• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

PROFECO got me my refund!

hibbert6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you to all who encouraged me last year!

In April 2005 I bought a week at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, then rescinded by following instructions TO THE LETTER. But the resort claimed that my $3200 down payment was non-refundable. Then, after agreeing that I had met all the requirements to rescind, they sold my contract to a servicing company! I contacted PROFECO, and though it took them over a year, they got me my money back, direct deposited to my account.:D

My advice - keep a printed copy of every correspondence, create a log of every phone call and action you take, with the person's name, address if possible, phone number and date and time. All snail mail MUST be sent registered - it's the only proof you have that an actual person with a name received what you sent. And be patient. PROFECO is bizarre - sometimes they don't answer their phones, there is no voice mail, I had to fax them my paperwork several times, I received email from several different people within PROFECO handling my case... and I had to be persistent. But for $3200, it was well worth it. And my effort and persistence paid off. Hallelujah!

Dave

rsonc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Allegro, Melia, VI Resorts
Congratulation's on getting your money back.

Susan

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Good for you and good advice for others. Profeco has been known to be frustrating, but they have also been known to get things done. Not so good for the Pueblo Bonito resorts' reputation.

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
hibbert6 said:
Thank you to all who encouraged me last year!

In April 2005 I bought a week at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, then rescinded by following instructions TO THE LETTER. But the resort claimed that my $3200 down payment was non-refundable. Then, after agreeing that I had met all the requirements to rescind, they sold my contract to a servicing company! I contacted PROFECO, and though it took them over a year, they got me my money back, direct deposited to my account.:D

My advice - keep a printed copy of every correspondence, create a log of every phone call and action you take, with the person's name, address if possible, phone number and date and time. All snail mail MUST be sent registered - it's the only proof you have that an actual person with a name received what you sent. And be patient. PROFECO is bizarre - sometimes they don't answer their phones, there is no voice mail, I had to fax them my paperwork several times, I received email from several different people within PROFECO handling my case... and I had to be persistent. But for $3200, it was well worth it. And my effort and persistence paid off. Hallelujah!

Dave
Good for you! This is exactly what I write to everyone who contacts me. Thanks for sharing your news. :D

hibbert6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best of luck, and patience.

Kraddy said:
They are in the process of getting me some back to, for what it is worth.

Be patient and persistent. Assume that your case is falling through the cracks and don't let PROFECO let that happen. Hopefully, it will pay off!

Dave

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Dave, I'm so happy you got some good results through Profeco and your own persistence. We did the tour at Sunset Beach last Wednesday and the next day at the pool at the Rose a couple we had met on the shuttle going over there said they had bought a unit at Sunset Beach. They were pretty happy with their purchase and I didn't want to make them feel bad.

The next morning they mentioned that they were having second thoughts, so I began talking to them about TUG, buying resale, and the fact that they had only this one opportunity to rescind, but they would have many other opportunities to buy if they wanted to.

The following morning I spent a little time on TUG and noticed your success with Profeco. As I was going out to the pool, I ran into the couple on their way over to Sunset Beach to rescind. I told them about Profeco in case things got ugly over there, and I also told them they had so many days by law to rescind the contract. (I thought it was 7 days but they were told it is 5 days in Mexico.)

Fortunately for them, the lady they spoke with at Sunset Beach was very, very nice. She said this often happened and she took care of everything, refunded their deposit, but took back a couple of the gifts they had received for doing the tour. They were happy to oblige and were very relieved to get out of the contract. Now they have the time to research their next purchase if they decide to buy a timeshare.

taffy19

Reaction score
Karen, you were there at the right time!!!!! That couple lucked out. :D Also nice to hear that the company didn't give them any hassle.

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
Dave, good for you. I am sure these timeshare companies figure they will just wear down consumers who change their minds. Your tenacity saved you a good chunk of change. Kudos.