• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

finding marketvalue of timeshare

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Unless you own at one of the top resorts (Westin, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, Disney) the typical value of your timeshare is probably 0-10% of what you paid for it.

To see the bottom line - go to timeshare sales on ebay and see what your timeshare is actually selling for (not just the advertised price.)

Timeshare sales on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Timeshares-for-Sale-/15897/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=timeshare

Put the exact name of your timeshare in the search box.

When the results come up, scroll down and click on SOLD LISTINGS on the bottom left - to see the actually SELLING prices.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The single most important point is to differentiate between actual sales prices vs. asking prices; some sellers are clueless and their asking prices provide no clue as to the prices at which deals are made.

Start with eBay; check for closed auctions (bearing in mind that the actual transaction may not have closed at that price or at all). eBay is the bargain basement, but at least there is some data there.

If it is a Marriott, try the ROFR database on the Marriott board (whether Marriott exercised its right of first refusal at a specific price).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

tslayton

Reaction score
Sale and transfer of deed

If you have a friend interested in buying one of your deeds, how do you go about getting the set up with Wyndham taken care of?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you have a friend interested in buying one of your deeds, how do you go about getting the set up with Wyndham taken care of?
Wyndham doesn't take care of it. You would pay a closing company to prepare the deed and process the transfer. Paying Wyndham their transfer fee is part of the process. You can skip the closing company but only if you want to prepare the deed and do all of the county recordings yourself. If that is the case once you have recorded the new deed you would contact Wyndham and pay the transfer fee yourself.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

The extortion transfer fee charged by Wyndham and briefly referenced above is currently $299; you should decide with your friend who is going to pay it, as Wyndham will not process or acknowedge the transfer until such time as that ransom demand payment has been received, cashed and cleared.

Before that final step however, you must first get a new deed prepared and officially recorded in the name of the new owner, either doing so on your own or by engaging (and paying for) the services of a closing company. As already pointed out above, Wyndham isn't going to "take care of" anything beyond the processing of a $299 transfer fee check and acknowledging (after the check clears) a new owner after also having received a copy of new and already officially recorded deed. It is your responsibility to get a recorded deed copy to Wyndham along with the required transfer fee payment, although a closing company can / will handle this on your behalf.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Unless you own at one of the top resorts (Westin, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, Disney) the typical value of your timeshare is probably 0-10% of what you paid for it.

To see the bottom line - go to timeshare sales on ebay and see what your timeshare is actually selling for (not just the advertised price.)

Well that was depressing. Just for grins I looked up Maui Lea at Maui Hill where we own. One unit sold for $375.00 and another for $1.00. These were both 2-bedroom summer units.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I would start by assuming the value is zero then do some searching around to see if any have sold recently for more than that. It could be a long search.

Many people have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that what they paid tens of thousands for can go to zero in a hurry but that is Timeshare World today.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well that was depressing. Just for grins I looked up Maui Lea at Maui Hill where we own. One unit sold for $375.00 and another for $1.00. These were both 2-bedroom summer units.

Based on your tenure, and post count, that shouldn't be of a surprise to you ?

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can skip the closing company but only if you want to prepare the deed and do all of the county recordings yourself.

I have only sold one (non Wyndham, but a similar transfer fee) and went the do it yourself deed preparation and recording. for what I saved I would never do it again.

I regularly prepare and record liens against real property for unpaid construction materials, but the transfer documents have additional requirements that can cause additional delays when you only do it one time.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Timeshare sales on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Timeshares-for-Sale-/15897/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=timeshare

Put the exact name of your timeshare in the search box.

When the results come up, scroll down and click on SOLD LISTINGS on the bottom left - to see the actually SELLING prices.

Thanks DeniseM, I now may do a sales presentation and I am going to show this web site to the very knowledgeable time share sales person!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks DeniseM, I now may do a sales presentation and I am going to show this web site to the very knowledgeable time share sales person!

Print it out and take it with you.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Zippity Doodah.

Market value of our timeshares is so low that we gave away six -- 6 -- of'm.

One we deeded back to the timeshare, with permission & cooperation.

Another we deeded over to a major timeshare company, also with permission & cooperation.

One, in a far-distant land overseas, we simply abandoned. It quit being a timeshare & we quit paying annual fees. I assume we went from being delinquent to being non-owners via some sort of administrative or judicial process. We never received any communication from them -- no bills, no statements, no late notices, no collection letters, no judicial/administrative notifications, nothing. We're done with it & apparently it's done with us.

Three timeshares we gave away el freebo to regular walking around people. We figured it was less trouble to give'm away for nothing than to try selling'm for next to nothing.

Fortunately, we didn't pay much for any of our timeshares & we enjoyed'm while we had'm. Over the years, we at least broke even or maybe came out ahead slightly in enjoying luxury vacation accommodations at Motel 6 & Super 8 rates.

Today, we're down to just one -- 1 -- timeshare, a triennial 2BR-2BA points unit in Kissimmee, Florida, USA. As fate or karma would have it, that resort is the 1 where we caught the timeshare bug when we took their high-pressure sales tour in 2002. We didn't buy back then. Years later, thanks to TUG & the discovery of resale via eBay, we bought in for peanuts -- i.e., paid less to buy (including free closing & free transfer & free points) than the owners paid for 1 use-year's maintenance fee. Is this a great country or what ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
At my last (ever) presentation, I just said I can walk across the street and buy form the reseller who maintains an office across the street from the DRI property in South Lake Tahoe, I had a copy of their listings for sale. All I got was double talk on how they DRI could give me a superior product for less money and more stress.

The best solution is to enjoy your vacation and just say no, you don't need an exit strategy if you do not play their game.

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
One, in a far-distant land overseas, we simply abandoned. It quit being a timeshare & we quit paying annual fees. I assume we went from being delinquent to being non-owners via some sort of administrative or judicial process. We never received any communication from them -- no bills, no statements, no late notices, no collection letters, no judicial/administrative notifications, nothing. We're done with it & apparently it's done with us

I am assuming you are referring to one of the infamous South African properties that went from Tiger Traders to Feral Alley Cat.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
That's About The Size Of It.

I am assuming you are referring to one of the infamous South African properties that went from Tiger Traders to Feral Alley Cat.
You are correct, sir.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

RMoss221

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG sales database

want to sell my timeshare but don't have a clue what it's worth?

I'm in the same situation. I just joined TUGand the article on How to Sell Your Timeshare suggests "check the TUG sales database (to which you have access if you are a TUG member)."

I'm hoping it has data on past sales prices. However, I can't seem to find it on the TUG website. Can somebody tell me where it is?

Thanks!
Richard

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping it has data on past sales prices. However, I can't seem to find it on the TUG website. Can somebody tell me where it is?

Go to the resorts review section:

http://tug2.com

Find the particular resort you want, and then when you find it, click on the tab that says "Price History".

Last edited by a moderator:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO

that would represent asking price not sale price,

I have a fundamental difference opinion in the statistical accuracy of the TUG sales database .

YMMV

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
IMHO

that would represent asking price not sale price,

I have a fundamental difference opinion in the statistical accuracy of the TUG sales database .

YMMV

I can say with certainty that for one resort I'm very familiar with, the TUG data base doesn't reflect the reality of Timeshare world today.

Here's a link to a resort with that name on eBay. The higher numbers were rentals. Green were sold and black had no bids.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...rt&_nkw=Divi+little+bay+beach+resort&_sacat=0

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

That's what I paid for mine on ebay back in 2011 - and I wound up with an ocean view unit. There are still some onsite resales going for much more. How they sell them is beyond me - because they are getting in the thousands - but there are some people willing to buy at that price point. You can list it with Nancy Benson at the resort if you want to sell. She will also provide you with the list of recent sales at the resort.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas