• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale vs Through Starwood?

ajolder

Reaction score
We are seriously considering purchasing a Starwood TS and am weighing pros and cons of purchasing via resale market. Right now our primary interest is the Westin Kierland Villas. When purchasing through SW I understand I obtain a fixed number of options which I may then use at any of their 19 resorts, up to the number of options I have (let's ignore rolling over for now). My question is, if I purchase though resale, does the system work the same? That is, will SW be informed of my purchase and will I be able to use the corresponding options in the same manner I could if I purchased directly from SW??? I want the flexibility to choose a location and time suitable to my schedule, providing I stay within the options budget. I don't understand why some resale listings describe the specific week or season, as well as the number of options. Of course I don't get a straight answer from SW when I ask them this, so I thought I'd get feedback from the group. Appreciate your feedback.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My question is, if I purchase though resale, does the system work the same? That is, will SW be informed of my purchase and will I be able to use the corresponding options in the same manner I could if I purchased directly from SW?
You only get Staroptions on a resale with a handful of resorts, and WKV is one of them. The Staroptions work exactly the same way on a resale.

I recommend that you read the Starwood FAQ at the top of the forum - it has a comparison of buying resale vs. developer - then come back and let us know what questions you have.

I don't understand why some resale listings describe the specific week or season, as well as the number of options.

Because the deeded weeks either have a season, or in a few cases, a fixed week on them, and for ID purposes, it's important to know what you are buying. The Staroptions also vary from season to season.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Virtually the only perk you give up by buying resale at WKV is the ability to convert your week to StarPoints, which is Starwood HOTEL currency. Some people really love the ability to do this, despite the fact that each year that MFs are raised, it becomes less and less of a value (When MFs go up, the number of SPs you remains the same.)

The biggest misunderstanding about the system, IMO, is the mistaken belief that as long as you have enough StarOptions (Starwood TIMESHARE currency), you'll be able to exchange to any other property at your whim. That is not the case. There has to be availabililty, and competition for peak weeks can be very intense. Generally speaking, if you are chained to the school calendar, your experience with SVN may be far less positive than someone who can travel in shoulder or low season.

The other thing to be aware of is that SVN is very limited. There are only about a dozen unique locations, and the top 3 can be very difficult to exchange into. (By contrast, Marriott has ~65 unique locations, IIRC.)

If you're comfortable with those limitations, read on. And welcome.

ajolder

Reaction score
Thanks LisaRex. But the availability issue you refer to, is the same whether you buy direct or through resale - true?

ajolder

Reaction score
Thanks Denise. In your last line you indicate the Staroptions also vary from season to season. Just to clarify: It's the cost (in Staroptions) that varies from season to season (obviously more for a given room in peak season vs slow season). The amount of Staroptions I would purchase (either direct or through resale) is FIXED, based on the deed.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks LisaRex. But the availability issue you refer to, is the same whether you buy direct or through resale - true?

It works the same - what Lisa is saying is that because owners can make HOME resort reservation at 8-12 mos. before check-in, and you can't make a Staroption reservation until 8 mos. before check-in, there may not be any availability at 8 mos. for a Staroption exchange at the most popular resorts.

For instance: on Oct. 12, at midnight eastern, owners could make Staroption reservations for Saturday, [June] 13, 2015. The inventory at Harborside and the Maui resorts was gone in 30 seconds.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Denise. In your last line you indicate the Staroptions also vary from season to season. Just to clarify: It's the cost (in Staroptions) that varies from season to season (obviously more for a given room in peak season vs slow season). The amount of Staroptions I would purchase (either direct or through resale) is FIXED, based on the deed.

The number of Staroptions on a deed is fixed, but it varies from season to season - depending on what season you BUY.

For instance, a Plat season week has more Staroptions than a gold or silver season week, BUT - you pay the same maintenance fee for all 3 seasons.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Correct.

Also - Not only do StarPoints (SPs) stay the same while MFs go up, but SPs also get devalued over time.

The value of the TS depends on _many_ factors (intrinsic and extrinsic) - and these are different for each individual family in matching their vacation/financial needs (which also change over time).

Just be careful with the 'fuzzy' math that is involved which can lead to overvaluation due to intrinsic/extrinsic factors (and human nature… me included ;)).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to clarify for the OP: You don't get Starpoints on a Starwood resale - period.

But as Dave points out, it is almost never a good deal to buy from the developer, and then convert to Starpoints (Hotel points.)

ajolder

Reaction score
Thank you all! My questions/concerns were addressed. IF I purchase at Westin Kierland (whether direct or resale) then the amount of Staroptions associated with that sale are mine to use as I wish, subject to rules and availability of course. Like I said the Starwood folks were not willing to clarify this...... and I am already glad I joined TUG and the forum to help me leverage the knowledge of those who have experience in this process.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ajolder - When you have time, be sure you read the articles at the top of the Starwood Forum - there is a lot of info. there that will help you. Start with the FAQ.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The current WKV HOA offer is for WKV Owners only.

The other thread is discussing what are the attributes to buying WKV via the HOA sale comes down to why but these when you can buy resale (likely for less) as WKV is a SVN Mandatory resort (SOs automatically comes w/ resale - along with the Mandatory SVN fee).
Of course, we do not know their offering price yet - but likely more than resale prices.

ajolder

Reaction score
ajolder - When you have time, be sure you read the articles at the top of the Starwood Forum - there is a lot of info. there that will help you. Start with the FAQ.

Will do Denise. I had perused but most content seemed dated.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Will do Denise. I had perused but most content seemed dated.

When things change, we update the stickies, but updating them doesn't change the original date of the post. You will find that the stickies will answer most of your basic questions - then come back and let us know what questions you still have.

Last edited:

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Dates

It works the same - what Lisa is saying is that because owners can make HOME resort reservation at 8-12 mos. before check-in, and you can't make a Staroption reservation until 8 mos. before check-in, there may not be any availability at 8 mos. for a Staroption exchange at the most popular resorts.

For instance: on Oct. 12, at midnight eastern, owners could make Staroption reservations for Saturday, July 13, 2015. The inventory at Harborside and the Maui resorts was gone in 30 seconds.

I'm a little slow. :confused:
Owners can and do book at midnight 12 mos prior. Isn't Oct 12, 9 Mos prior to July 13 ?? :confused:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry - typo - make that "June 13"

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk