• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Options when TS may not rent?

tandemrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am new to timeshares and renting and need advice on how to proceed if it looks like my timeshare may not rent. I am one for one so far with rentals but may have just been very lucky. My timeshares are [in Hawaii] and so far I have managed to reserve "high demand" weeks.

Just comparing rentals advertised on MRN and Redweek for 2009 and 2010, it seems like there are many more rental listings for 2010 and many are offering the "high demand" weeks! (In fact when I checked the exchange value on RedWeek, it appears that their offers are simply based on supply and demand at their site. Weeks typically identified as high demand weeks were not offered as many points if there were already a good number of people advertising those weeks.) Also, there appear to be tonns of competition for Hawaii vacation rentals on Craigslist in cities where I have looked. These impressions have made me less confident that I will be so successful in the future.

I don't currently belong to Interval International because I am only interested in renting than exchanging my timeshares at this time. I realize that I could always join II to give me more options when it looks like a week won't rent but that would be my last choice since I can't rent those weeks.

How often do timeshares rent less than 60 days from check in? (60 days is the limit that Marriott owners have to cancel reservation and pick another week in same year.)

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Banking is probably your only realistic option. If you don't want to pay to join interval, you can try an independent exchange system such as SFX. Some of the smaller exchange systems can be far less expensive than the big two- RCI and II..

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can:

Choose to go on vacation yourself using your week. (Always an option up until the end).

Reserve a new date as you've stated to extend the period to find a renter.

Deposit with the exchange company of your choice to "SAVE" the vacation opportunity for future use. Requiring you to stay on top of the last date that your week could be deposited. I would consider Redweek as an option.

You could direct exchange your week with another owner which would give you a different vacation week to use.

You could roll the dice and keep you week advertised beyond the date for deposit and if necessary lower your price to make the week more attactive.

Many resorts rent at less than 60 days out. BUT, there is always the possibility that the week will not rent and you will have to use it or lose it.

denverbob

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a renter of timeshares from RedWeek and TUG, I think most of the timeshares rent within the 60 day window.

You can be successful in renting on RedWeek if you keep your price lower than others. We just rented a nice resort (about 30 days out) for $1000 on RedWeek when there were 3 other ads for the same week for $1400 and $1500. The renter said she had about 6 requests for her week. We were able to jump on it quickly.

I suspect that as time gets nearer, the higher rentals willl either lower their price to match the 'going rate' or will use or bank their week.

I know Hawaii tends to have high MF, so trading may not be a great option for you (you will never trade into as nice a unit as you own).

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
It's frustrating, I know firsthand! I also reserved a prime week at my resort to rent, and luck isn't with me, either. I have about another six weeks to get it rented, then I will have to cancel the date I have and get another date. I hate to deposit into any exchange company, but if I have to do it, I will. If I get a date in the fall, I have little chance of renting. I did reserve it for a prime summer week. We will soon see. I advertise it daily on Craig's List.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always have two units for rent for early March, and I started to get a little worried this year, having no inquiries at all. Just as I was starting to panic and look into late deposits I got deluged with inquiries, about 2 1/2 weeks out. I rented them satisfactorily and I even had an inquiry from a woman looking for two units just after I completed the rental process for the second week.

With a Hawaii week you should be OK, but check with Hawaii Timeshare Exchange, they give bonus weeks for Hawaii deposits.

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't grab the holiday weeks unless I can use it. If you buy a timeshare you want to use for your family every year you never have a problem.
By picking the week you want if not rented or exchanged you can still use it and lose nothing.:ponder:

PHILL12

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have quite a few Colorado ski weeks I reserve and rent and a some in other areas (none are in Hawaii) and a lot of them, probably most, rent within 60 days of check some within 30 days. I reserve all of mine during March spring break. I list them on all sites that are free or low cost (Craigslist daily, Redweek, TUG, Ebay (buy it now with make an offer option), Myresortnetwork.com, vacationtimesharerentals.com) and inside of 60 days I reduce the price. Got all of them rented this year. I think the key is listing them on lots of sites and keeping your price below the competition (there is usually someone who is way under the market and if there is only one of them I ignore that one). I also put my phone number in the listing so they can call - scammers don't due this. Also, you should monitor the Getaway weeks on Interval - sometimes they will offer a really low price on nice resorts and it's hard to compete with them. I suspect that due to high airfare, you don't get as many rentals in Hawaii within the last few weeks as other areas but might be wrong about that. All of mine are not far from SW Airlines cities.