• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Currently in Village D'ile de France

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
Next year try Marriott Son Antem in Majorca - not so hot as southern Spain and some great beaches within a short car trip and the villa pools are very children friendly - as are the hotel and SPA pools.

I agree Son Antem is a great resort with little ones. It has the very best indoor pool IMHO. Also there are great little excursions such as the train from Palma to Soller, the Drach Caves, the mountain drives, and es Trenc beach was voted europe's most beautiful beach. It is lovely. My two were 3 and 5 when we went and they loved it.

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
A word of advice....... don't sleep with your windows open here. We have all been ravaged by mosquitos overnight. I was not a pleasant sight this morning lounging by the pool with a multitude of what look like boils on my arms and back. I managed to swat 11 this morning and the windows remain firmly shut with the air con on (as much as I dislike it).

I don't understand why you would sleep with the windows open, that is what the aircon is for.

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
Thanks for the information! For reference, when does the summer holiday for schoolchildren typically begin in England? Do you know when it begins in France? Our daughter's school ends the last week of May, so I'm wondering if early June would be less crowded than midsummer (she actually starts back to school next week, so I'm wondering if school holidays in the US start earlier and end earlier than in Europe).

I'm glad to hear that there's so much to do at the Marriott - that's definitely where we would want to stay!

It depends, the first week of June is school holidays for the UK (we get a one week holiday at the end of May or beginning of June dependent on the year). It can be quite busy.

School holidays in the US do start earlier and end earlier in the US overall though. AS to go, it depends on your priorities. early June is mobbed by Americans and Asians, so it can be busy (though not as much as when the European and Middle Eastern schools are on a break). If Disney is your main priority, I would say go in late July (avoiding Bastille Day - July 14th). Although there are more people off, there is more going on e.g. the parks are open until 11pm, have more parades and fireworks (there are no fireworks at DLP except Summer and New Year's Eve, with a special show on Lake Disney in early November). Also Provins has more living history and Veau leVicompte on August Saturday nights is open evenings with the gardens candle lit with live classical music. As a jet lagging american, these can be real bonuses. Just be sure to book Louvre tickets, Versaille Tickets and Eiffel Tower tickets in advance to avoid the crowds (Paris is crowded pretty much year round) - if you do not do it before you leave home, there are PCs and printers in the club house and bar, as well as a conceirge, and a tourist info office outside Disneyland Paris train station.

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
This gave me quite a chuckle as I was in London twice this summer to visit new granddaughter. OUCH, UK is pricey , especially when changing US $. Is the pound exchange to Euro equally horrible? As much as we Americans complain about costs rising, things here are a bargain compared to what they cost "across the pond" and on the continent.

Still and all, traveling abroad still ranks high on my bucket list :)
BTW, grandbaby with parents in tow have returned stateside from a wonderful 1 year stint overseas :)

Congratulations on becoming a grand parent. Some things are more expensive here (Diesel is $10 a gallon), but some things are cheaper - theatre tickets, fruit and veg, bread, baby items, free museums, medical care etc.

It is a big cultural difference. For example, in restaurants prices are more expensive, but the staff are on liveable wages and many people still do not tip. Tipping chambermaids is also very rare here.

The cost is largely due to tax too. There are some fantastic public services in Europe that the Us does not have. A lot is charged through sales tax (21% is the European average - the US average is 9%). Also, in europe, some things are taxed or tolled because so many nationalities make use of the services, the French put it on sales tax as opposed to burdening income tax. In the UK that is also the case.

Baby things and feminine sanitary products are cheaper in the UK than the US and Europe as they are tax exempt.

I find it all very facinating.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Oh, you missed out, except for the weekends, the parks are quieter in August than they are in the April or October School holidays. And they are open until 11pm/midnight - offering more entertainment, the Fantillusion night time parade (this year is rumoured to be it's last run) and fireworks.

We spoke to many people who were staying at IDF and had been to Disney and also to people at Parc Asterix who had also been. Without fail all of them complained about the horrendously long queues at Disney. Those at Parc Asterix were singing the parks praises at the queue times compared to Disney. Quite simply, I'm not prepared to pay the exorbitant prices that Disney charge to spend 3/4 of my time waiting in queues. I also don't want to pay equally exorbitant prices for sub-standard food and the alternative of bringing a picninc for the family and lugging it around the park is not a viable one. We bought the annual passes last time we went but I still found that we didn't experience enough rides to justify the cost.

DLP is a monumental rip off and I'd be quite happy never to go again.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because I don't like aircon. Simple.

Ditto here. The cycling on/off always wakes me up.

Loved using this: http://en.parisinfo.com/ it's easy to get to, but then again, you have the little ones with you, so maybe not so easy. http://en.parisinfo.com/ This is where we bought our passes for the boat and museums.

To get to Normandy (I recommend Bayeux with a day or half day tour with a guide for the WWII sites), you might have to train back into Paris and then train out to Bayeux or St. Lo. To Bayeux it's a 2 hour ride.

As for Paris, the on/off all day boat ride was wonderful.
Like you, we went to the Eiffel Tower, but did not go up (we don't like heights) but, what a structure. I didn't realize it was a brownish - green.

Take care and enjoy. Bon vacanes ! Vous etes au bon endroit !

Last edited:

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
We spoke to many people who were staying at IDF and had been to Disney and also to people at Parc Asterix who had also been. Without fail all of them complained about the horrendously long queues at Disney. Those at Parc Asterix were singing the parks praises at the queue times compared to Disney. Quite simply, I'm not prepared to pay the exorbitant prices that Disney charge to spend 3/4 of my time waiting in queues. I also don't want to pay equally exorbitant prices for sub-standard food and the alternative of bringing a picninc for the family and lugging it around the park is not a viable one. We bought the annual passes last time we went but I still found that we didn't experience enough rides to justify the cost.

DLP is a monumental rip off and I'd be quite happy never to go again.

Interesting, i am guessing you are not theme park people....I find the queus are no worse than most theme parks around the globe. We have been to 68 parks, and at Park asterix, the wait for Tonniere de Zeus or Goudereaux are going to be as long or longer than Space Mountain. There are only two parks in Europe where I would say they have shorter wait times due to better efficiencies - Europa Park and Efteling - both I highly recommend.

As for dining, there are some excellent dining options for anyone thinking of a trip to Disneyland. I highly recommend:

California Grill
The Steakhouse (in the Disney Village)
Silver Spur
Auberge de Cindrillon
Walt's
Annette's (in the Disney Village)

And as much as I love Park Asterix (and I do), the food is even worse quality than Disney. Again, the only parks in Europe with really good food are Tivoli Gardens and Europa Park.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Interesting, i am guessing you are not theme park people....
And as much as I love Park Asterix (and I do), the food is even worse quality than Disney. Again, the only parks in Europe with really good food are Tivoli Gardens and Europa Park.

I do enjoy theme parks but when I go I want to go on the rides, not spend 3/4 of my time queueing. We went to Parc Asterix twice, on a Tuesday and a Friday. Friday was slightly busier but considering we were slap bang in the middle of August I can honestly say I haven't experienced such short queues than I have there.

We had a half decent meal at PA but also the worst meal I've had the misfortune to eat which was at the Circus Restaurant buffet. Truly, truly horrendous. We also ate at Mickey's Cafe in Disney Village and paid 105 euro's for a very mediocre meal.

On the other hand, I ate a fantastically huge crepe filled with potato, cheese, ham, onion, chorizo and cream in Provins. It was delicious and unfinishable and reasonably priced. My advice, starve yourself at Disney and gorge on decent food in a little village.

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
Well the Circus is not owned by Disney and I agree, Cafe Mickey is very poor. We never eat there (hence my suggestions I made for other Tuggers). There are some great dining options in the Val De Europe/Serris - both in the Mall at La Terrasse, and behind it in the Place de Toscana.

Also, I agree, that pancake house in Provins is a real gem. Very good quality, good price, great service, wonderful setting.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you tour Normandy and are from the UK, try to get a tour that does the sites that interest you.

Allow me to explain: My tour did the U.S. focused places of interest, although all the sites are important and interesting, but if you want to focus on sites that are linked to your nationality, do inquire first.

There were folks from Canada who were on my tour and were disappointed that we did not get to the sites where the Canadian forces were engaged or buried.

When I go back, I will visit Sword Beach and the British & Norwegian cemeteries as well as revisiting the American ones. All very moving .