• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Blue Weeks/Homes for exchange

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Has anyone ever tried to exchange a Blue week? I have never had one, but I have a floater coming up soon and was wondering if I should just use it or bank it with an exchange compnay. I can't imagine what kind of trade I could get with it.

Also, I noticed that RCI has quite a lot of homes in the directory for weeks exchange in Scotland. Has anyone ever exchanged into a home? How does that work exactly? What happens if there is a problem at the home - is there someone you could call for maintenance, etc. Are the homes easier to exchange into than a resort?

Keep Traveling

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have done 8 to 10 blue weeks and have always gotten decent trades. They can be super great for last minute stuff as well. They seems to work good in Orlando.

I have some 2/3 bedroom blue weeks that have gotten DVC as well.

Heith

Reaction score
we don't use RCI any more, but when we did i exchanged a blue 3-bedrm smuggs week for an august 2bedrm week in Tenerife - not the most difficult trade in the world but it was exactly what we wanted. I have also deposited blue weeks into DAE and exchanged for summer weeks in Spain at nice resorts - DAE does not have trade power, all weeks are equal.
One year we were looking to go to florida and my blue week in RCI saw 3-bedrm units at OLCC, VV and other orlando resorts at more than 6 months out for school vacation dates.
We have also rented out a couple of blue weeks over the years, for less than our MFs but better than nothing.

don't know about exchanging for homes in Scotland via RCI. i expect they will have a local person to manage each home and a number you can call for maintenance. if you can't get any info on this from RCI in the US you could try calling the UK RCI people (you may need an RCI Europe member to give you a phone number). In my experience they are much more helpful and knowledgable than the US ones!

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Within 45 days of check-in, trading value isn't considered on RCI. Every unit still available at that point is open for everyone. This is a perfect use for any low trading value weeks you deposit.

Dave599

Reaction score
Within 45 days of check-in, trading value isn't considered on RCI. Every unit still available at that point is open for everyone. This is a perfect use for any low trading value weeks you deposit.

Almost but not quite trading value goes out the window at 21 days, not 45, last call extra vacations are 45 days in .......

Dave

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Blue weeks are good for overbuilt areas and last minute trades in RCI, although the latter is not what it used to be. Now the Points people and rentals are competing for the last minute Weeks inventory. I have known people who were retired and very flexible who owned multiple blue weeks for the last minute trades, but they got out when RCI's last minute inventory for Weeks members went south several years ago.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last minute trades aren't as widespread as I would have hoped, but there are some areas with a good amount of inventory.

[Disclaimer: This is looking at August/September inventory - things could be very different in other seasons. Perhaps I should revisit this once a month to get a year-round picture?]

45 days from now is September 25th, and if I look at everything available from now through then, there are 1054 resorts. If I restrict the search to just places with 2BR, it's still 440.

From there, looking by region:

Africa and Middle East is fairly sparce. South Africa and Egypt look like the main places you could pick up "last minute", but most of those resorts only have availability 38-45 days out. If you want to pick any of those up, it would probably be best to grab them right at 45 days.

Asia is fairly sparce, too. India is the main country with a lot of last minute inventory, and likewise most of it is 30-45 days out.

Australia and New Zealand is even more sparce, but what is available appears to be more evenly distributed. Planning right at 45 days wouldn't be as essential.

Canada has almost no last-minute inventory, and half of it is at 45 days out.

Central America is the most sparce right now.

Europe basically only has last minute inventory in the Canary Islands, Finland and Sweden. A fairly good mix in those locations, but most of the inventory is 30-45 days out so this is one you would want to book pretty close to the 45 day window. Anywhere else in Europe wouldn't work well for last minute.

Mexico seems to have good last minute inventory.

South America is relatively sparce, with most of the last minute inventory in Argentina, Boliva and Brazil.

So outside of the US, the most reliable places to pick up last minute inventory appear to be Mexico, South Africa, the Canary Islands, Scandinavia and Argentina. A few other places might be hit or miss. In most places, there's a good chance you won't find anything when you want it.

Inside the US, the most reliable last minute inventory is in Orlando. You can even get into some of the nicer resorts sometimes. (Right now, I see 2BR units in the next 45 days for Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Orange Lake East and West and Sheraton Vistana.) I suspect that you could almost stay year-round in Orlando with last minute exchanges, except perhaps a few holiday weeks.

Texas (inland) has good last minute inventory.

Hot Springs, Arkansas also has good last minute inventory.

One surprising area that has a good selection of inventory is Kauai. There's something available just about every week.

Colorado, Phoenix and Salt Lake City have some last minute inventory. It might be a little too sparce to rely on, though.

So inside the US, it looks like the best bets are Orlando, Texas, Kauai and a few other spots across the middle of the country.

Not the best variety, but there are some places that appear to have consistent last minute inventory. It's hit and miss in many other places, but someone who was flexible (can take off anywhere and can either drive or can fly cheaply) could probably have some good success with an ongoing search.

Last edited:

Dave599

Reaction score
Are you sure about that? I've read several places that it's 45 days, and that's been my personal observation as well.

Yes 21 days is accurate, remember we are talking about trading value not available units, there may be more units available 45 days or so before a check in date because resorts dump excess inventory in to get rid of them before they set empty.

On the trading values look at this example:

We both start a search for the same place, same date, same unit size ect
I start the search 1 day before you.........you have a little bit better trading value then I do. A unit gets deposited.

- 22 days or more and you get the unit, because you have more trading value then I do and on a search it gives it to the person with the best trading value first.

- 21 days or less I get the unit because trading value no longer matters and I started searching before you.

Dave

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes 21 days is accurate, remember we are talking about trading value not available units, there may be more units available 45 days or so before a check in date because resorts dump excess inventory in to get rid of them before they set empty.
I stand by the 45 day number. I just checked the availability for 8/14 - 9/25 (the next 45 days) for four different deposits with different trading values, and all four see exactly the same inventory.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater

On the trading values look at this example:

We both start a search for the same place, same date, same unit size ect
I start the search 1 day before you.........you have a little bit better trading value then I do. A unit gets deposited.

- 22 days or more and you get the unit, because you have more trading value then I do and on a search it gives it to the person with the best trading value first.

- 21 days or less I get the unit because trading value no longer matters and I started searching before you.

Dave

Dave,
Apparently you have more up to date information than we last officially received from Madge. http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26090&highlight=window
I'm curious about your sources.
Jack

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stand by the 45 day number. I just checked the availability for 8/14 - 9/25 (the next 45 days) for four different deposits with different trading values, and all four see exactly the same inventory.
Here's a test for it...

It's almost midnight EDT, and the 9/26 check-ins will be 45 days out then.

Currently, my worst trader sees 255 units at 172 resorts for 9/26 and my best trader sees 264 units at 179 resorts. I'll check again in a couple hours (or in the morning) and see if they see the same inventory and if the visible inventory for 9/26 has increased much.

I really wish I had access to a poor trader. (LOL! Who on TUG wishes for that?) I think it would be more obvious with that.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's a test for it...

Currently, my worst trader sees 255 units at 172 resorts for 9/26 and my best trader sees 264 units at 179 resorts. I'll check again in a couple hours (or in the morning) and see if they see the same inventory and if the visible inventory for 9/26 has increased much.

I really wish I had access to a poor trader. (LOL! Who on TUG wishes for that?) I think it would be more obvious with that.
Hello Michael,
Keep in mind just what it is you are measuring when you interpret the results. Specifically, your online search using the hypothetical antarctic blue week (the weakest trader available) can only see what no ongoing search wanted. In desirable drive-to areas, it may be difficult to derive valid conclusions. Hawaii, on the other hand, poses severe logistical constraints for matches with 45 days or less. Last minute airfare may be prohibitive.
I screen scraped thousands & thousands of rows of Hawaiian RCI exchange data in past years. I've posted my conclusions before. I have not bothered to repeat the studies since successive waves of RCI changes. The old data and conclusions may be invalid. That is why I am curious about Dave's source(s).
Jack

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a test for it...

Okay 9am and now for 9/26 they all see 267 units at 177 resorts.

One destination I had specifically looked at... Before, they only saw a single Hawaii unit, which was 1BR. Now, they see three units, two of which are 2BR.

If anyone has a really bad trader in RCI, I would be interested to see if you see the same thing for 9/26. Just click on Search for a Vacation, September 2010, and then 26 on the calendar.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind just what it is you are measuring when you interpret the results. Specifically, your online search using the hypothetical antarctic blue week (the weakest trader available) can only see what no ongoing search wanted.
Right. I would expect that more inventory became available than what I see this morning, but that it when to Ongoing Searches and those who have figured out that you can find good stuff exactly 45 days out.

I'm curious what time the inventory actually starts appearing. I was up until about 1:30am and it never showed up, but it's there this morning.

Dave599

Reaction score
Dave,
Apparently you have more up to date information than we last officially received from Madge. http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26090&highlight=window
Jack

I looked at your link, that was 4 years ago that's ancient history they don't call it <R>apid <C>hange <I>nternational for nothing. I have a very good friend that works in the main office in Indianapolis she has been great at helping me to understand the system, and keeping me up on whats coming. Without her I would not nearly understand the whole system as well as I do......

Dave

itisme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave,
Jack

This message from Madge clearly says trading power is no longer considered 45 days out but VEP is. That means you can see all inventory within 45 days that are not filtered by the VEP of the resort deposit you are searching with.

However, if there are existing ongoing searches that will pickup a specific less than 45 day week, it will not show up until it no longer gets picked up by an on-going search. Less than 21 days out that specific unit can no longer be picked up by an on-going search.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... I have a very good friend that works in the main office in Indianapolis she has been great at helping me to understand the system, and keeping me up on whats coming. Without her I would not nearly understand the whole system as well as I do......
Dave
Dave,
Thanks for the updated info on RCI. It’s nice to have an almost inside source again. I just perused all your posts, but I don’t recall seeing the answer to the following question.
Ongoing searches used to cease functioning within 14 days of check in unless the consumer contacted RCI via phone or email and specifically requested that be overridden. A consequence of that override is that matches were automatically confirmed.
One result was that a lot of interesting exchanges (with a weak trader) only appear in my old data inside 14 days.
What is RCI’s current practice and threshold? At what standard lead time does the ongoing search quit matching?
Has the consumer requested override procedure changed?
I look forward to reading your posts.
Thanks,
Jack

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a checkbox when setting up an ongoing search where you can continue to receive close date reservations. The last checkbox on the form says: "If selected you agree to accept a reservation within 3 to 14 days of travel date."