DW is a RN - moving to either Melbourne or Sydney would involve a tremendous pay cut from here in Spokane where she makes over $45 AU Dollars per hour (when exchanged).

Plus spiders and snakes ----- no thank you please!

http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Registered_Nurse_(RN)/Hourly_Rate/00eb564b/Sydney

http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Registered_Nurse_(RN)/Hourly_Rate/d2d8c86d/Melbourne

I'm retired - so I would get the same pension either way.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Charleston, SC

The Charleston, SC area. Beauty, beaches, history, architecture, the arts, sports, great food and shopping, change of seasons yet mild winters, the Medical University of SC and several other large and smaller hospital systems, colleges and universities It's a wonderful place to live. There is always something going on and if you don't feel like doing anything, there is always sitting in rocking chair or on a joggling board on a porch while sipping some lemonade under the live oak trees over looking a marsh, river, creek or the ocean! It's a magical place to live. The drawback for you would be that you would have to be particular about choosing the school system for your children. We have some excellent public schools and some that do not fare so well when compared with national scores. I was born and raised in Ft Myers, Florida. I've been back just about every year since. I'd never move back to Florida. Charleston offers so much more for us.

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
DW is a RN - moving to either Melbourne or Sydney would involve a tremendous pay cut from here in Spokane where she makes over $45 AU Dollars per hour (when exchanged).

Plus spiders and snakes ----- no thank you please!

http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Registered_Nurse_(RN)/Hourly_Rate/00eb564b/Sydney

http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Registered_Nurse_(RN)/Hourly_Rate/d2d8c86d/Melbourne

I'm retired - so I would get the same pension either way.

Rick, if you are actually interested in moving, it would be worth further investigation. It is difficult to compare the jobs based on $ p/h stats due to differences between the work systems of our countries. Nurses have penalty rates and other benefits.

"In 2012, full-time nursing and midwifery professionals in non-managerial positions earned $1,633.50 per week on average." That average wage amount doesn't include Australia's standard entitlement to a superannuation payment which is currently 9.5%. Full-time employment in Australia requires twenty paid annual leave days (holiday leave), 10 days paid sick/personal/carers leave per annum, 3 months paid long service leave (holiday leave) after 10 years service plus 12 days annually of paid public holidays etc etc etc. As an experienced professional, I think your wife would be able to expect above the 2012 AU average wage.
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4102.0Main+Features20April+2013

As for the spiders, here is my favourite. ;)

220px-Huntsman-spider-in-hand.jpg
The huntsman.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
You might want to consider Las Vegas. Housing is still reasonable, lots of entertainment and restaurants. Major airport enables you to get anywhere. He are headed there as some point.

Of course, you have the hot summer, but low humidity.

Mike

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Might not help you

But,I have to say I love where we live in Cupertino,California. Yes, people say it is expensive but I love the weather, the distance to drive to the ocean or mountains. I love the schools here, the parks, and the pace of life. Traffic can be a problem but planning avoids lots of the problems. Food costs are pretty much the same anywhere we've been. We have 3 airports not very far away and the best part is we go away to vacation and love returning home.
Bart

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
As for the spiders, here is my favourite. ;)

220px-Huntsman-spider-in-hand.jpg
The huntsman.

That begs the question - is that your hand in the picture?

:rofl:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Coeur d' Alene Idaho or neighboring Spokane Washington.

Both are relatively inexpensive COL areas to live....

I lived in Spokane for 4 years and we also owned (but sold) a home on Lake Pend Oreille. Been there, done it. "Heart of the Inland Empire" which is a very extensive farming industry.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
But you can forget the snow shoveling. Just change downhill skiing to down wave surfing and enjoy the friendly life style. Homes are expensive but there are lower cost areas on all Islands but not inexpensive. Enjoy the different culture and you could fly out a week each year for snow shoveling. For living costs there are low property taxes,no heating bills or AC if you locate well, minimal clothing bills,low car gas bills as there is little distance to travel. And you live years longer average than any snow shoveling State.
Now the big problem is which Island is best?

The school system here leaves a lot to be desired. Our property taxes do not go to the school system, it is funded from the state. Quite a few children here are homeschooled or private schools.

As to shoveling snow. In the winter many families take their trucks up to Mauna Kea and come back down the mountain with snow.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
But,I have to say I love where we live in Cupertino,California. Yes, people say it is expensive but I love the weather, the distance to drive to the ocean or mountains. I love the schools here, the parks, and the pace of life. Traffic can be a problem but planning avoids lots of the problems. Food costs are pretty much the same anywhere we've been. We have 3 airports not very far away and the best part is we go away to vacation and love returning home.
Bart

Everything you say is true but you leave out one IMPORTANT piece and that I that you reside in " the land of the million dollar tear downs." I know this first hand a my kids live in San Carlos and I went with them on a few house hunting missions.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything you say is true but you leave out one IMPORTANT piece and that I that you reside in " the land of the million dollar tear downs." I know this first hand a my kids live in San Carlos and I went with them on a few house hunting missions.

Actually most of the million dollar tear downs by me were small,old, almost shacks on huge lots. These were mainly farm workers quarters left from when we had farms here. Gradually they have been replaced and for the most part the neighborhoods look normal again. Luckily in my area most of the people that have bought these properties can afford them and really help and support our local tax base and schools.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Henderson, NV - part of the Vegas valley
Has low crime, great weather, low cost of living, lots of fitness fans and outdoor activity. The only thing is school. There are only a few good public schools. We send our son to an excellent private school. The low cost of living makes it affordable.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Henderson, NV - part of the Vegas valley
Has low crime, great weather, low cost of living, lots of fitness fans and outdoor activity. The only thing is school. There are only a few good public schools. We send our son to an excellent private school. The low cost of living makes it affordable.

Average high in July being 104F might hinder outdoor activity a bit. Near term issues such as electrical cost and WATER could cause some intestinal blockage. :eek: