• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2015] Boston & Custom House

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I tried searching through the forum for some Boston information and found some things, but couldn't find answers on everything I was looking for.

Go Boston Card
We are in Boston for a week and are considering the Go Boston Card. We have figured out that we would save a lot of money doing this vs. paying a la carte. However, at question is whether to get one seven day pass per person through SmartDestinations or buy two three day passes from Costco. The price of three day passes would be $8.50 more than I can get the one seven day pass. While we would lose a day with the three day pass, it would give us access to two of their "premium" attractions instead of just one with the seven day pass. We are considering the New England Aquarium Whale Watch and one of the Gray Line Boston tours.

Subway
Do we buy a Week LinkPass for $19 or just pay as you go? The Go Boston card includes a two day Hop On Hop Off trolley tour. With two three day passes we would have four days hop on hop off, would that be able to double somewhat as transportation around Boston?

We will need to get from the airport to Custom House and are considering using the subway. Seems easy enough to get there, Blue Line two stops. I have read the arguments of Subway vs. a cab. A lot will depend on how tired we are after our flights. We get in at around 2:30pm.

Breakfast, Bakeries, and Restaurants, Grocery
Does anyone have any great recommendations or not to miss places? I will eat just about anything. DW isn't nearly as adventurous. Perhaps some place to get some breakfast a couple days. We wouldn't mind eating out breakfast a couple times, but probably don't want to do it every day since our evening meal will pretty much always be at a restaurant. So is there anywhere to get some breakfast items to take back to the villa? Perhaps a small grocery or convenience store? Of course we could just stock up on some items at a bakery to keep in the room.

As for restaurants, what are some of your favorites? Irish Pubs, great Italian or pizza? We aren't high rollers, so we aren't looking for gourmet or elegant places.

Custom House
I think we know what we will put in for a villa request, so don't need much information there. Though does anyone know if the observation deck is currently open or closed? Have been reading that it is closed for renovations/repairs. We are traveling the in early June, perhaps it is slated to reopen shortly?

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
When are you going? I may be in Boston tomorrow and stop by the CH for an update on the observation deck and any other info they have.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
When are you going? I may be in Boston tomorrow and stop by the CH for an update on the observation deck and any other info they have.

We arrive June 5th.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried searching through the forum for some Boston information and found some things, but couldn't find answers on everything I was looking for.

Go Boston Card
We are in Boston for a week and are considering the Go Boston Card. We have figured out that we would save a lot of money doing this vs. paying a la carte. However, at question is whether to get one seven day pass per person through SmartDestinations or buy two three day passes from Costco. The price of three day passes would be $8.50 more than I can get the one seven day pass. While we would lose a day with the three day pass, it would give us access to two of their "premium" attractions instead of just one with the seven day pass. We are considering the New England Aquarium Whale Watch and one of the Gray Line Boston tours.

Subway
Do we buy a Week LinkPass for $19 or just pay as you go? The Go Boston card includes a two day Hop On Hop Off trolley tour. With two three day passes we would have four days hop on hop off, would that be able to double somewhat as transportation around Boston?

We will need to get from the airport to Custom House and are considering using the subway. Seems easy enough to get there, Blue Line two stops. I have read the arguments of Subway vs. a cab. A lot will depend on how tired we are after our flights. We get in at around 2:30pm.

Breakfast, Bakeries, and Restaurants, Grocery
Does anyone have any great recommendations or not to miss places? I will eat just about anything. DW isn't nearly as adventurous. Perhaps some place to get some breakfast a couple days. We wouldn't mind eating out breakfast a couple times, but probably don't want to do it every day since our evening meal will pretty much always be at a restaurant. So is there anywhere to get some breakfast items to take back to the villa? Perhaps a small grocery or convenience store? Of course we could just stock up on some items at a bakery to keep in the room.

As for restaurants, what are some of your favorites? Irish Pubs, great Italian or pizza? We aren't high rollers, so we aren't looking for gourmet or elegant places.

Custom House
I think we know what we will put in for a villa request, so don't need much information there. Though does anyone know if the observation deck is currently open or closed? Have been reading that it is closed for renovations/repairs. We are traveling the in early June, perhaps it is slated to reopen shortly?

There are 2 convenience stores on State Street. There is also Starbucks and Au Bon Pain for breakfast items. You can also cross the Greenway and walk to historic North End where there are several bakeries and cafés. Walk along the Greenway to International Place and pop in to Kane's donuts.

I don't know anything about the Boston card but our city is so walkable that you probably do not need weekly T pass. Blue Line from airport is simple but if you are tired, take a taxi.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found the Go Boston card was a mixed bag. There are a lot of discounts on it that you just don't use or aren't really as big a savings as you think. On the other hand because we had it we did a lot more stuff than we normally would have.

I would pay as you go on the subway with a Charlie card. RADMOO is right, it's a very walkable city.

Breakfast at CH was good and free as I recall. There are so many places to eat within a 10 minute walk of CH I couldn't name them all. Everything from Dunkin Donuts to a $65 steak. Stop at the Oyster House if you like history.

We didn't tour Fenway and that was a big mistake. We did take the "Duck" tour and that was a hilarious 1 hr ride. Do take a historical walking tour with a guide in period garb. If you have nice weather walk across the bridge to Old Ironsides and you can take a ferry back to the Long Wharf.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Breakfast is a la carte served on the second floor for a small fee. Coffee and tea and hot chocolate free. Hard boiled egg $1, Bagel, muffins $2, prices of fruit$1. Fruit salad $2. Cereal and milk. Waffles. It was really nice and convenient.

Museum of fine arts free Wednesday evening after 4. Took the train Round trip a bit more then $5. Best Lobster Roll down the street at Chart House for lunch overlooking the harbor.

USS Constitution was going into dry dock the end of April.
Went to the Kennedy Library....really enjoyed it.

Got the two day ticket, did the Harbor tour. http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/

I was there the second week in April.

Last edited:

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can go to breakfast at Quincy Market too. That would be very casual "dining".

Since I'm not aware of the places you want to see, and how far apart the attractions are, it's difficult to say whether you will need to use the T. My husband and I walk a lot when we go into Boston - we rarely use the T anymore. Some people aren't able to walk as much.

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/

The cost of a one way fare on the Charlie Card is $2.10. The cost without a Charlie Card is $2.65. However, when you load a Charlie card, I think you need to add value in increments of $5 or more, but that may be incorrect. When I got my Charlie card, it was difficult to find a location to pick one up. They may have made them more accessible.

The weekly pass will pay off with 4 or 5 round trips. You will be making one trip with your travel to and from the airport.

There is a commuter ferry that will take you across Boston Harbor to various towns. It's nice just for a chance to get out on the water. It appears that it's included in the weekly pass.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
t-card (charlie card)

We got the Charlie card and took the T, buses, ferries for a week. Very easy to use. We even took public transportation to see the Kennedy Library.

Yes, Boston is very walkable, but I would recommend the transportation card.

The tour of Harvard was very interesting. ...free, but you have to make reservations.

Don't forget Mike's Pastry.

WFP

Reaction score
In the North End, we like:
Rabia
Mare Oyster bar
Genarro's 5 North - rigatoni with Sunday gravy
Monica's trattoria
We dislike Mother Anna's

Near the State House:
Beantown Pub

The Quincy market building really does have quite a few good spots including their Pastry Shops if Mike's is too crowded. We really like the Mexican restaurant there, Mija...they serve Elote'...it hard to find that tasty Mexican Street Corn in Massachusetts!

there are guided walking tours offered of the North End and Chinatown. YMMV but we were glad we did them. Informative-yes, worth the cost-maybe. You get a Dim Sum lunch with the Chinatown tour and just some tastings on the North End tour.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We found the Charlie Card to be the best deal for us, and very convenient, and you can use it as you need to. We mostly walked everywhere, but used the T when we went farther distances, like to Harvard community or Newbury St. (shopping mecca). Lots of great little cafes in both areas. Harvard bookstore, known as the Coop, is great. Great sweat shirts.

North End is a very nice walk, and one of our favorite places anywhere---you'll cross the street toward Long Wharf Hotel and go thru the Christopher Columbus Park, then cross Atlantic Ave and walk up Richmond Street to North End and Little Italy---lots of great restaurants. That's a good area to begin your Freedom Trail. At top end of street at Paul Revere's home is a great restaurant called Mama Maria's....very romantic and great food, but definitely need reservations. Second floor window table is superb. Mike's Pastry is awesome in North End.

Also a pretty easy walk along the water in northerly direction to USS Constitution, or south along the water down to James Hook and Co, another fantastic spot for chowder and lobster rolls. Every evening as we walked back after dinner from North End, we stopped at corner of Richmond and North St at V Cirace & Son's wine and spirits store to pick up a bottle of wine----made for a most enjoyable week!!!!

Everybody raves about Neptune Oyster but we liked Union Oyster House far better---the charm and history made the difference (oldest restaurant in America), and the food was fantastic. You'll spot the Kennedy booth if you look toward the back. Legal Seafoods was very good, located across the street adjacent to Long Wharf Hotel (which has a very good breakfast, by the way). Nice hotel!!! We've stayed there and at Custom House and love both.

At base of Custom House is the Black Rose Irish Pub.....enjoyed their food and cheer a lot. Spontaneous Irish folk songs by people at the bar if you're lucky enough to be there when the spirit(s) moves the Irish patrons (and that just might be pretty frequent).

Our favorite restaurant in Boston was Mare Oyster Bar, at intersection across from V Cirace. Amazing food and service. Had our most memorable dinners there two years in a row. Energetic, chic crowd and amazing dishes, especially the Maine Lobster Casserole...OMG!!! To-die-for menu.
http://www.mareoysterbar.com/content/menu.html

Of course there's nothing wrong with grabbing a hot dog or brat at Faneuil Hall Marketplace, or a lobster roll or a pizza or an ice cream cone. All of those, and more, are pretty tasty, too. Lots of fun to walk through there often. Take a horse & buggy ride from there...beautiful. (We took one to Original Cheers Bar in Beacon Hill. Driver had never been that far, but we talked her into it! gorgeous ride right at sunset, had 30 min at bar, returned to beautiful city lights thru Financial district. Wow, what a memory.)

We happened to visit Boston two years in a row in October of 2012 and 2013, when the Fall foliage was peaking all over. Spectacular vistas around every corner, and without a doubt our favorite time to visit. Temps are perfect. Visit Lexington and Concord, Walden Pond, any old cemetery anywhere (especially Copp's Hill, 1 block up hill from Old North Church).
Drive through Sleepy Hollow Cemetery ("Author's Ridge") in Concord, Ma.---- a beautiful place to visit.

If possible drive up the coast to Ogunquit, Maine----you won't regret it----just a spectacularly beautiful little boating/fishing village (popular tourist spot, but awesome)....lobster rolls there are great.

Have fun. Boston is absolutely our newly adopted favorite city....so user friendly and so much to see and do. I have lots more info but it's also easily googled in "Things to do Boston". Duck tour is a YES.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me add:

Sam Lagrassa's for lunch

Sam Adams Brewery tour and tasting room

John Adams historical homes (Quincy)

The water taxi from Long Wharf to Charlestown Navy Yard

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
Stopped by the CH today....the observation deck is closed for repairs til October. Another option for vista views is The Top of the Hub at the top of John Hancock building in Copley Square...easy to get to on the T.

Ahave fun! Quincy Market area (next to the CH) was bustling and a great place to start.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Stopped by the CH today....the observation deck is closed for repairs til October. Another option for vista views is The Top of the Hub at the top of John Hancock building in Copley Square...easy to get to on the T.

Ahave fun! Quincy Market area (next to the CH) was bustling and a great place to start.

The top floor of the John Hancock Tower used to be an observatory but it closed after 9/11 and has since been converted to private office space. Top of the Hub restaurant and the Skywalk Observatory are in the Prudential building, also nearby Copley Square. Good shopping there, too, with the Shops at Prudential Center and Copley Place (a Simon mall.)

The water taxis/ferries have been mentioned to get to the USS Constitution, Kennedy Library, and a few of the waterfront towns north and south. Living here one of our favorite day trips during the warmer weather is taking the boat out to George's Island; check out Boston Harbor Cruises. It's also a good way to do a day trip to Provincetown if you don't want to deal with Cape traffic.

Last edited:

WFP

Reaction score
Harpoon Brewery tour (Seaport District) is fun...get there early to get tickets. Note, tell everyone in you tour group to NOT ask any questions...you get to the bar quicker for your complimentary tastings!

tante

Reaction score
Harpoon Brewery tour (Seaport District) is fun...get there early to get tickets. Note, tell everyone in you tour group to NOT ask any questions...you get to the bar quicker for your complimentary tastings!

Have you gone since they built the bar on the other side of the building?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
You can go to breakfast at Quincy Market too. That would be very casual "dining".

Since I'm not aware of the places you want to see, and how far apart the attractions are, it's difficult to say whether you will need to use the T. My husband and I walk a lot when we go into Boston - we rarely use the T anymore. Some people aren't able to walk as much.

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/

The cost of a one way fare on the Charlie Card is $2.10. The cost without a Charlie Card is $2.65. However, when you load a Charlie card, I think you need to add value in increments of $5 or more, but that may be incorrect. When I got my Charlie card, it was difficult to find a location to pick one up. They may have made them more accessible.

The weekly pass will pay off with 4 or 5 round trips. You will be making one trip with your travel to and from the airport.

There is a commuter ferry that will take you across Boston Harbor to various towns. It's nice just for a chance to get out on the water. It appears that it's included in the weekly pass.

You can add any dollar amount to the card. And you can share one card. Just pass it back to the next person after you go thru. We did it! And a transit worker helped us buy the card.

DCBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you take the boat trip out to George's Island on a tuesday or thursday ask if Charlie Boyer is giving tours that day. My dad just turned 90 and has been a volunteer guide out on the islands for the past 25 years now. Talked to him earlier today and he told me that the state Department of Conservation and Recreation just named a boat that shuttles employees around the islands after him. He's a great guy and would love to have folks ask for him.

Also, I second Sam LaGrassa's in the Financial District for lunch and it's really hard to go very wrong with most of the restaurants in the North End. for dinner.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Boston!

Doug B

zaccaggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOTS of CH on Ebay lately, most gold season, occasionally plat season. most of the gold seasons don't get any bids. the plats go for around 500 or so.

is it just not worth the MF to buy a gold season for a dollar? sounds like there is lots to do and in a great location no matter what time of year you go.

looking for opinions on buying a gold for next to nothing......

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
LOTS of CH on Ebay lately, most gold season, occasionally plat season. most of the gold seasons don't get any bids. the plats go for around 500 or so.

is it just not worth the MF to buy a gold season for a dollar? sounds like there is lots to do and in a great location no matter what time of year you go.

looking for opinions on buying a gold for next to nothing......

The MFs are high for a 1BR unit. Given that, people don't want to buy them as traders. Trading in through DC points is pretty easy and I was able to trade in through II at about a year out for June of this year. If you want to use it for its flexible single night reservation option, then it might be a good buy. Though, if you are going to use it as a week I would suggest just trading in.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for all the tips everyone. We went ahead and bought the two three day Go Boston cards for each of us. So four three day cards total. They were a pretty good deal through Costco and will give us access to two of the special attractions. Here is what we are thinking of using the cards to visit.

Bonus Attractions
Cape Cod Day Tour
New England Aquarium Whale Watch

Other Attractions
Hop On Off Trolley Two Day Pass
Hop On Off Trolley Two Day Pass
Boston Aquarium
USS Constitution Harbor Boat Tour
Harvord Museum of Natural History
Boston TV & Movie Sites Tour
Freedom Trail Walk Into History Tour
House of Seven Gabels

I hope that isn't too aggressive for what is really only six full days in Boston? Priced separately, it is well over $700. Depending on the view we get at Custom House, we may opt for the Skywalk Observatory which is also included in the Go Boston card.

We depart Friday morning for a two day drive up to Portland, ME from where we fly home.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
A heads-up that the USS Constitution may be in dry dock while you're here: USS Constitution Dry Dock FAQ. I think it says that you'll still be able to see her nearby the museum but any onboard/at sea tours will be suspended.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
A heads-up that the USS Constitution may be in dry dock while you're here: USS Constitution Dry Dock FAQ. I think it says that you'll still be able to see her nearby the museum but any onboard/at sea tours will be suspended.

Thanks for the info. I was aware that the USS Constitution is in dry dock. I think they still offer the cruise and it just stops at the museum which is still open. It also offers other highlights in Boston Harbor.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
just in case it was not mentioned:
Go to a redsox game of if they are on a road trip at least take the tour of fenway park. You can buy tickets on Yawkey way in one of the shops. I forgot which one.
Go Sox