• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sold another week via a bulletin board ad at our local Mexican food restaurant

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I made a flyer, added pictures, and had two inquiries. The second person signed a contract. They paid through Paypal for the week. :cheer: I am doing my best to sell as many weeks as I can, and this is the second one I have sold this way. I am very pleased to be rid of one of our timeshare weeks. This particular one was at Val Chatelle, a week that rotates around Memorial Day.

If you have weeks to sell, finding a local restaurant with a spot for business cards and flyers is a great way to find someone who thought they couldn't afford a timeshare.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats! You make it sound so easy. I need to start doing this.

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy: If I send you a printable flyer will you post my timeshare for sale? :D

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a really good idea. Congrats.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I think I have had luck with this because we live in Colorado, and the weeks have been in Colorado. I didn't get much for it, that's for sure, but I got the week free, so we basically got a bit more than we paid.

I have tried advertising through Craig's List with no luck whatsoever. I don't think using these bulletin boards at local restaurants is just a fluke thing, now that it's worked twice.

Next, I am going to advertise free weeks at Twin Rivers and see how that goes. If I can get owners for about a dozen weeks, I would feel good about that. :cheer: I haven't tried it, but I think it will work just fine.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Cindy, This is a great idea. I never would have thought of it.

Did you put your phone number or only an e-mail address on the flyer?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's a very local place, so I put my phone number on the ad. The place is 1 mile from our house.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Over the years as I have readjusted my ownerships on the OBX, I have used the local auto / boat bargain hunter newspaper, which also has a section for other things, to sell several weeks locally in eastern North Carolina and got decent prices for them. And the ads were free if the item was priced below $2,000.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I made a new flyer to sell three of our Foxrun weeks. I am having Rick post them at the fire dept credit union, too. I hope this works for us!

Two sold off of a local restaurant's bulletin board is no longer a fluke to me.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a good idea. I am going to try it when I sell my last timeshare next year.

Wow, only one time share left and selling it next year. You might be my new hero!

I bought so many when times were good that I can't even imagine not worrying about MF's, assessments, booking floating weeks at 8 am one year in advance, renting excess weeks, exchanging for weeks I need, etc, etc,etc. I need to sell many weeks but hate to take the whupping that selling this year entails. I have loved timesharing for years and still love the idea of timesharing, but to no longer own any weeks is sounding better and better. :rolleyes:

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy,

Nicely done.

This is just one of several creative ways that timeshares can be advertised to folks that have no idea about the timeshare resale market or the low cost inventory that exits via internet sites.

If you can connect to folks that have been to timeshare presentations and like the concept but were put off by the developer prices, you can do very nicely for yourself.

If you can find retail buyers from the developer who know nothing about the resale market you can do even better.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My goal is to just get rid of some of our weeks. I am planning to make more use of these bulletin boards in the future.

I sold this week for only $500, including the closing costs, which are done at the resort. I think the week is worth more, but sometimes you have to let go! That's a hard lesson to learn. I have had opportunities to sell other weeks but thought they deserved more $$$ so turned people DOWN.:eek:

Another hard thing for me is keeping myself off of ebay. The bargains there are crazy, and I don't need anymore timeshares. Rick would love to delete my account. :D

Being a timeshare addict is tough! And none of my friends understand my hobby.

Art4th

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your success.

I have tried advertising through Craig's List with no luck whatsoever.

This surprises me, only because I have sold five of my timeshares in the past year on craigslist...all for a pretty decent price. I'm not in any hurry so I just bide my time and keep re-posting the ad every two or three weeks to keep it fresh.
I may have to try the "local flyer" angle with the one I have left to sell, although mine isn't local to my area so it may not work as well.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Congrats on your success.

This surprises me, only because I have sold five of my timeshares in the past year on craigslist...all for a pretty decent price. I'm not in any hurry so I just bide my time and keep re-posting the ad every two or three weeks to keep it fresh.
I may have to try the "local flyer" angle with the one I have left to sell, although mine isn't local to my area so it may not work as well.

Good for you Art!
ARE YOU POSTING IN YOUR AREA cRAIG'S LIST...oops! Or the area where the TS is located - say Caribbean or Florida???

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for you Art!
ARE YOU POSTING IN YOUR AREA cRAIG'S LIST...oops! Or the area where the TS is located - say Caribbean or Florida???

I haven't sold any timeshares this way, but when I've been looking to buy, I look in the area around the timeshare and in the two or three nearest large metropolitan areas. Posting on Craigslist is free, so you might as well put the ad in several places.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I made a new flyer to sell three of our Foxrun weeks. I am having Rick post them at the fire dept credit union, too. I hope this works for us!

Two sold off of a local restaurant's bulletin board is no longer a fluke to me.
I think we forget because of ALL we know here, what we want to get rid of is not that attractive to this group.
But for other people just getting into timesharing - it is a great opportunity to own nice locations at reasonable prices.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I haven't sold any timeshares this way, but when I've been looking to buy, I look in the area around the timeshare and in the two or three nearest large metropolitan areas. Posting on Craigslist is free, so you might as well put the ad in several places.

Stay away from the PoCoNo Craig's List!
And since they don't allow multiple postings, you have to be 'trickie' and tweak your listing to post in several areas.

mitchandjeanette

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG Member Newsletter 6/3/2010

Hey... you made the newsletter... :)

TUGGER sold timeshare with unorthodox marketing strategy - Mexican Restruaunts!

Happytravels

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
WTG!!!!!!!!!!!

We would also like to do this........We have way too many and we need to change up our portfoilo..........Thanks for the tip

Art4th

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for you Art!

I only post in the area where the timeshare is located. I've never double-posted in other areas, and like I said earlier, I re-post the ad every two or three weeks to keep it current.

Last edited:

Art4th

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we forget because of ALL we know here, what we want to get rid of is not that attractive to this group.
But for other people just getting into timesharing - it is a great opportunity to own nice locations at reasonable prices.

Exactly. I sold one of mine for $1500 to a guy who had just contracted to buy the same one for $8000 from the developer. He rescinded, then bought mine. I got a decent price and he saved $6500. Everybody wins.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just paid a small fortune to Redweek to list my four Marriotts for sale. I put very realistic prices on them but in this market who knows if they will sell. I like your idea. I wish I'd seen it before I paid all that money to Redweek.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just paid a small fortune to Redweek to list my four Marriotts for sale. I put very realistic prices on them but in this market who knows if they will sell. I like your idea. I wish I'd seen it before I paid all that money to Redweek.

Somehow, I don't think your Marriotts will fall into the "Mexican Restaurant" price point :ignore:
If you are realistically priced, you could sell on Redweek.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I don't think your Marriotts will fall into the "Mexican Restaurant" price point :ignore:
If you are realistically priced, you could sell on Redweek.

I agree. I was thinking of listing my Bluegreen points and my Foxrun weeks. These two would fit the Mexican Food Bulletin Board criteria. However, I get great trades with FR and I use BG each year for Branson. I am torn.. I don't really need them. I have too many.