• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking at HGVC Tuscany in Orlando

dmanatoz

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing 5,000 points for around $5,500 to $6,000 at Tuscany. Given some of the more recent postings, do you think I can do better? Have you seen fewer ROFR exercised by HGVC.

Also, I'm hearing that some Timeshare groups require you to go to sales presentations everytime you take a trip. Is this true? I don't want to buy a timeshare and then have these kinds of expectations every time I travel.
Also, any recommendations on who I might use for title search?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Dennis

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Welcome to tugbbs. I think the resale price quoted is reasonable. If I were going to purchase a HGVC unit resale, I would go through either Seth Nock or Judy Koslowski. They are both well respected experts on HGVC resales. I paid substantially more when I purchased direct from Hilton. Hilton does not require you to attend sales presentations when you travel.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
You can probably do a little better on the price, as that is on the high side of what Gold season points are going for these days. I am guessing that Tuscany weeks are going for a bit more than other locations -- do you really need to own at Tuscany? If you are just looking for points, you can buy a 5000 point package at any location and still make a reservation at the Tuscany resort.

And no, there is no requirement to atend a sales presentation when you stay at a property. They will ask and entice you to attend an "owner's update", but you are under no obligation to attend. I have never heard of any other timeshare system that forces people to go to a sales presentation. However, if you sign up for a special sales promotion (like $99 for three nights), you generally must attend a sales presentation as a condition of that promotion.

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Hilton does not require you to attend sales presentations when you travel.

True. But if you want, you can go to an "owner update" (a sales pitch). From time to time (no more than 1x every six months), you may get a call from someone in sales who will ask if you want to do an "owner update" and offer a small inducement.

Many of us avoid 'em like the plague, feeling that our time is more valuable. But others seem to salivate at the opportunity to have their ears-boxed and sanity-questioned for the reward of a dog-biscuit. Over the last week, I've ducked 4 calls from HGVC, no doubt to invite me to one of these waterboarding-sessions. Thank God for Caller ID.

But don't get me wrong, the customer-service side of HGVC treats owners, well, like owners, and by that I mean, very well, indeed.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
You can probably do a little better on the price, as that is on the high side of what Gold season points are going for these days. I am guessing that Tuscany weeks are going for a bit more than other locations -- do you really need to own at Tuscany? If you are just looking for points, you can buy a 5000 point package at any location and still make a reservation at the Tuscany resort.
Kurt
There have been several reports of much better pricing for 5000 pt gold units at the other HGVC resorts. BUT you may find that spending the same $6,000 can get you a 1bd plat week worth 4800 pts. You'll basically have the same number of yearly pts but pay the MFs of a 1 bd vs the MFs of a 2 bd

Most people report they don't have problem getting reservations at the Orlando resorts with their points during club season. So there isn't any real reason not to buy at a lower priced resort like HGVC Seaworld.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But others seem to salivate at the opportunity to have their ears-boxed and sanity-questioned for the reward of a dog-biscuit.
Thanks for the chuckle, Talent! You had me laughing out loud! :hysterical:

Kurt

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I would also add that if you in the future want to trade points for a DVC exchange I believe florida units are blocked from trading into DVC.

So perhaps Las Vegas would be a better option for that flexibility

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would also add that if you in the future want to trade points for a DVC exchange I believe florida units are blocked from trading into DVC.

So perhaps Las Vegas would be a better option for that flexibility
That is not the case for HGVC owners. Since we use Hilton's corporate RCI account (vs. a personal account) for RCI trades, there are no restrictions. You can search in this forum -- this has been discussed and confirmed in previous conversations.

Kurt

dmanatoz

Reaction score
Great Information

Thank you all for your replies. You provided me with great information to consider which, for a newbie, brings up many more...LOL.

Given the floating points system, if I plan on buying a set number of points, e.g., 5000 points, what significance does the season play, e.g., Gold? Does this only give me a preference during that season in making reservations over HGVC members with a different season or a different home resort?

Also, I have been looking on E-bay and I'm finding where I can get a lower price, perhaps, but I see Closing Costs of $499 and Resort Transfer Fee of $300 that they are asking the buyer to pay. Are these fees reasonable in your experience? Do you recommend E-Bay or do you feel it's easier to negotiate price through a broker's timeshare resale site?

Thanks again,
Dennis

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The Season that you buy into makes a difference in the following respects:

(a) You get a special "home" reservation period in which to book the same size unit in the same season at your home resort, i.e. 12-9 months from desired check-out date.
--- This is not necessarily a great advantage over the "club" reservation term that starts at 9 mos. out.

(b) Annual MF's at each resort is based on the unit-size, not the season, so a 1BR high-season pays less MF's than a 2BR low-season (at the same resort). This could save you significant $$ over the long haul.

The Closing Costs seem a tad high, but not out of line. The official Transfer Fee is $299.

Last edited:

smokyhill

TUG Member
Reaction score
There have been several reports of much better pricing for 5000 pt gold units at the other HGVC resorts. BUT you may find that spending the same $6,000 can get you a 1bd plat week worth 4800 pts. You'll basically have the same number of yearly pts but pay the MFs of a 1 bd vs the MFs of a 2 bd

That's exactly what we did using Judi Kozlowski to handle the deal for us.
We just closed and got our contract number. (Judi hand carried the deed to Hilton) We plan on calling Hilton in the morning to get our membership number. Can't wait!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

elwilliamson

Reaction score
Tuscany orlando

[Message deleted. Duplicate posts are not permitted. Dave M, BBS Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

smshick

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I confirm

That is not the case for HGVC owners. Since we use Hilton's corporate RCI account (vs. a personal account) for RCI trades, there are no restrictions. You can search in this forum -- this has been discussed and confirmed in previous conversations.

Kurt

Hello,
We bought at International Drive (Tuscany) last year from the developer. Using our bonus developer points, we requested and received an RCI exchange to Disney Saratoga Springs for next July 2010.

Dan_D

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC

Hello ... At HGVC, points are points. The only non-economical reason I found to buy at one particular resort is if you want to go to that particular resort for the same week you buy. Otherwise, the primary consideration for me is purchase price and annual cost. I purchased all of my HGVC properties in Las Vegas as the annual costs were much less than Florida. For example, in 2010: 4800 points at the Flamingo is $717.71, and the LV Hilton is $585.72. (You pay $99 per year extra for your first HGVC membership, not included above.) BUY RESALE. I look at 4800, 5000, and 7000 point packages and they nomally range from $5,000 to $8,000. I have stayed in HGVC Hawaii, Orlando, NYC W57th St, and Las Vegas, not to mention the many RCI exchanges, with absolutely no problems. I have even been able to get Las Vegas for New Years Eve for each of the past four years, which was available to all HGVC members at the time of booking, not just because I own there. One more comment: Call Seth Nock (google him) for true information and an easy transaction. Good luck.