• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! Wyndham Discovery Questions

laperkins

Reaction score
Last year, my husband and I went through a wyndham presentation in las vegas. We did not purchase at the time because we had already purchased into DVC. But I left there with a Wyndham discovery package. I never used my points that I purchased and am considering converting them to a ownership. I have been speaking with a Wyndham sales person. I was needing some advice. I see that everyone says buy resale. I don't want to pay 15K plus maintenance fees. But I have these 300K points I am going to lose in a couple of months. Do I walk away from the money I have given for the 300K Pts? Looking for some advice. Your help is greatly appreciated.

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year, my husband and I went through a wyndham presentation in las vegas. We did not purchase at the time because we had already purchased into DVC. But I left there with a Wyndham discovery package. I never used my points that I purchased and am considering converting them to a ownership. I have been speaking with a Wyndham sales person. I was needing some advice. I see that everyone says buy resale. I don't want to pay 15K plus maintenance fees. But I have these 300K points I am going to lose in a couple of months. Do I walk away from the money I have given for the 300K Pts? Looking for some advice. Your help is greatly appreciated.

You could look into making a reservation that you could rent with those points and perhaps recoup some of your money that way. When do the points expire? MAybe if you could pick up a popular Xmas or Thanksgiving week.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to understand the price (dollars you paid) for the Discovery Package is GONE ... GONE the day after the original RESCIND deadline expired.

You need to either go on vacation or send someone else on vacation to USE those points up. If all else fails, gift the vacation to a NONPROFIT for a fundraiser. Booking several long weekends to auction them off.

I know what a DISCOVERY points are -- do YOU have to use them yourself ONLY and sit with a sales representative for each vacation? Are you prevented from gifting a stay for your mother or brother?

Yes, you should WALK AWAY from the Discovery purchase money. Spending $25,000 to save $ABCD Discovery funds is totally a bad idea. Plus, I bet you would have to get a LOAN in order to buy a real point package which comes with your DREADED MFs. More debt.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could look into making a reservation that you could rent with those points and perhaps recoup some of your money that way. When do the points expire? MAybe if you could pick up a popular Xmas or Thanksgiving week.

The Discovery package promo - has special inventory for "HIGH VALUE" times - sending a guest option might be limited.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The maintenance fees on 300000 points will be closer to $1500 a year, not the $15000 you quoted, but my advice is the same...Use the Discovery points or not, just dont "convert it into a new purchase. that would be throwing good money after bad. You didnt use the Discovery package, what make you think you will use a permanent ownership?

Last edited:

laperkins

Reaction score
We had to use our Disney and I thought I had until end of 2014 to use the Wyndham points but obviously I was wrong. I somehow activated the early usage of the points by paying for it upfront instead of financing it. I have changed jobs in the last year which changed my vacation time. We use our Disney vacation club, but they have limited resorts. I would not want to buy more points. I am not sure if Wyndham would be the place to have ownership or would another vacation club be better. I am looking to buy resale. We would use it.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had to use our Disney and I thought I had until end of 2014 to use the Wyndham points but obviously I was wrong. I somehow activated the early usage of the points by paying for it upfront instead of financing it. I have changed jobs in the last year which changed my vacation time. We use our Disney vacation club, but they have limited resorts. I would not want to buy more points. I am not sure if Wyndham would be the place to have ownership or would another vacation club be better. I am looking to buy resale. We would use it.

Consider the cash you paid for Discovery a sunk cost. It is best to make a reservation for a nearby resort (make that surprise Thanksgiving or Christmas vacation!) by the end of the year, or let the points expire. Do you have an online Wyndham account with Discovery, or do you need to call a vacation counselor to book?

As Linda mentions, Wyndham may hold inventory for Discovery for late bookings like you would be making. Just realize if you DO get a late holiday booking, that would likely NEVER happen once you have a regular membership (no matter whether it was bought resale or retail).

It would be extremely difficult to make the financial case to buy permanent developer points just because the Discovery payment is applied to the purchase.

I should know, I was one of those Discovery-turned-retail-buyers many, many years ago! I've learned much since then! :)

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure on expiration date? The ones I have seen state 18-24 months from purchase date.

The sales pitch is, gosh you have put up around $2,500 which will make down payment you cannot afford not to buy say 200K points.
Plus since you could not use other points I will bonus you 200K and make a Silver VIP. New BFF!

The Discovery money is sunk and giving them more money which will immediately vaporize makes no sense.

Stay away from sales weasels as their are hazardous to your financial health.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
...As Linda mentions, Wyndham may hold inventory for Discovery for late bookings like you would be making. Just realize if you DO get a late holiday booking, that would likely NEVER happen once you have a regular membership (no matter whether it was bought resale or retail).....:)

I was next door to an early Mar neighbor who check into the best beachfront resort in Pompano for 3 nights - strange, as almost everybody in resort was camp there for weeks booked 13 months in advance. Ask him when did he book --- like 10 days early, just called in looking for 3 or 4 nights, they offered him this. And the other near by beach area resort. Totally weird as I would check the system multiple times a day -- then he looked at me FUNNY, and said he could only book by calling in... ask call in where, the Discovery program ... short stays, special inventory, no RTs or HKs ... wait til they get to the REAL Wyndham World.

staceyeileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much did you pay for the 300K discovery points? Bottom line is that you need to make a reservation for check-in before the end of the year... use it yourself, make it for a friend, rent it out...

Whatever you do, do NOT buy more points from Wyndham.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was next door to an early Mar neighbor who check into the best beachfront resort in Pompano for 3 nights - strange, as almost everybody in resort was camp there for weeks booked 13 months in advance. Ask him when did he book --- like 10 days early, just called in looking for 3 or 4 nights, they offered him this. And the other near by beach area resort. Totally weird as I would check the system multiple times a day -- then he looked at me FUNNY, and said he could only book by calling in... ask call in where, the Discovery program ... short stays, special inventory, no RTs or HKs ... wait til they get to the REAL Wyndham World.
If it is there at 10 days, makes one wonder when (or IF) Wyndham lets unbooked Discovery inventory back into the pool. I'm guessing they don't, and instead the cost of holding these rooms contributes to the 40-60% of retail price that goes towards marketing and sales.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
It made total sense to me about the special inventory --- if they own a Discovery package for 18 months, they would have too much to learn AND for the BEST stuff, Beach in FL in March or BEACH in SC in July ... all the good dates would be totally gone. HOLD BACK some stuff and let 2 different Discovery people get the week (4 nights one, 3 nights the other) ... chances are they would NEVER get close enough to talk to REAL Wyndham owners to hear the truth. Plus, I think Discovery people also do an Owner's Update each stay.

This guy was there to go to the horse track - he would have been happier at Palm Aire - he was a Royal Vista with a sweet high view of the ocean. And he was really happy with how the Wyndham system worked.

laperkins

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your response. I am going to use the points and not purchase. I would still like to purchase a resale. Any safe sites that would be good to purchase through. I know ebay, but just wanting some reputable sites or anyone on her looking to get rid of their timeshares.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check the Bargain Deals - I know I have several timeshare give-a-ways posted. :)