• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX raises exchange fees - did anyone get a notice?

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mark@SFX just confirmed that exchange fees have gone up:

Gold Members: The exchange fee is $189 domestic or international.
Platinum Membership: $159 domestic or international.

This must have just happened recently but I don't see that any notification was provided to members. Did anyone receive a notice?

PS - I have seen some posts that make it seem (to me) that it may be in bad form to post on TUG and TS4MS. Please let me know if this is the case. Doesn't seem clear to me since I am members of both sites.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score

Another Rip-off !

K.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very disappointed about the high increases, which are not even announced to members. I exchanged 2 weeks to Hawaii Oct. 2011, and the exchange fee was $499.00 for a bonus week, plus $199.00 to upgrade to a 2 bedroom. The upgrade fee is $40.00 higher than last year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
PS - I have seen some posts that make it seem (to me) that it may be in bad form to post on TUG and TS4MS. Please let me know if this is the case. Doesn't seem clear to me since I am members of both sites.

It is perfectly fine to post on both sites - many people do!

Although, it's a good practice to ask permission, before you quote someone on another website.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
While it is common practice for some to post the same message on both sites, I would disagree with Denise on this.

I don't do it.

As a member of both sites I don't like seeing the same initial message posted in both. If an adequate reply is not forthcoming in one then post in the other, would be my attitude.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I thought the OP was just asking if people frequent/post on both sites?

durrod

Reaction score
Going back to the original subject. SFX increased the Platinum membership to 299 (three years period). Last time I renew was way less than that. My opinion is they have increased all their fees to much and to fast. They used to be very reasonable and now they are even more than II and close to RCI.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I don't think that even Mark@ SFX knows when fees were increased which is why I'm trying to broaden my question. It would appear that no one was informed of this fee increase.

I also am disappointed.

I just figured out that they stopped including free vacation protection for Platinum member exchanges as well. Used to be included. Also, no notice.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
While it is common practice for some to post the same message on both sites, I would disagree with Denise on this.

I don't do it.

As a member of both sites I don't like seeing the same initial message posted in both. If an adequate reply is not forthcoming in one then post in the other, would be my attitude.
That would be appropriate if you're asking a question, but if you're posting what might be considered an announcement, it would be appropriate to post to both sites. While there are many who are members of both sites, there are also many who only belong to one or the other. By posting to both sites, you pass the information on to all members of both groups.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I'm pretty upset about the increases in fees and membership. I see very little value with SFX. Some will come to this thread and defend SFX all over the place, including a shill for the company, who posted here before when I said something about their inability to get me exchanges.

Mark was pretty mean (on TS4MS) to one TUG member, posted the history of her requests, and really tried to make her seem unreasonable, but without seeing inventory online, how can you possibly know what to expect from the company.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Thanks for posting this. No, I didn't receive a notice; and no, I don't often read the other site.

SFX has been a complete waste for me. I deposited a great SoCal summer week with them in response to a 3-for-1 bonus offer and have gotten nothing in return. I won't use them again. Mistake made, lesson learned.

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score

This must have just happened recently but I don't see that any notification was provided to members. Did anyone receive a notice?

No, I did not receive any notification. Today, I sent a separate email to SFX inquiring about the increase. I have had successful exchanges with SFX - exchanged a 2BR platinum unit at Marriott Grande Vista for a 2 bedroom unit Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Village for spring break 2010, exchanged a 2 BR summer Eagle Crest week for a one bedroom at the Manhattan Club for the week of July 4, 2010, and used a bonus week to obtain a 1BR unit at Polo Towers for my mom to attend a convention in July 2010.

Just received a response to my email. The increase was effective June 1, 2010.

Last edited:

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope, they hit us on the 24th of May

With the new fee, also without any notice.
I am not sure what to think about this rapid increase in fees. Looking back to 2005, the Platinum fee was $99,then in 2007 it went to $129, now $159. I know everybody needs to make a living, I guess I wish I have received a little notice. Greg

Just received a response to my email. The increase was effective June 1, 2010.

durrod

Reaction score
But is not only the exchange fees. It's also membership fees (higher than yearly II and RCI), upgrades fees, bonus weeks fees, etc.... and no online ability to look for weeks. No longer a lower alternative to the big two.:(

blr666

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received a response to my email. The increase was effective June 1, 2010.[/QUOTE]

Funny, my exchange came through on June 1st and I was told that the rate increase happened several weeks before. I wonder if they held off matching me until June 1st? Mummmm....

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
What is the most annoying about the exchange fee increase is the lack of communcation from SFX, when you have an exchange request entered. You have no idea what's going on.

I joined Hawaiian Timeshare Exchange because their exchange fees are $129, their membership fee is $199 for five years, and they have oodles of Hawaii weeks. For those who love Kona Hawaiian Village, htse.net has dozens of weeks for 2011, just added. Deposit a red week and have your choice.

Trading Places Maui doesn't charge a membership fee at all. They have inventory online to view, but less than Hawaiian.

Trading Places has great inventory as well, all over, including lots of weeks in Mexico.

Platinum Interchange is a great site, too, and don't forget DAE. All are less expensive, and all have the ability to search online.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
SFX has been a complete waste for me. I deposited a great SoCal summer week with them in response to a 3-for-1 bonus offer and have gotten nothing in return. I won't use them again. Mistake made, lesson learned.

I had very similar experience. Other than their promotional offers in Mexico, their record was useless. Like you said, lesson learned.

qb_bc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with SFX. I have a Big Island and a Maui exchange confirmaed for 2011, consecutive weeks. Both exchanges are very good, I believe. It must be luck of the draw.

But it does make you wonder if you will get a match when you put a request in. Will it, or won't it?

Reading all of the comments on all exchange companies, I'm glad I like my home resort.