• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deedback - Affect on Credit?

terpsfan82

Reaction score
All -

I've been offered a deedback on a timeshare (SPM). I have no balance on the property, but I have not paid any annual dues/fees in over 5 years. I just have to pay a fraction of the balance that is currently in collections, and I will be allowed to deed it back to the resort owner. Two questions:

1) What affect (if any) will the deedback have on my credit? I would hope none, since there are no outstanding loan balances but just overdue fees. I would also hope that they don't go out of their way to report this to the credit bureaus.

2) Will I be sent a 1099 or similar so the resort can write off the unpaid fees?

Thanks in advance

-terpsfan82

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
All -

I've been offered a deedback on a timeshare (SPM). I have no balance on the property, but I have not paid any annual dues/fees in over 5 years. I just have to pay a fraction of the balance that is currently in collections, and I will be allowed to deed it back to the resort owner. Two questions:

1) What affect (if any) will the deedback have on my credit? I would hope none, since there are no outstanding loan balances but just overdue fees. I would also hope that they don't go out of their way to report this to the credit bureaus.

2) Will I be sent a 1099 or similar so the resort can write off the unpaid fees?

Thanks in advance

-terpsfan82

I don't think you'll get a 1099 because you didn't have a loan. I believe this will be recorded in your credit history as "settled for less than owed." They aren't doing you a favor, btw. They are getting something from you instead of nothing, and they are saving themselves the legal costs of foreclosing your deed.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you can negotiate that the Resort will not report anything regarding the settlement to the Credit Reporting Agencies. I'm fuzzy on this but I think the Resort may have an obligation to report to the IRS via a 1099 the difference between the amount you gave them and the amount owed.

George

PS I did 5 Deedbacks at 5 different Resorts where everything was current and nothing ever showed up on my Credit Reports.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
PS I did 5 Deedbacks at 5 different Resorts where everything was current and nothing ever showed up on my Credit Reports.

Note IF YOU ARE CURRENT there should be nothing on your credit report if you do a "deed back"

You may have a hit on your credit score if you owe money.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I would think that any negative hit on your credit would have already been applied if you are 5 years delinquent in maint fees.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
A 1099-C for debt forgiveness is only for financial institutions. A resort or HOA is not one of the entity types that would file a 1099-C.

You say the fees are in collections so I would think they are already on your credit report. Have you checked? They should not hit the credit report a second time but unfortunately if they are on the credit report and a payment is applied it is going to reset the clock for when it drops off.

Last edited: