• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sunset Cove still affiliated with HGVC or Not?

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am reposting this under a new thread.

Sunset Cove trades with Registry collection. It is also listed on HGVC site as one of the affiliate resorts. I emailed one of the HGVC sales rep and she confirmed that it is still with Hilton

But I heard from many other TUG sources that this affiliation is discontinued. Anybody knows for sure?

I just purchased (via ebay) a 3 bedroom winter week and it would be great if I can convert the week into HGVC points if needed.
Thanks

CJinPHX

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, you're the one who got that 9600 platinum week for less than 4K? I couldn't believe they didn't put the Hilton info in the listing. I almost went after that one for the points, although the maintenance is high. I would call Sunset Cove. I'm staying there in May with HGVC points and haven't heard of any change. I'll post when I get back if I find out anything new.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Like the rest of us, the HGVC sales-perp can look in HGVC docs and see it listed as a resort which HGVC-members may reserve, but that does not mean that HGVC is currently accepting memberships from there. Its not always reciprocal. That depends on their contractual relationship.

I suggest that you call the HGVC (800-932-4482) and ask to speak with someone who handles affiliate memberships to see if they'll accept one from you. Alternatively, contact Sunset Cove member services to see if they can process one for you. There is a $399 activation fee.

Last edited:

rosie

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year I sent my family to Sunset Cove in May on HGVC points. I was told then that Sunset Cove would be discontinuing their affiliation(the decision of the resort)but whether that all played out-I am not sure.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It certainly display's in their "collection" of resorts on the member website, but it DOES NOT show in the on-line reservation system either as a destination or open season offering.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Just because a resort shows up in the "resort collection", it doesn't necessarily mean owners of that resort can join HGVC. It just means that HGVC members can make reservations at those resorts using HGVC points.

For example, the Club Intrawest properties show up in the HGVC resort collection, but CI owners are definitely not HGVC members.

Kurt

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update - there goes the neighborhood

Got a call today from Summer Bay resort sales rep (after my email inquiry to Sunset Cove regarding interest in buying a new unit from the developer and for information regarding the HGVC affiliation). The rep told me that the sunset cove got purchased by the Summer Bay resorts (Yuk!) and exclusively trades with the registry collection. He was unable to comment on what happens to existing owners who already purchased with HGVC value in mind and he was unable to comment on if this benefit (HGVC) will be available to resale owners or not. He will get back to me with more information on this. I am not holding my breath! He was trained to talk about "registry collection" and not much else...

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Got a call today from Summer Bay resort sales rep... He was unable to comment on what happens to existing owners who already purchased with HGVC value in mind and he was unable to comment on if this benefit (HGVC) will be available to resale owners or not...

Existing owners who are currently HGVC members could rightfully claim a vested interest... they pay a $399 initiation fee and annual dues in reliance upon a permanent membership.

HOWEVER, memberships that originate from affiliated-resorts are not transferable to new owners (they only transfer automatically at "true" HGVC-developed resorts). Each new owner at an affiliate must initiate a new membership. Thus, HGVC is likely to say, "Sorry, we're don't accept new members from that resort."

smokyhill

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a week booked there thru HGVC the 2nd week of October. Do we have anything to worry about? :( Would they still honor previously booked reservations? We're planning on a 3bdrm plus to take the kids and spouses on a family vacation.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a week booked there thru HGVC the 2nd week of October. Do we have anything to worry about? :( Would they still honor previously booked reservations? We're planning on a 3bdrm plus to take the kids and spouses on a family vacation.

You have nothing to worry about. The issue is whether somebody who buy sunset cove resale will be able to convert their ownership into Hilton points. All original owners (from developer sales or resales in the past) had the option to join HGVC if they wanted. The option seems to be taken away from resales now as the ownership of sunset cove has shifted to Summer bay resorts.

Last edited: