• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

fair price for resale (Hilton Hawaiian)?

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Not actively looking but always browsing and we go to Hawaii every year (not always Oahu) for a week at a time. We have two young kids and lots of vacation time and lots of family in Hawaii and we have liked HHV when we've stayed before (twice). We prefer Oahu to the other islands because of the diversity of the food and our family being located there.

On Ebay now is a 2 BR at Lagoon Tower. Annual usage, platinum season (floating weeks 1-18, 23-35, 42-52), 7000 points, and MF of $1442.

In addition to the winning bid are usual fees $835 plus "annual club dues charged by HGVC between $136 and $175 per year" and "$250 points activation fee per unit."

OK, walk me through this:

Does this mean I could *not* use this unit between 19-22 and 36-41? Those are lower demand weeks in general; or does it just mean that my unit offers me access to higher demand weeks and that I could (if I wanted) "trade down"?

What are 7000 points good for? How easily would I be able to exchange those for a week on another island?

What is a reasonable/fair price to pay (excluding the above fees)?

I thought Hawaii MFs tended to be high but these seem low. Explanation?

Thank you!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Platinum weeks would be your home season, you could reserve at 12 months prior. The other weeks are gold, you could book those at 9 months, along with every other HGVC owner using their points. 7000 points gets you a 2 br at most resorts, high demand weeks. It could be stretched in gold season, using 1br, to two weeks ( you can get 1 br gold for 3400 a week). Fees are relative, Vegas and some Florida have 7000 point fees around $1000.

The platinum 7000 at HHV is a standard unit, there are plus and premier that have better views. You could book a premier view in gold, that is also a 7000 point unit. Premier at Lagoon is the front stack looking over the lagoon.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this mean I could *not* use this unit between 19-22 and 36-41? Those are lower demand weeks in general; or does it just mean that my unit offers me access to higher demand weeks and that I could (if I wanted) "trade down"?

What are 7000 points good for? How easily would I be able to exchange those for a week on another island?

I thought Hawaii MFs tended to be high but these seem low. Explanation?

I don't know about pricing, but I can help answer these questions.
You can book any week you want. If you buy what you posted, you have priority home resort booking for the platinum weeks listed. You can book those weeks 12 months ahead of time. Should you choose to book a different week, you will book at the most 9 months ahead of time, along with everyone else in the HGVC system. If you book a gold week, you will have leftover points.

If you exchange in RCI, you will use 4800 points to book a 2 bedroom on another island. You will have leftover points. You could also do a direct trade with someone who owns on another island or exchange week for week in a smaller exchange company.

Hawaii MFs are high. You could buy in Las Vegas and pay $400. less for the same 7,000 points every year. There are other timeshares in Hawaii that have much higher MFs than Hilton.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just sold a 2BD 7000 point Gold Season OF EOY in the Lagoon Tower for $12,500.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
The HHV is one of the hardest HGVC locations to book. I don't own there, but if I was going to buy there, i think i would try to purchase the unit / season I planned to use most often.

You pay a premium to own there, so in my mind it only makes sense to buy there if i planned to use the 12 month booking window.

That said, we are going next May, and I was able to get the room and days i wanted.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I just sold a 2BD 7000 point Gold Season OF EOY in the Lagoon Tower for $12,500.

That is a good price for an EOY, may I asked if you used a broker?

I own the same, didn't think it would fetch that much. Maybe because it's a premier unit, which are hard to find and may be sold out.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a good price for an EOY, may I asked if you used a broker?

I own the same, didn't think it would fetch that much. Maybe because it's a premier unit, which are hard to find and may be sold out.

I was contacted by a broker. I also didn't believe it would get that price.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the info. Overall it sounds like if I wanted to stay in platinum season at HHV at least every other year, this purchase could be a good value for us, since we can use the other years to stay at outer islands, possibly with leftover points, though probably not during Platinum season (since those would presumably go first to direct owners at those resorts at the 12 month mark)?

In fact would it be fair to say that outside of my home resort (HHV), I would be hard pressed to get platinum weeks at high demand resorts because I will always be booking at 9 months rather than 12 months?

Seems if I want to stay HHV every year and could plan our vacation at least 12 months in advance, this would be a pretty good value. HHV 2 BR hotel rooms are currently about $650 per night, and I would get the same for an annual MF of about 1/3 that. The sunk costs up front aren't nothing, but over 20 years would amortize to still be quite a bit less than the per night cost, even considering opportunity cost and inflation. However if I don't plan to go to HHV nearly every year in platinum season, the value proposition can trail off pretty quickly because the MFs in Hawaii are higher than even other HGVC properties, and I would never have 12 month priority in any other location?

The price on this unit is around $15k, seems surprising given the EOY unit upthread which sold for $12,5k.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
In fact would it be fair to say that outside of my home resort (HHV), I would be hard pressed to get platinum weeks at high demand resorts because I will always be booking at 9 months rather than 12 months?

You should consider this a little bit more -- HHV is the one property that is most difficult to book, thus why people buy HHV. Even so, I've had good luck booking into HHV 9 months out for 1BR or 2BR units, in the Plus category.

I think you can book into almost any other HGVC unit 9 months out -- and HHV is possible, just needs to be booked right at 9 months.

I hope that helps!

Best,

Greg

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Overall it sounds like if I wanted to stay in platinum season at HHV at least every other year, this purchase could be a good value for us, since we can use the other years to stay at outer islands, possibly with leftover points, though probably not during Platinum season (since those would presumably go first to direct owners at those resorts at the 12 month mark)?

Hilton only has timeshares on 2 islands, Oahu and Big Island. You will need to use an exchange company for other islands.

HHV is the most difficult to book. If you really want to stay there every couple of years, I think it would be worth it to own there. The question is what week(s) would you want and in which unit type. Because only booking your exact unit type in the season you own will give you the 12 month booking window. Anything else, you'll be booking at 9 months like everyone else.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can I rent out my unit?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Can I rent out my unit?

For reasons I've never fully understood, HHV is not considered a great renting property. I think it's because it can be accessed by HGVC point users, who might depress the rental pricing. So, Yes, you can rent out your unit, but you may not make a significant profit on it.

As an example, I know a couple people who will rent their 2 BR Plus units for $2,500 -- not a huge premium over the MF of approx $1,500.

This would suggest a 2BR Standard (which would be the 7,000 point unit) might rent for $2,000 - $2,100?

Best,

Greg

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was thinking one option would be EOY use at a time we want to go - holidays, or spring break, or summer - and then EOY rent at peak season (holidays or spring break, typically) and that we could do ok that way. This would be more of a Plan B than a plan A. We have lots of vacation time and could always plan to trade to another resort in the odd years, but I do know that during spring break in Oregon and Washington, room rates in Hawaii tend to be extraordinarily high (as are flights - $1200 each from PDX/SEA rather than the usual $400-$500).

jonevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
HHV but what building

There is 3 different building and a new one being build so have you ask your self what building should i buy?

Old and less point per stay or newer building and more modern and more points.

2 bedroom cost upto 12500 points per week @ the grand hawaiian
I spent 9000 points for a week in the lagoon tower

You need to know what you want first then buy what you want to use.

Best to rent a room or two next time there and then you can make a real decision