• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where are some great places to live?

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Based on the OP's original request/post, I'd recommend looking at Denver, CO.

If your looking at some of the highest PT wages in the country, check out Las Vegas, NV (annual mean wage = $124,060). As far as housing in the LV area, I'd recommend either Summerlin in the far West or Green Valley in the SE. We have no state income tax and low property taxes. With all of the medical facilities and hospitals along the I215, including the Summerlin Hospital, the Summerlin area would be a good place to start looking, plus the temperatures are a little cooler because the higher elevation than Henderson, which is the lowest part of the valley. LV is only 4-1/2 hours from the SoCal beaches.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291123.htm#st

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Based on the OP's original request/post, I'd recommend looking at Denver, CO.
I completely disagree. Denver, the Front Range -- heck even all of Colorado is a terrible place to live. We all hate it here and would leave in a heartbeat if we could, and we are extremely unfriendly to outsiders. I think the OP should definitely look anywhere other than Colorado.

;)

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree all the way around. Both Las Vegas and Denver are GREAT places to live. There are no vacancies here in Idaho, and you never met any unfriendlier people. We even check to see that visitors have round trip tickets so they'll leave after we fleece them for all their travel money. Snow is butt deep to a tall Indian, and you have to shovel it until the middle of June and start again in August. The week surrounding 4th of July is so hot, you have to stay indoors sitting on an an ice block. We can't afford air conditioning on our minimum wage jobs. And if the drought doesn't end soon we won't even have the ice blocks. Go Away!

Jim

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually most of the million dollar tear downs by me were small,old, almost shacks on huge lots. These were mainly farm workers quarters left from when we had farms here. Gradually they have been replaced and for the most part the neighborhoods look normal again. Luckily in my area most of the people that have bought these properties can afford them and really help and support our local tax base and schools.

Yes, they have been replaced with $2 million 1400 sq ft homes on 6000 SQL;5 lots!

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
I completely disagree. Denver, the Front Range -- heck even all of Colorado is a terrible place to live. We all hate it here and would leave in a heartbeat if we could, and we are extremely unfriendly to outsiders. I think the OP should definitely look anywhere other than Colorado.

;)

Kurt

I'm only talking about Denver, not all of Colorado. It's like Austin vs the rest of Texas (yuck). I wouldn't say Denver is unfriendly to outsiders since, like Vegas, so many people are from somewhere else. It was a fun place to be when I was younger and it's where I meet my wife 30+ years ago. We just got back from a trip to Denver in August and the people weren't unfriendly, but the traffic did suck big time.

My big negatives with Denver was the snow anytime from September 1st thru Memorial day. Also, because of the snow, there was gravel of some sort on all of the roads especially in the foot hills where I lived, it was to damn far from the ocean, and I hate the cold. But it does offer yearly outdoor activities, snow skiing, other mountain activities, lots of good restaurants, etc. For housing check out the SW area of Denver which is my favorite part of Denver as you get into the foothills. Lots of people live in Aurora, which is east of Denver, but I always called Aurora Kansas.

Probably the biggest negative of Denver for the OP is that PT jobs have a mean yearly salary of $75K/year (+ state income tax), where-as in Vegas it's $125K/year (no state income tax).

Vegas baby :banana:

Last edited:

persia

Reaction score
I haven't done comparisons on health care salaries. IT salaries in Sydney are substantially higher than what I see in Boston, and since I'm in IT we will be much better off in Sydney than Boston. I guess everything is relative....

In our case it involved a pay cut. Easy decision.

mlnuwer

TUG Member
Reaction score
San Diego is a perfect place for healthcare and for a young family. We moved from NY to Silicon Valley and after many yrs, came down here and it is Paradise! Not as expensive as the Bay Area either.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
San Diego is a perfect place for healthcare and for a young family. We moved from NY to Silicon Valley and after many yrs, came down here and it is Paradise! Not as expensive as the Bay Area either.

It all depends. If you're living in Escondido, you're not in San Diego. So it probably is less expensive. Same with the Bay Area. It all depends on where you're living. San Francisco, and some of the burbs around, are very pricey. Others, not so bad.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll throw Wisconsin in the hopper. The state usually ranks in the top three on ACT test scores for its students. Lower cost of living, clean air, and people are generally much more helpful. I grew up on the East coast, occasionally go there for visits, and would never consider moving back. (Sorry, don't mean to offend, but its true.)