• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Annual vs. Bi-annual

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any disadvantages to purchasing a bi-annual (7k) vs. an annual (14k)?

Also, if I am a current HGVC owner and if I purchase another HGVC deed, are there any fees that I only pay once? Club dues?

Thanks all!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if your post is what you are asking. There is a difference between the biennial and annual because you'd get 7K every other year vs. 14K every year. I am wondering if you mean 14K biennial and 7K annual instead.

At any rate, the EOY takes away one of the features of HGVC which is the ability to bank/borrow to take 3 years of points in one year if needed. You would still be able to use 2 years of points with bank/borrow on a biennial account.

You will only pay one club dues per year no matter how many contracts you have. I do get billed twice, but a phone call removes one of the charges for me.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
For the reason that Presley articulated, I would rather own a 7K Annual versus a 14K EOY.

Either one should be a sufficient number of points, but the Annual will be easier to use.

Best,

Greg

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if your post is what you are asking. There is a difference between the biennial and annual because you'd get 7K every other year vs. 14K every year. I am wondering if you mean 14K biennial and 7K annual instead.
Oops. Yes, you're right.

I also didn't realize about the bank/borrow option in which I enjoy the feature with my current HGVC TS.

Thanks!

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
If you already have an hgvc ts then you are shielded from the biggest problem with a biennial, which is that you run into the case where you are a few credits short of being able to make a reservation. I don't know how many times I've run into planning a reservation and I'm 100 or 200 credits short and I can't borrow them from next year since I don't get credits next year, very frustrating. If you have an annual and add a biennial to it its not such an issue. I will probably end up either picking up an opposite biennial or a small annual at some point to smooth things out.

Ian

chavisc

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I want to see if I have things clear but I do have one question I'm not sure about related to bi-annual points.
If I own say EVEN of 10,00 points, does the points work for 2 years before having to bank them or do you still have to bank your points before the end of the EVEN year?

So lets say I don't use my points in the EVEN year, can I use them in the ODD year and borrow points from my upcoming EVEN year? I'm guessing I can do that, but would have to bank the original EVEN year points first. Is that correct?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
I want to see if I have things clear but I do have one question I'm not sure about related to bi-annual points.
If I own say EVEN of 10,00 points, does the points work for 2 years before having to bank them or do you still have to bank your points before the end of the EVEN year?

So lets say I don't use my points in the EVEN year, can I use them in the ODD year and borrow points from my upcoming EVEN year? I'm guessing I can do that, but would have to bank the original EVEN year points first. Is that correct?
Yes.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
if you don't use your points in the even year they are issued, you have to pay to save them into the next odd year
It makes you wonder what % of points expire before ever being used?

Chris-ATX

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
Are there differences in MF between 7K annual and 14K EOY?

I know when we first started, we did EOY and the MF were not half of what we see with the annual points.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I know when we first started, we did EOY and the MF were not half of what we see with the annual points.
My HGVC EOY deed is the same as the annual but is paid only every other year. As I understand it there are other HGVC resorts that charge half EOY instead (I have a MVC deed that does this).

What might have thrown you is that HGVC Club dues must be paid every year no matter if you own only EOY or not - so you might have been paying HGVC slightly more than half of what an annual deed owner would have paid. It just wouldn't have been the MFs.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Typically not when all things are equal. You do have to pay club dues EY regardless.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
My HGVC EOY deed is the same as the annual but is paid only every other year. As I understand it there are other HGVC resorts that charge half EOY instead (I have a MVC deed that does this).

What might have thrown you is that HGVC Club dues must be paid every year no matter if you own only EOY or not - so you might have been paying HGVC slightly more than half of what an annual deed owner would have paid. It just wouldn't have been the MFs.
and that is the drawback to an EOY deed

We don't mind as we have several deeds.

EOY was our first deed because it was so cheap. not unhappy with it. Do have to plan ahead to know when you're borrowing.

Last edited: