• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wellington Place TN Special Assesment [merged]

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received a notice of $600 special assessment for Wellington Place Fairfield Glade TN. This is for exterior renovations. The HOA did send pictures of before and after. They were going to do it in stages but after three were done the board felt that it was imperative to finish the other six buildings. They are replacing the roofs, gutters, siding and windows. Composite decks, stairwells and vinyl railings will also be replaced. This is my first dealing with Special Assessments. I was surprised by it.

eafinct

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got my notice too -- this essentially equals a full year of monthly maintenance for me. I have to say I resent having years of neglected maintenance now dumped on me -- a lot of routine maintenance was obviously not done. Upgrade and renovation should have been done over many prior years. I've only owned this timeshare for a few years but now have to pick up the tab for the board's neglect over decades. I've got a kid leaving for college in a month and tuition payment due; don't have $600 to spare before 9/15. NOT good timing! Even having this special assessment phased in over 6 months would be better.

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a converted week at Wellington Place. I also received that letter. The exterior pictures show some serious issues that definitely need renovation. I didn't realize the buildings are 30 years old. They have been keeping up with updates, though, as it's gold crown and has nice renovated interiors.

My question is whether owners that are in points need to pay the SA as a lump sum or will it get rolled into our monthly charges?

Lori2221

Reaction score
I also received my notice. Does anyone know how many owners Wellington Place has? I'd sure like to know! Also, no phone number to call with letter, just an email to send to and you get a sorry response back. Who did the work to start with? Maybe the contracting company should be contacted. Where are the estimates for renovations? Let's see names and numbers. It's insane to just toss an unexpected $600 bill at someone with a short time frame in getting it paid. My referrals to Wyndham are done at this point!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't target the hired contractors...

Who did the work to start with? Maybe the contracting company should be contacted. Where are the estimates for renovations? Let's see names and numbers. It's insane to just toss an unexpected $600 bill at someone with a short time frame in getting it paid. My referrals to Wyndham are done at this point!

I don't claim to know anything about this resort whatsoever, but with all due respect the true issue here is unlikely to actually be related in any way to contractor costs. Multiple bids were almost certainly obtained by the HOA before a work contract was ever awarded in the first place (and probably awarded to the lowest bidder).

The true issue is likely that financial reserves have simply been insufficient and inadequate, creating an unfortunate (but inevitable) "deferred maintenance" situation.
Your HOA may have been trying to keep the maintenance fees down, but if in doing so they failed to also have adequate reserves on hand at all times, then a special assessment at some point was likely inevitable. As in all timeshares, whatever and whererever they may be, it's "pay now or pay later" for facility maintenance. :shrug:

Last edited:

Lori2221

Reaction score
No blame, just a passing thought

I was just looking for some kind of "excuse" for maintenance fees perhaps not being utilized correctly. The contractor thought was a passing one. As I said before, I'd like to know how many owners there are to see how much comes in per year in maintenance fees PLUS this $600 per week held. Regardless, it's s hit and blindsides people that don't have a savings plan or budget for this type of expense.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just looking for some kind of "excuse" for maintenance fees perhaps not being utilized correctly. The contractor thought was a passing one. As I said before, I'd like to know how many owners there are to see how much comes in per year in maintenance fees PLUS this $600 per week held. Regardless, it's s hit and blindsides people that don't have a savings plan or budget for this type of expense.

Doesn't your HOA issue to you an annual, detailed financial / budget report? They should. If so, do you read it? If they don't issue one, why not?

A very close approximation of how many owners there might be at your particular facility is a relatively easy calculation (assuming that the place is sold out).
The total number of units at your facility is easily determined with a single phone call to the resort, if you don't already know. Multiplying that number by 51 will yield an approximate number of owned weeks. Whether some owners own multiple weeks is irrelevant, since each individual week incurs an individual maintenance fee.
(Yes, I do know there are actually 52 weeks in a year; I'm just allowing for a deep cleaning week per unit and some (varying number) HOA-owned weeks, neither of which yield any maintenance fee payments, so I am just loosely using 51 weeks as the multiplier to obtain a rough estimate of owned weeks ).

Again though, I frankly think that the real answers you seek derive from very different questions than the ones you are even currently asking.
A special assessment is always unwelcome, but the relevant question is why was it necessary and why couldn't existing financial reserves on hand cover the repairs?

Last edited:

pagosajim

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a converted week at Wellington Place. \

Knowing that this HOA is based on converted fixed weeks tells me the association is likely dealing with a significant amount of bad debt due to owner delinquencies. I would guess they've been drawing down reserves just to keep the operating financial stream afloat and/or postponing scheduled maintenance due to lower than expected reserve funding.

It's extremely difficult to collect on many of the delinquent accounts, and the bad debt just continues to accumulate. Even if you can foreclose on some accounts, you now need an outlet to find a paying customer to assume ownership while in the meantime, the association is saddled with the financial responsibility for the week. Oh, and let's remember that these are now fixed weeks that are no longer converted to points (if indeed they ever were), which makes them less attractive on the open market. So now you are almost forced to strike a deal with Wyndham sales to market your week, most likely through CWA, which comes with a host of requirements placed on the association in order to be accepted into that program.

Sorry for the rant. Been there, done that, sat on the board that approved that, and paid the special assessment at another Wyndham property.

massvacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that it feels like we were blindsided. From the notice that I received in the mail, I think that they had planned on doing phased exterior renovations over a number of years and baking the costs into the maintained fees....like pushing them up like $150 per year over 4 years - for example.

I think the contractor started doing some if the units and discovered serious issues that really needed to be taken care of ( like water seepage)

This is we hat I am deducing from reading the notice.

I do think the reserves must have been inadequate

I bought in 2010 and the maintained fees were like $490 plus the VOA fee, so my cost per 1K points was less than $4....they have been pushing up the maintainence fees over the last 3 years

They do issue detailed financials every year

Tom T

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham [Merged at this point]

Just received a bill from Wellington Place HOA for $600. What happened to the fees I have paid every year since 1987? They say they:doh::eek: need it for renovations? Why weren't the buildings maintained with the fees that I sent?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The dreaded "Special Assessment."

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received a bill from Wellington Place HOA for $600. What happened to the fees I have paid every year since 1987? They say they:doh::eek: need it for renovations? Why weren't the buildings maintained with the fees that I sent?
Well discussed in this current/recent thread:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214408

Perhaps a Mod can merge this thread with the one in the URL.

Tom T

TUG Member
Reaction score
HOA Special Assesment.

WHat happens if you refuse to pay???

Joe33426

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
WHat happens if you refuse to pay???

The same as if you don't pay your maintenance fees....

Ultimately, no use of your timeshare, foreclosure, and ding on your credit report.

Tom T

TUG Member
Reaction score
They do send a report.

But it says nothing about being short of funds! Surprise!!!!!!

Last edited:

Tom T

TUG Member
Reaction score
Color me gone!!!!

After being an owner since 1988 and have seen fees go up every year it's no wonder they have bad debt. I'm fed up and have been retired for 14 years and have received no raises in that time. I will use TUG, VRBO, and Home away from now on. I guess your fees will go up even faster! :annoyed:

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
After being an owner since 1988 and have seen fees go up every year it's no wonder they have bad debt. I'm fed up and have been retired for 14 years and have received no raises in that time. I will use TUG, VRBO, and Home away from now on. I guess your fees will go up even faster! :annoyed:
Fees going up annually is a fact of timeshare life. Heck, it's a fact of life in general.

I feel your pain, but IF you are implying just walking away from the TS, that will simply exacerbate the bad debt problem. It's not your current fellow owners' fault that this SA occurred (although perhaps too many former owners took this non-paying route in the past). I humbly suggest you sell or give your ownership away (which may need some seller incentives, and may include having to pay the SA anyways) to a new owner to get out from future MF/SA liabilities. The TUG Bargain Deals subforum might be a good place to start.

Last edited:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
But it says nothing about being short of funds! Surprise!!!!!!

It does not take a CPA to see if cash reserve fund is a few bucks or a million plus which would be expected for older resort.

Operating funds pay for daily expenses just like you pay property taxes, insurance, fixing appliances, utilities, maintaining lawn, etc. on house/condo.

If you do not set aside funds for new roof, major painting, refurbishing interior, dive way, you put on CC or HEL. HOA does SA!

As I mentioned previously, if HOA is not putting ball park 20% in cash reserve you will have a SA.

jerrys30

Reaction score
How Often Does This Happen?

I own 2 deeds at Wellington and aaas hit by an unexpected $1200 bill. I am new to the timeshare world having owned these deeds for 2 years and I bought them for next to nothing on eBay. I have generally been happy with the cost to value I get out of the Wyndham points but this changes things. Now I am trying to decide if I should just sell or give away my points and get out. How often do these assessments happen? Is there a way to tell how many times it has happened in the past and if it is likely to happen again soon?

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own 2 deeds at Wellington and aaas hit by an unexpected $1200 bill. I am new to the timeshare world having owned these deeds for 2 years and I bought them for next to nothing on eBay. I have generally been happy with the cost to value I get out of the Wyndham points but this changes things. Now I am trying to decide if I should just sell or give away my points and get out. How often do these assessments happen? Is there a way to tell how many times it has happened in the past and if it is likely to happen again soon?

They are worth what you paid for them, minus the $1,200 you owe as the owner of record when the special assessment was assessed.

If you are getting value, then add $1,200 to your sunk cost, if not you will have to pay at least the $ 1,200 to be able to transfer.

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wellington SA

This was my first experience with SA. I too bought this TS from Ebay. Of course, I was not happy with the unexpected expense. However, the low cost for purchasing from Ebay and the cost of the SA still makes it a great deal. Hopefully, there wont be anymore unexpected SAs. I love my TS. I love all the vacations I now take that I own these.

massvacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wrote a check for the $600 SA

When I bought the contract in 2010 the maint fees were about $3.95 per thousand points

Now they are:

HOA= $727.49
Program Fee = $84.70
TOTAL = $812.19

my contract gets 154,000 points

So, $812/154 = $5.27 per 1K points

5.27 is still pretty good

hopefully this SA fixes the issues and we can go back to small annual increases